Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Catalyst Drivers

The ATI Graphics Drivers & Software Page leads the way to new version 9.5 Catalyst reference drivers for ATI accelerators. The new drivers were expected last week and delayed to yesterday before appearing today, and the problems getting them online may relate to the fact that the link to the patch notes is broken as of this writing, so for now there's no word on what's changed. Thanks Bill. Update: The release notes link now works, but points to the version 9.4 notes (d'oh!). ATI does send along word that the new drivers offer performance gains of up to 10% for both single GPU and CrossFireX configurations in Company of Heroes and BattleForge performance gains of up to 10% for ATI CrossFireX configurations.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 20, 2009, 04:05 Ant

Nothing for old XP users in release notes?

This comment was edited on May 20, 2009, 04:06.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 20:28 ldonyo

The Release Notes now point to the 9.5 document. Interestingly enough, the 9.5 Cats seem to have fixes for Vista and Windows 7 only.  

16. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 17:50 everyone

Strange. I just clicked through like I always do from the ATI/AMD driver site, XP Pro, Radeon, 4800 series, and it gets to this page:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
From there, I click the link, and I get that leech page error, but this is the first time ever in like 10 driver revisions since I switched back to ATI that this has ever happened to me. Odd. Maybe they did something different with this release that they weren't doing with older ones.

edit - However, right clicking and going "Save link as..." works fine. Odd.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 17:56.

15. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 17:29 Dades

Also, I have NEVER had any problems with downloading drivers from the AMD site. I use the latest version of Firefox. Those of you who are having issues may want to uninstall and remove any traces from the registry as download managers such as DownThemAll and others may be causing some kind of conflict which simply reinstalling does not fix. ???

I've had this problem ever since the switchover to AMD's hosting platform, it has nothing to do with download managers or browsers. You can get the error in IE, Firefox, Safari and all that. It's just a problem with their host, it's pretty widely known on most tech forums. People have been complaining for a long time, AMD has a contract with Akamai though so they can't do much about it other than complain.

14. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 15:53 everyone

If this analysis of the leaked version of the drivers is true

Guh. They weren't leaked. They were RELEASED, but the guys who update the site were away and unable to add it to the AMD site. AMD themselves even said "go ahead and download these new WHQL'd 9.5s" stating that they wouldn't be up on the site until the next week, but that they should be the same drivers.

Also, I have NEVER had any problems with downloading drivers from the AMD site. I use the latest version of Firefox. Those of you who are having issues may want to uninstall and remove any traces from the registry as download managers such as DownThemAll and others may be causing some kind of conflict which simply reinstalling does not fix. ???

13. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 15:42 theyarecomingforyou

Download unauthorized. It's a common problem, google it. I'm happy you have it working but I am using no addons with Firefox 3.0.10 and am receiving that. It's something related to their content hoster, Akamai. Ok buddy old pal?
I was merely pointing out that it's not the browser because I haven't had any issues.

You can also easily reproduce the problem. Click this link:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-5_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe
Nope, that works for me. EDIT: Ha, on the third try in took me to an "unauthorised" page. Seems pretty sketchy.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 15:43.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 15:00 Verno

Crysis benchmarks are hilarious, the range of FPS seems to be 9-23.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 14:50 skyguy

If this analysis of the leaked version of the drivers is true:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2764/ati_catalyst_9_5_vista_driver_analysis/index.html

then 9.5 absolutely destroys performance on the 4850.

10. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 14:35 Verno

I wish it was something that simple, it's rejecting my HTTP referer even when it comes from AMD/ATI. It doesn't do this on my home machine. My friend has this problem as well with IE. This is documented on their forums and other spots on the web. I think in reality some Akamai servers are giving an improper 404 and the file hasn't actually been propogated to the rest of the mirrors in the cluster. I really doubt it's just one massive NFS.

Either way, it's not a huge deal, just an annoyance that's been going on for a long time. I am generally pretty happy with ATI drivers, they were horrible in the Rage3D Pro days but we've come a long way since then. I think most people bitch about their drivers because of past things they've heard as opposed to any reality.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 14:37.

9. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 14:31 MMORPGHoD

You can also easily reproduce the problem. Click this link:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-5_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe

Wow, you get the error message. Why? Because you're coming from BluesNews instead of the ATI page.

Click this link then click the download button, which links to the equivalent file above.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

Wow, it works.

Now we can debate about random bugs and all that, but it's hardly a critical "cannot download drivers with FireFox". It's more likely a problem that can happen to any browser, especially if the referring page isn't being revealed. I'd bet alot of people who bitch are using a download manager or clicking on a direct link, since it's so easy to do.

8. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 14:11 Verno

As I already mentioned, it's a problem with Akamai and crops up completely at random. At home I can download it fine(just tested over RDP), at work I cannot. No firewalls or other nonsense. They just really need to fix the Akamai servers. It's been going on like this for the better part of a year now, people bitch at them for it but they never bother fixing it.  

7. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:58 MMORPGHoD

I'm downloading it now with FF 3.0.010. I just clicked the link above and navigated to the eventual download link, no problems. I'm not using addons or a download manager. Some people using download managers and clicking on a direct link have reported problems. They may be checking the referring page to make sure you're coming from the AMD/ATI page before letting you download it.  

6. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:49 Verno

What are you talking about? I'm using Firefox and they downloaded fine.

Download unauthorized. It's a common problem, google it. I'm happy you have it working but I am using no addons with Firefox 3.0.10 and am receiving that. It's something related to their content hoster, Akamai. Ok buddy old pal?

5. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:45 Bucky

I've have the same problem, and have in the past as well. I'm willing to bet it's because of one of the addons, maybe I'll play around with 'em a bit to see if I can figure it out.  

4. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:35 theyarecomingforyou

Nice to see that they still haven't fixed the "Can't download our drivers with Firefox" issue though. Fucking AMD site.
What are you talking about? I'm using Firefox and they downloaded fine.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

3. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:15 Verno

Nice to see that they still haven't fixed the "Can't download our drivers with Firefox" issue though. Fucking AMD site.  

2. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:10 Verno

No problems with it here on a 4870. I think the last real ATI driver issue I can remember was the Mass Effect facial thing, for the most part I've found their drivers to be pretty stable. The promised performance gains from both them and Nvidia are pure bullshit though.  

1. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers May 19, 2009, 13:07 Ray Marden

Gee, maybe I can play Dark Athena without it constantly crashing on Vista 64.

Go go crap ATI drivers.
I'd buy a 4890 today if not for this garbage.
Thining ATI spells "quality" starting with a "K",
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo