Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 21, 2009, 06:50 Dades

[BR] has an abysmal adoption rate outside of PS3 sales.

DVD didn't exactly explode either, it took 3 years before it started becoming widespread. In this case most people need to upgrade television sets to take advantage of it so of course adoption will be slower.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 22:05 Z9000

I have only offered ways to get BD on the cheap, and that it's light years better than upscaled on the right equipment. I have already stated I don't care if anyone else lowers their expectations and doesn't adopt BD, it doesn't affect me. However, people on the fence should know if you have the disposable income, it's well worth it. Even if some dude claims to have vistied someone's basement and has seen something better (which apparently isn't for sale yet). I have a friend who worked for AMC, who a couple week ago, checked out the first brand spanking new high end digital theatre (first in America). It's in Kansas City I think, and not open to the public yet. From what I understand it puts everything to shame, but it's not in my living room, nor will it be for a long time. Also, Davey Jones looks amazing (not fake), buy a real HDTV (Brands with an S!).

This comment was edited on May 16, 2009, 22:07.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 14:09 Agent.X7

That's not expensive

Uh, yeah, 185 dollars for a just a refurbished player IS expensive.

News flash, some people aren't willing to spend as much on entertainment as others. You don't exactly get to make a value judgment on others if they don't meet your standards on entertainment technology. I don't have to get blu ray. DVDs entertain me the same amount as Blu Ray does. It's the same shit as when LCDs first came out. "Oh you HAVE to have them, they're superior!" No, I don't have to have them. My experience is not diminished because I don't have a flat panel. However, when the price dropped on LCDs to the point that they were cheaper than CRTs, then the discussion was rendered moot.

So call me when BR are equal or cheaper in price to DVD. I'm not drinking the kool-aid till then. I know its shocking, but some people place value in things other than higher resolutions

Exactly. IT's the reason I have a 27" Dell LCD screen and a high end video card, and that I keep souping up my PC, but I won't drop the money for a PS3 or blu-ray player. I have more interest in playing good PC games with the graphics cranked out than watching HD movies on my TV.

I spent $1600+ on an FN PS90 this year. My friend chided me because I didn't take some of that money and get a PS3 instead. Some people would rather own an expensive gun than a PS3, it's that simple. To each his own. Unfortunately, some people don't get it. "But blu-ray is so hot! You have to want it, or you're dumb!"

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 11:52 RCH

The arguments on this thread haven't really equated to more than "well, *I* have one, therefore they are worth it." And if you can't see that, well...

I'm not sure we're reading the same thread, most of the comments appear negative in ragards to BD.

I own a PS3 however, I wouldn't dare advocate the damm thing. I like it, it gets used often, it's not for everyone obviously.

I wonder how many people posting here still game at 640*480 on a 12 year old CRT, yet if you want to watch movies on anything beyond DVD, your wasting your money.

BD, no BD, whatever. The point I feel being missed, is we have the choice.

BTW, did anyone else hear the voice of the comic book store guy from the Simpson's when reading Flatline's posts? (no offence intended)

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 09:12 VoodooV

That's not expensive

Uh, yeah, 185 dollars for a just a refurbished player IS expensive.

News flash, some people aren't willing to spend as much on entertainment as others. You don't exactly get to make a value judgment on others if they don't meet your standards on entertainment technology. I don't have to get blu ray. DVDs entertain me the same amount as Blu Ray does. It's the same shit as when LCDs first came out. "Oh you HAVE to have them, they're superior!" No, I don't have to have them. My experience is not diminished because I don't have a flat panel. However, when the price dropped on LCDs to the point that they were cheaper than CRTs, then the discussion was rendered moot.

So call me when BR are equal or cheaper in price to DVD. I'm not drinking the kool-aid till then. I know its shocking, but some people place value in things other than higher resolutions

The arguments on this thread haven't really equated to more than "well, *I* have one, therefore they are worth it." And if you can't see that, well...

This comment was edited on May 16, 2009, 09:16.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 07:49 DG

[BR] has an abysmal adoption rate outside of PS3 sales.
Correct, but I think the process is the opposite of how I read your post. The PS3 gaming console only helped BR to (very marginally) beat HD-DVD. After that, the PS3 would be dead if it wasn't for Bluray.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 05:12 PHJF

Davey Jones still looks like a f*cking cartoon character in the middle of a live action movie.

Which is exactly the downside to having such high resolutions. Most movies do not hold up visually to close scrutiny, *especially* older ones.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 03:33 Flatline

Blu-ray - small install base, but already a giant order of magnitude better than laserdisc.

Which has an abysmal adoption rate outside of PS3 sales. In fact, Blue-ray would probably be dead if it wasn't for the PS3. Simple fact.

If you don't account for PS3 sales for the first like 4 or 5 years of sales and compare adoption rates for DVD and Blue-ray (and I say 4 or 5 years because that's how long it took the PS2 to come out in the format's lifespan), Blue-ray has a fraction (something like a quarter) of the adoption rate that DVD did.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 03:28 Flatline

I actually liked POTC2... But more importantly, it wasn't whether the movie was good or not, it was about the Academy Award winning computer animation on Davey Jones. It will blow you away if you watch BD on a Samsung.

No, it really won't. I saw a digital "print" of it, flawless in it's presentation, in a setup that puts your home theater, regardless of how much money you spent on it, to shame.

Davey Jones still looks like a f*cking cartoon character in the middle of a live action movie.

Mary Poppins on a 100 million dollar budget.

And having seen "movie perfection" as close as you can get in a lab environment, Blue-ray doesn't impress me.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2009, 03:28.

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 02:36 noman

>I recently started renting movies off those supermarket machines for a
>buck and I have to say that going back to HD movies on HD-DVD or
>Blu-Ray is not even a consideration at this point.

And I don't rent those movies because they are not on Blu-Ray. The difference between upscaled DVD and a BD for a movie that came out in last 5-10 years is incredibly huge. Movies on HD broadcast through local channels are also great (although the aspect ratio is adjusted for 16:9) and Frys or Amazon usually have sales on BD movies that I want (one for $10-15)

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 02:32 Z9000

The price of BDs need to drop and they will. But as a technology, it's totally worth it. Get a PS3 or pick up a refurb bdp1200 (I did). The cost is like $185. They aren't souped up but they have HQV and play BDs. For the price of one bought BD you can rent 16-20 a month. That's not expensive. If I divide the cost over 4 people living here then we pay about 40 cents a person, per movie. That beats the hell out of the price for a theatre, or even buying a reguler DVD.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 23:41 VoodooV

I'm with Creston on this one. Sure BR is nice, but currently, it's just not worth the extra cost. We're starting to get into the realm of diminishing returns when it comes to 2D video technology, IMO. You can keep increasing the resolution, and sure, it looks prettier, but so what? BR doesn't fix crappy dialogue or patch up plot holes.

Haven't we learned anything from the explosion of 3D graphics technology over the last 15 or so years? Better graphics does not equate to a better game. Likewise, better visual quality does not equate to a better movie.

I'm just not spending the money until the price comes down a LOT further.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 20:31 PHJF

movies you really don't need a BD for.

Which is like 99.5% of movies. And it's absurd to expect consumers like me to ditch our expansive DVD collections for, let's face it, an incremental update in medium.

But whatever, until the prices come down on movies, BRD just will not go mainstream. The movie industry is already antagonistic enough without expecting us to pay out our asses for shoddy transfers and absent special features on their shiny new format.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 19:55 Z9000

The way to maximize BD use is rent from Netflix. 16 a month at $26 bucks isn't far off from a buck a piece (1.67). That's 4 a week. You could get 20+ a month if you really watch and return (1.30). But if you are really that worried about shaving a few cents off a movie rental, then my advice is don't ever look at Blu-ray, it will spoil you.

I actually liked POTC2... But more importantly, it wasn't whether the movie was good or not, it was about the Academy Award winning computer animation on Davey Jones. It will blow you away if you watch BD on a Samsung.

I go crazy for Samsung Blu-ray players too. Because if you get the right one, they have HQV which imho is the best upscaler technology in existence. So you can still check out the buck a pop so-so movies you really don't need a BD for.

This isn't theory, it's what I do. You can lower your expectations if you want. Doesn't affect me.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2009, 20:02.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 18:58 shponglefan

Blu ray is definitely worth it if you have the visual hardware to support it. Heck, I've got a mere 720p projector and Blu ray discs still look leaps better than upscaled standard def DVDs.  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 17:45 PHJF

Go watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2

PotC2 is a fucking terrible movie at any resolution.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 17:18 Tumbler

I recently started renting movies off those supermarket machines for a buck and I have to say that going back to HD movies on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is not even a consideration at this point.

Why spend even $10 on a movie when you can just go to the store and rent it for an evening for $1.09. All my existing DVD's and HD-DVD's do is sit and collect dust. It's more satisfying to own a movie on some levels but I'm realizing now how useless those discs will be in a few years. Everything is going to be online. Everything will be one click away, maybe for a fee, maybe for a monthly charge, who knows.

I get far more use out of the movies on Netflix Watch instantly, I've found myself watching movies on that service that I know I have out in my living room because it's easier to just let it stream. Quality isn't as good but it rarely matters.

I think the one movie I felt really earned it's asking price on HD formats was Transformers. I recall watching that repeatedly and it looked great on HD-DVD. But most movies don't even come close to that. Most are just upscaled versions of DVD's that they overcharge for.

And the amount of TV shows that are in HD now and the amount of stuff there is too watch make it even harder to justify dropping those dollars on HD content.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2009, 17:20.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 15:49 Z9000

I was on the Blu-ray kick early on. I have 3 BD players and 2 PS3 in the house. Right now, nothing compares to BD, streamed video of any quality sucks ass compared to BD. Upscaling is no real contender either. It's a good substitute but Blu-ray spoils you. The world won't be the same if you get it, you have been warned.

If you don't have a 1080p tv and Blu-ray yet, you should put that on the next purchase when affordable list. PS3+Samasung LED is a good match. As for future technology. Pioneer will have the 16x layer Blu-ray technology that will work with all existing drives which is as much or more than the GE device mentioned. Capacity is only potential. This isn't laser disc, this is an adopted, growing, DVD type media that is here to stay.

Until TVs are over a 1080p standard, you can't really get much better (years away if not a decade due to price levels). It's happening, just not over night in America. And when it does, there is nothing limiting Blu-ray drives to 1080p. They can simply go to the next level of resolution. I can honestly say that Blu-ray visuals are something I could be satisfied with unlike upscale DVD. Go watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 on a new Samsung LED tv in a store, on a Blu-ray player. Hop to the first ship scene and the jungle scene.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 15:13 Verno

Going further than that, most broadcast HD is 720p and compressed by your local company. I think NBC is one of the few who actually broadcast in 1080i. Right now the bandwidth simply doesn't exist to accommodate 720p broadcasts for every channel on television. HD adoption is also being gouged by local companies, mine for instance offers an "HD PACK!" for an additional $30.00 a month on top of your $60 digital package. So adoption is going to be slowed which in turn also hurts Blu-Ray since education and awareness about HD are two of it's biggest weaknesses.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 15:08 Agent.X7

A BR player + 720p TV is not worth it when it can't display proper HD while at the same time broadcast TV and even DVD's look worse than my CRT. A 1080p + player is a lot of money.

A majority of broadcast HD is 720p. I have had a friends Blu-ray hooked up to my 720p/1080i TV, and it does look better, even without the benefit of the full 1080p resolution. It just doesn't look good enough to make me want to blow wads of money on a player, and I certainly don't want to buy a new TV at this point.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo