Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com - Goodbye, Good Riddance to Antiquated Action Hero Duke Nukem.
We still love our action heroes, but we love them with a touch of humanity. Instead of simply fawning over men with huge muscles, we crave the tortured superhuman archetypes of comic book films, like Hugh Jackman in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. We’re drawn to Robert Downey Jr.’s believable portrayal of a playboy in a weaponized suit of armor in Iron Man. Characters like these deliver huge explosions and cool-as-hell quips before offing the bad guys, but they also give us a glimpse of the human condition through their emotional turmoil and actual acting.

IGN - Intelligent Design.
The polar opposite is the stubborn camera, as used to underwhelming effect in Path of Neo. Here the camera would simply refuse to play nicely, looking in the opposite direction to the action or, worse still, moving in for extreme close-ups of Neo's buttocks at the most inopportune times. It was like swallowing the red pill shortly after the accidental ingestion of a mixture of Toilet Duck, horse tranquillisers and someone else's sick. For most of us, this was not ideal.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2009, 04:31 InBlack

Does it help that Wolverine happens to be one of the worst movies Ive ever seen? Hugh Jackman's acting is so pathetic that he probably sealed his career with this one.

To be fair, the story and horrendous scritpt didnt help much eather...

Ill take Duke Nukem's over the top parody any day over what passes for *gag* *gag* entertainment these days. *gag*

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2009, 01:28 Shadowcat

I gave up even skimming over Wired articles years ago. The writing always makes me gag, and the visual design almost induces actual vomiting.  

19. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 22:36 dubfanatic

Comic book movies are just the old Rambo-type movies with a thick coating of nonsense pop philosophy, and all the proles eat it up and call it deep. Whatever.

18. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 16:17 Flatline

Anyone else notice the inherent hypocracy and irony of the wired article?

"Stop talking about Duke Nukem! Here's a 2 page essay on him!"

17. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 14:58 space captain

i also embrace paradox.. and its always been somewhat surprising to me that the phenomena is not very widespread

i have come to theorize that the mass populations' background scientific knowedge might play a part in this sort of conceptual rigidity.. being as it is for the most part still based on the newtonian (and basically reductionist.. matter is hard, gravity pulls on things) type of mindset, rather than the much more nebulous ideas of quantum physics, (wave/particle duality, non-localized phenomena, etc.)

however it may take a century before such ideas become as widely mainstream as farmer joe and shaneekwa jackson

when peoples heads get filled with all kinds of ideas their minds tend to operate in a like fashion to those ideas - unless they make it a practice to silence them (which is a very tiny percentage of total pop)

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Oh Good Grief... May 14, 2009, 14:40 Prez

Point taken. I have always been a rebel though.

I like both Mac's and PC's. I like both modern rock and classic rock. I like both the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders. I am the picture of confused duality!

I still only like PC games though.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Oh Good Grief... May 14, 2009, 14:27 space captain

Me, I like both the "navel-gazing" emo heroes and the over-sexed, one-liner spewing, ass-kicking heroes. There's room for both in entertainment.

not if you identify too strongly with one or the other, because at that point your survival is threatened and you are forced to lash out to protect the life of your precious self-image

people can identify with everything, so they can take anything personally

all it amounts to is more "whiny baby misses his bottle" bullshit

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Oh Good Grief... May 14, 2009, 14:04 Prez

The previous 2 posts (EDIT: well 11 and 12 now ) illustrate the simple concept of "different strokes for different folks". It is really immature for the writer to project his personal preferences onto all of us and proclaim "we don't want Duke Nukem anymore."

Me, I like both the "navel-gazing" emo heroes and the over-sexed, one-liner spewing, ass-kicking heroes. There's room for both in entertainment.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2009, 14:06.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 14:02 Cutter

Gaming is centered on vulgar crass behavior. Killing, blowing things up, greed. Duke was the pinnacle. Are you a gamer?

Really? I don't ever recall that in any board games like Monopoly. I don't even recall that for the majority of video games. In most of them the violence is incidental. Duke was just some throwback cro-magnon character that allowed little boys to feel they were getting away with something by enjoying such a naughty game so much. Real men don't need to elevate themselves by putting other people down.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Oh Good Grief... May 14, 2009, 13:50 Dreagon

...what kind of whiny, hippie bullshit is this? I'll take Duke over most of those guys. If I want narcissistic, self pitying, navel gazing then I'll read a book. I don't play shooters to study the "human condition", I do it to blow shit up.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

11. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 12:08 Nucas

Gaming is centered on vulgar crass behavior. Killing, blowing things up, greed. Duke was the pinnacle. Are you a gamer?

i'm down with killing and blowing things up but i'll pass on the pauly shore fratboy bullshit humor.

i can pop my evil dead dvd in anytime i want a dose of duke's highly unique personality.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2009, 12:10.

10. Re: you cant deny: May 14, 2009, 12:06 Jerykk

I'll take Duke over Generic Space Marine #34750 any day.  

9. Re: you cant deny: May 14, 2009, 11:39 Agent.X7

I can't deny, Wired used to interesting, and now they grasp at straws trying to remain relevant.

I think they missed some of the humanity in the very movies they are bashing, but Wired is all about pop culture, and it's popular right now to bash older action movies, so they have at it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: you cant deny: May 14, 2009, 10:55 space captain

big trouble in little china

escape from new york

die hard

commando

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 10:44 Beamer

A bunch of us were saying this about duke years ago.

Which is why the rumors if him being 15 years older than dn3d and suffering from roids was very interesting.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 10:42 Prez

Normally, I am disgusted by media sensationalism, regardless of whether it's the main news broadcasts or enthusiast media. But in the case of DNF, every bit of negative coverage is warranted and justified.

As far as Duke being irrelevant, that's just dumb. Did action heroes like Wolverine and Iron Man make action comedies irrelevant? Duke Nukem is light-hearted ass-kicking fun that never goes out of style. You have to lighten up once in a while.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2009, 10:43.

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 10:11 nin

Ok enough with the piling on gaming media.

3DRealms screwed up. We all know that. No need to release attack after attack, especially on the Duke character itself.

George has earned every bit of it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 10:07 Dmitri_M

never really was a duke nukem fan, though. it's kind of the extreme (moronic) end of one spectrum

3. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 09:43 Grooves

Ok enough with the piling on gaming media.

3DRealms screwed up. We all know that. No need to release attack after attack, especially on the Duke character itself. Most of the whiners writing about this weren't even PC gamers when it came out.

I for one will miss it.

2. Re: Op Ed May 14, 2009, 09:15 Verno

Mindless fun can be a good thing and that's what Duke was good for.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo