Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Song of Ice and Fire Games

Cyanide Studio announces the licensing of A Song of Ice and Fire and their plans to create video games based on the fantasy series by author George R. R. Martin:

Cyanide, an independent video game studio, and George R. R. Martin today announced their partnership to create the first-ever video games inspired by the author’s award-winning, international bestselling ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’
fantasy series.

Under the terms of the agreement, Cyanide has obtained the exclusive rights to develop ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ video games for next-generation consoles and PC, and in collaboration with George R.R Martin, development has begun. "We are all huge fans of ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, so it is a true honour for our teams to be entrusted with creating the first video games inspired by this masterpiece" stated Patrick Pligersdorfer, Managing Director of Cyanide. "The twists and turns of the plot will allow us to deliver an experience which can be enjoyed by both long-time fans as well as gamers new to the series."

Published most notably by Bantam Books in North America and Voyager Books in the United Kingdom, the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ novels have been translated into more than twenty languages (including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian) and have been nominated for numerous prizes. Set in a world where nothing is simply black and white, the rich web of characters makes it an ideal background for numerous genres of video games.

‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ has already been adapted into a card game and a board game. More recently, HBO acquired the rights with the intent of turning the novels into a television series.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 14, 2009, 02:44 Bhruic

They did an animated Dragonlance movie. Jack Bauer was Raistlin. Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if was any good. (Betting not)

It was horrible. They made it a kiddie flick, completely removing all of the adult overtones of the storyline. Why they insist on screwing up books with bad movies is beyond me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 19:53 Creston

Creston, it hasn't even been 4 years. (Oct 15th, 2005)

And how long was it when the book before that came out? Another three? So it's one book in seven years?

Jordan released a book every 18-24 months (mostly.)

Creston

This comment was edited on May 13, 2009, 19:53.

42. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 18:53 space captain

They did an animated Dragonlance movie. Jack Bauer was Raistlin. Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if was any good. (Betting not)

wacky - also, i read that and automatically pictured keifer sutherland, did a doubletake and thought "oh wait thats not his name".. but then again its 420 up in this bitch Pimp

Go forth, and kill!

41. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 18:50 space captain

Man, I'd kill a lot of people for a good game based on the Wild Cards!

are you talking about those books about the superheroes called 'aces', and the 'joker' freaks? with that fortunato dude?

man that shit was fucked up - i remember reading that as a kid and saying "daaaamn!" ... that series was raw

btw there is a GURPS book for that

Go forth, and kill!

40. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 17:20 Dades

Anyway, Dance of Dargons comes out end of September

Pretty sure we've heard this every year for the past four years. Someone cites an incorrect Amazon.com release date and it goes from there. I gave up on George awhile ago, he seems content to dick around with stuff in his life and hey, more power to him. I just won't be giving him anymore money when he's not writing books I want to read, that simple. I moved onto different authors now - Glen Cook, Steven Erikson as someone else already mentioned and stuff in other genres.

39. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 16:51 Cutter

Man, I'd kill a lot of people for a good game based on the Wild Cards! And if Jordan chooses to write fast or slow that's his business. I'd rather see any author take 10 years to do it right than just shovel out mediocre crap to keep the fans happy that something is coming out. And Martin has produce a TON of other stuff, it's not like he's not writing, his world just doesn't revolve solely around one series. What's wrong with that?

Anyway, Dance of Dargons comes out end of September so everyone shut up and enjoy it already.

And I don't see how these games will do the books justice, abut I'm stoked to see that it's HBO creating this as a mini-series. It better fuckin' rock!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

38. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 13:08 Verno

I'll have to check him out.

Definitely do so, it gave me an entire year's worth of reading which was fantastic since there's been a glut of crap but nothing great in the fantasy market lately. The first book is a bit jittery, it was his attempt at a large novel and sometimes turns people off. The second book onwards though is where he picks up his stride and the gloves come off. He co-created the universe with another author and they both work on it. He used to be an archaeologist so he has very unique naming conventions for things in the series which was a nice treat. In particular I enjoy the way "magic" is handled.

Robin Hobbs is actually another one of my favorite authors but sadly I've gone through everything already a few times

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

37. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 13:03 Agent.X7

Creston, it hasn't even been 4 years. (Oct 15th, 2005)
Jordan took up to 3 years between some books, so it's not such a long wait.

(BTW, Sanderson has split the last "book" into 3 actual books, the first is due this fall.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 12:54 Agent.X7

Also, TSR. SSI produced the gold box D&D games for PC.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 12:52 Creston

@ Agent_X7,

Sure, Jordan kept churning out book after book that didn't go anywhere (he really lost it when he just started resurrecting the bad guys that had just been killed,) but at least HE WAS RELEASING BOOKS.

Martin has produced one fucking book in the last... six years? Eight? How long has it been? And how long did Feast for Crows take to come out?

Every now and then I jump by his blog, just to see what excuses he's come up with this time, and usually it's the variety of "Really busy, going to 387 different Cons this year, haven't had much chance to write. My wife is fucking awesome. I was hoping to release the book next year, but I have to rewrite 700 pages, so now it looks like it will be 2017."

Both of them would have definitely benefited from a strong editor who would have told them to get their fucking asses in gear and stop clowning about. But at least Jordan was WRITING.

Martin is doing anything but.

Of course, Martin is also publishing other books, collaborating on books with other authors, and editing collections

Terribly exciting, when he's got a legion of fans who wish he'd fucking FINISH his original work first.

Edit : Steven Erikson is indeed awesome. I love Mazalan.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 13, 2009, 12:53.

34. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 12:51 Agent.X7

Steven Erikson is the better author in my opinion. The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is going strong and is on book 8 already. Erikson has a good work ethic, he actually views writing as a job and takes it seriously instead of a little hobby that happens to make him money. Book 1(Gardens of the Moon) was his first attempt and pales in comparison to the rest of the series but it's still some of the best writing I've read in years. The characters and universe are enormous and complex, almost too much in spots. I hit up a few forums and his name kept popping up as the best way to relieve yourself of the Martin blues. I actually like him more than Martin now. Give it a whirl sometime.

I'll have to check him out.

I've been reading Robin Hobb's Assasin series, and found it to be quite good. Also, Brandon Sanderson has a good trilogy, as well as a one off book. (And he's the guy finishing WoT for Jordan)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 12:47 Creston

Have any of you guys ever read Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles?

Great original series. Even better second series. Then it turned to crap by SSI's blatantly overproducing popular worlds and releasing 700,000 books.

For awhile I actually bought all of them, until I realized I was forking over a hundred bucks a year for 99% trash.

One notable exception, Richard A Knaak's contributions, with Kaz the Minotaur and eh... was it the Legend of Huma? Those were awesome.

Anyways, that series is way too old. Only people in their 30s even know what that is, right?

Creston

32. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 12:36 Wikidd

If you look at the stories objectively forgetting about who came first and which had a billion dollar movie, I'd call any man a liar that named LotR the stronger of the two.
LotR clearly has an objectively stronger story because it's a recounting of history in a pre-existing fantasy world. Tolkien created Middle Earth then wrote LotR as shown by The Silmarillion, which was published by his son posthumously.

I'm not aware that Martin developed his fantasy world then started writing books about it after the fact. Indeed, the Wikipedia page states that started with a single scene from the first book and went from there.

Tolkien wasn't trying to write a modern novel, he was trying to create a work of medieval fantasy in the style of medieval literature. He was a professor in that field, after all.

As to which is a better story, that's an open question that can't be answered objectively. It's a matter of taste.

31. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 11:29 Kxmode

Thanks for not bashing my skull in with my comment. It was merely an observation about Martin's use of his name in relation to Tolkien's name. Anyhow, I've added A Clash of Kings to my list of books to read.  

30. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 10:28 Verno

Martin's also attending cons, stumping his shitty merchandise and generally doing anything but writing the books that people cared about and made him popular. Jordan had his faults for sure, there were entire books that felt like seemingly nothing happened and he would focus on minute descriptions in detail to the point of tedium. In the end though, he wrote quite a bit of material.

Steven Erikson is the better author in my opinion. The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is going strong and is on book 8 already. Erikson has a good work ethic, he actually views writing as a job and takes it seriously instead of a little hobby that happens to make him money. Book 1(Gardens of the Moon) was his first attempt and pales in comparison to the rest of the series but it's still some of the best writing I've read in years. The characters and universe are enormous and complex, almost too much in spots. I hit up a few forums and his name kept popping up as the best way to relieve yourself of the Martin blues. I actually like him more than Martin now. Give it a whirl sometime.

29. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 10:17 Agent.X7

Awesome. It should take 34 years to develop and continuously get more games added into the series.

George R R Martin makes Robert Jordan look like a guy who really knew what he was doing.

Pshh, not even close. Jordan wrote a one-off book, it was super popular, so he turned it into a trilogy, which then turned into a ridiculously long series during which even some hard-core fans admitted it seemed like RJ lost the story somewhere in the minutia.
Jordan himself claimed that not all storylines would be resolved, probably because he created so many characters and stories for them that he lost track.

Don't get me wrong, I loved The Wheel of Time series, but it lost some of its charm when he just kept churning out books and not resolving anything.

Martin's books have a much stronger direction, although he has also slipped some extra books in there now. Of course, Martin is also publishing other books, collaborating on books with other authors, and editing collections, wheras Jordan just took his damn time stretching the story.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 10:16 Verno

Personally I think the Darksword Trilogy by Weiss & Hickman would translate better into film.

27. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 10:08 Agent.X7

I actually just re-read it last year for the first time since high school (15 years) The writing is a little sophmorish, but the story is still pretty cool.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2009, 10:08.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 09:56 VultureMAN

Sandkings as an 3d RTS would have been a better choice. Or even a Wild Cards world option for Champions

But Martin's fantasy incomplete epic is not the place go adventure and write your little fanboi fictions.

/and yes I do read Martin's latest works, they are at the bottom of my slush pile though. No rush there, but I read Sandkings when it came out in OMNI and reread many times since.

25. Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Games May 13, 2009, 09:56 Bill Borre

Have any of you guys ever read Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles? I always thought that would have made a better movie than LotR if they threw the same amount of money at it for the same reasons you're mentioning. The writing style is contemporary and the character interactions are more sophisticated. I mean, you've got an undead love triangle! How cool is that?  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo