Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More DNF Media?

More purported Duke Nukem Forever screenshots can be found on eXp. Some of the included shots outline of how the first-person shooter was to progress level-by-level, outlining key elements like new weapons and skills acquired, and outlining the game's plot.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 12:17 Luthier

What I'm more interested in is some insight into the development environment. I mean, it's pretty obvious where things went wrong, but I'm really hoping some disgruntled ex-employee will anonymously post some stories or something.

I'd love to learn more details on Broussard's management style, hopefully with juicy anecdotes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 10:01 Bill Borre

The community should have a contest as to which team can bang out those 18 maps based on the plot descriptions in the smallest fraction of the time that 3DR spent.  

27. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 09:47 nin

(and if it's Broussard that comes out with it, he can go fuck himself).

He can fuck Hellbinder, also.

Hellbinder! Squeal like a pig! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 08:28  dsmart 

I hate to add any fuel to a fire, but these docs look like they're released on purpose...almost like a public auction.

wot? I don't think so. I'm sure that they allowed the now laid off guys to use their work in their portfolio to find jobs.

On the other hand, since spreadsheets of game plots and such are internal use only, this could be some disgruntled person releasing them anonymously. The 3DR company is no more, so they - as an entity - can't sue even if they found who was doing it.

It should be noted that Take 2 offered 3DR $30m for the Duke license. They rejected it - and opted to close the company. Devil's advocate here, but my guess is that once the company is closed and shutdown, GeorgeB could very well turn around and go do a deal with TT. And get to pocket the money. With no company to run, its all gravy. Of course both he and Scott Miller get to share those proceeds. tbh, if I was making a game for nigh on thirteen years and had no confidence that it would be anything special, I'd do the same thing.

Think about this. $5m in this day and age, is nuthin'. Heck, they could have gone to EA Parners and got $5m just for showing up since EA would have recouped that money on day one. But I have to think that a) 3DR probably didn't want to continue with the game b) $5m wasn't going to cut it.

Then of course, DNF is a toxic asset in the industry. So whoever was going to sign it - and not attach a ball and chain to 3DR - would have some serious explaining to do once their shareholders get wind of it.

It is highly unlikely that DNF will ever see the light of day. If there is another Duke project, it will most likely be in the form of another - completely unrelated - Duke game.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

25. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 07:23 Wesp5

"I'd laugh my ass off if the community got a hold of that game."

I would bet the community could fix that unfinished game up :)!

24. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 04:26 Nucas

hellbinder scores another win.  

23. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 04:21 InBlack

Hellbinder, go back to church man and wallow in your superiour ways! We are all doomed here anyway.  

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 04:10 Beelzebud

What the fuck are you talking about?  

21. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 02:57 Niezly Czad

So I guess at this rate we'll be able to play the pre alpha in about two months.

offtopic:
"I never said 'filth, flarn, filth'.
"I don't know what you're talking about.
I'm offended you called. Fuck you." (C) Eddie Murphy @ RAW

20. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 01:31 damn skippy

Jesus fucking christ, if you're that fucking pissed about it take a few fucking minutes and write a fucking greasemonkey script to take out every fucking instance of the fucking word "fucking" off this and every other fucking site and stop whining about it on these here fucking forums. Shit, just fucking download one, I don't fucking care.

No real offense meant here (I think), but you're not going to change anyone's posting habits, so instead of whining about it do something about it and get back on topic (if "colorful" language bothers you that much, I'm not joking here, download and install a script, it'll save everyone lots of hassle and everyone's happy).

On topic: yeah, it's been great to see some of these shots and videos come out the last few days. It looks like it could have been better than it had any right to be. It's almost unfathomable to imagine the complete dumb-fuckery that had been going on for 12+ years in those offices, but I have a feeling that, sooner or later, someone will spill the beans on what happened (and if it's Broussard that comes out with it, he can go fuck himself).

19. Re: More DNF Media? May 12, 2009, 00:43 Gandhi

Learn to speak and write a thoughtn down without spewing filth.

"thought"

Chill out. Hitting Starbucks a little too hard?

This comment was edited on May 12, 2009, 00:44.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

18. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 23:46 Hellbinder

ENOUGH With the F-Bombs! what is wrong with you people. Learn to speak and write a thoughtn down without spewing filth. Sheesh. How can you all be so blind to how degenerate you are.

The Whales name is Bob.

17. The question everyone should be asking.. May 11, 2009, 23:13 That Guy

...Where is George B?

I mean really. What does he have to say on the subject. His silence says more about his own character (or lack thereof) and the doomed nature of the game than anything else could. He just doesn't have the guts to admit to the fans (or himself) that this entire crate of fail can be laid at his feet.

16. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 23:05 jm0ris0n

PS: Did you all see the level documents on duke4.net? I think some of them are a tad outdated...the ones with actual meta-data in them were created in 2007 (makes sense) and the level progress high-level tracking spreadsheeet show it was last printed on "Tuesday, July 29, 2008 15:50:26". NOt really surprised...I hate to add any fuel to a fire, but these docs look like they're released on purpose...almost like a public auction.

"Look what we have, here are some documentation samples, this is a shareware sample, if you buy the source code / game you get all this + more ..."

Why else would a lead developer leak all that documentation? I'm sure all these docs are property of 3DRealms, not the designers who are leaking them....just a few of my cents ...

15. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 22:36 jm0ris0n

Just like the HL2 Alpha Source that came out in 2003...:o

Hell, I'd gladly pay $20 for even a POS unplayable version of this thing. All I want to do is shoot an alien, watch him explode, and slap a stipper's ass. Thats easily worth $20 right there!

14. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 22:13 SirKnight

*cough* torrent *cough*

13. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 21:53 Tanto Edge

I'd laugh my ass off if the community got a hold of that game.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

12. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 21:45 Sencho

Guy should be banned from ever making a game again.

Well, based on 3DRealms dev-cycle you're been living the dream already.

11. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 21:35 Silicon Avatar

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Atari, 1982) > DNF because ET is an actual playable game.

No bleach will scrub that resume stain.

10. Re: More DNF Media? May 11, 2009, 20:35 [THA] Hamst3r

I'm still betting on Duke! Smitten  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo