Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Last year MrsBlue bought a pair of deck brushes, saying we could use these to clean our deck with OxyClean instead of hiring someone to power-wash it. This weekend I learned what should have been obvious, which is that by "we" she meant I would be doing the work, apparently her brush would be for beating me if I slacked off. So I'm out there following the instructions from the OxyClean container -- mopping the deck with some Oxy-water, letting it sit, scrubbing it with that deck brush, and hosing it all off -- when it occured to me what was happening: In the year 2009 I was actually swabbing the deck! I would have complained, but I was afraid I'd end up in the brig... or maybe even walking the plank.

Swabby Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Links: Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'. Thanks Kxmode.
Fanciful Fads of the Fifties. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: What would Spock do?
Dude gets $100 Mil…If he gets married. Thanks Digg.
Star Trek’s $112M Global Opening Weekend. Thanks Mark.
Science: New Pattern Found in Prime Numbers. Thanks Slashdot.
'Cone of silence' keeps conversations secret. What? Thanks Slashdot.
Media: 300 - by Bioware. NSFW.
'Star Trek' cast tackles hardcore fans on SNL.
The Funnies: UserFriendly.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 21:57 xXBatmanXx

300 - by Bioware. NSFW.

Multi platform on the same day. sad.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 16:48 Jim

4. over use of the lens flare effect, but this points back to #1

That was my biggest gripe about the film. WAY too distracting.

Jim

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 11:29 space captain

It makes a lot of sense if you know even a little bit about quantum physics.

its not about making sense, if you know even a little bit about quantum physics you would know that everything that has ever happened or ever will happen is happening now, endlessly

that doesnt mean that new ST movie is any good - and it doesnt mean the storyline is automatically "scientific" or even "good"

frankly the vast majority of people 99% dont have the brain power to do a concept like that any sort of justice at all - rather it turns into a rationalization of "well, we can write anything we want, because there are infinite alternate realities so nothing matters anyway"

Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 07:42 peteham

Ugh, is the plot centered on timetravel or is it just that it creates an alternate timeline within the ST universe? (been trying to avoid too many spoilers)
Think I'll catch the DVD on this one...

This comment was edited on May 12, 2009, 09:17.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 04:49 InBlack

kxmode is right, altering the timeline doesnt affect the future, because the future already happened in a parallel universe where the timeline isnt affected. It makes a lot of sense if you know even a little bit about quantum physics.

I really liked Kirk, I think Pine got him just about right.

But still the movie's storyline and background info was weak.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 22:17 Kxmode

Last comment.

I think I'm starting to understand the movie. It's a parallel universe between Roddenbery's trekverse and Abram's trekverse. Both are running concurrently and will unfold in their own way, but they won't have an impact on each other's timeline. I think this is brilliant.

So now go see the film with that mindset.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 21:35 Kxmode

I would've been happy to see the normal time line transpire. I would've been happy to see more Star Fleet training. The "three years later" felt weak.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 21:12 Kxmode

Bones - Perfect. Karl Urban nailed it!

Agreed! I was laughing when he replies to Kirk, channeling Deforest Kelly,
Don’t pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull and our blood boils in 13 seconds. A solar flare might crop up and cook us in our seats. And wait till you’re sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you’re still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger, wrapped up in darkness and silence.
There's also the scenes where Kirk is running around and constantly being injected by Bones. Rotfl

Checkov was funny. When he communicated with the crew his accent reminded me of the scene from STIV where he asks for the cop about the "nuclear wessels".

I think the time travel thing really made me upset. It didn't hit me initially until I got back to the car. The time line is irrevocably altered. All my time spent watching TOS, films, TNG, and DS9 (not so much Voyager) is gone because the time line doesn't exists, or if it does it won't be the same. Who knows?! The Borg may destroy earth. The Klingons may still be at war with the Federation. Picard decides to be a farmer because StarFleet is at war. The moment Vulcan was destroyed future Spock should've died (in ST3, Spock is resurrected on Vulcan. SURPRISE, Vulcan is now gone!). I have so many questions about this new time line.

Oh and let's not forget about the MMO coming out. Cryptic is going to need to alter the game to match the new time line. This will be difficult given the game takes place 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, while in the film both Vulcan, in the past, and Romulus, in the future, are destroyed. So basically both Vulcan and Romulus are destroyed... which means the Vulcan race is basically gone Confused

I know I'm really nerdy but you know how it is when you've loved something for so long and then it drastically changes on you. I guess we're now in undiscovered country. Undecided

This comment was edited on May 11, 2009, 21:46.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 20:50 Kxmode

Forget the oxy-clean.

THAT MADE BILLY MAYS CRY

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 19:03 space captain

The whole time travel/alternate reality angle sucked. That's such weak writing, and just the sort of crap I expect from Abrams

indeed it is, the biggest cop-out of any sci-fi writing .. youd think Abrams has got more than enough of that shit from "Lost" - to find him falling back on that plot device here is, frankly, disgusting

not worth the $ to see this in theatres for that kind of BULLshit

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 18:37 Cutter

Just got back from ST and it was OK. Not good, not bad, OK. JJ Abrams was the wrong guy for this in the first place. Then again, I've never cared for any of his stuff.

Cast?
Kirk - totally wrong.
Spock - ok.
Bones - Perfect. Karl Urban nailed it!
Scotty - wrong. I like Simon Pegg, but he wasn't right for the part.
Checkov - good.
Sulu - ok.
Uhuru - good.

The whole time travel/alternate reality angle sucked. That's such weak writing, and just the sort of crap I expect from Abrams and his buddies - look at their writing credits and you'll see what I mean. They're great at writing fluff - but who isn't, really? - but it's obvious they have no idea what Star Trek is really all about. They treat it as a vehicle for an action film that will net them sequels, spinoffs and merchandise, and not the morality tales Rodenberry intended them as originally. In this respect the film not only misses the mark, it misses the entire point of Star Trek's raison d'etre.

I'd give it a 5/10. You can easily skip the theater and wait for the DVD for this one. It's just too bad they didn't turn this project over to more capabale people.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 16:40 DangerDog

I've lost count of how many beautiful decks I've seen that were turned into shredded wheat because the operator used full power while holding the nozzle an inch from the wood.

heh, zero tip, point blank range, FIRE!

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 16:35 DangerDog

Count me as a hardcore fan who has no interest in the movie at all.

I see a lot of people picking up on obscure references to the TV shows, including that last one "Enterprise" which I didn't even watch one episode of.

Maybe it’s a generational thing then, I didn’t get that jazzed about the new Battlestar Galactica either, making the cylons 100% CG and then having them appear human seemed like a cheesy cop-out.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 16:31 Hump

No places to rent a power-washer?

power washers aren't always the best method. Most people (and this includes supposedly "experienced" contractors) don't know how to use one for the job at hand. I've lost count of how many beautiful decks I've seen that were turned into shredded wheat because the operator used full power while holding the nozzle an inch from the wood. The only time you really need it is if theres a layer of algae or the mildew has gotten out of hand. Nine times out of ten diluted bleach (maybe some mildewcide) and a garden hose is all you need.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21. play em off, keyboard cat May 11, 2009, 16:29 space captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndx_IdlUQU  
Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 16:17 eXFeLoN

it's all about the booty blue. it's all about the booty.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 15:40 nin

i misread the whole out of the blue story, reading "deck" as "dick", and got very confused.

Following that line of thinking, it gets even funnier when you get to the part about "beating me if I slacked off".

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 15:30 rocketpcguy

i misread the whole out of the blue story, reading "deck" as "dick", and got very confused.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 15:15 Ecthelion

I'm still puzzled why people are falling over themselves raving about the film, I know it's been seven years since the last motion picture go around and sci-fi movies have been shoved to the side to make way for all the superhero flicks but it just didn't do much for me, I guess you need to be a hardcore Star Trek fan.
Actually, the movie is trying to appeal to non-fans. Most of the rave reviews that I've seen have been from casual fans or non-fans.

Count me as a hardcore fan who has no interest in the movie at all. I'm not paying money to see it in theaters... the trailers did nothing to convince me that the movie was actually Star Trek instead of wannabe Star Wars (I love Star Wars too, but the franchises are very different and rightly so). So far I don't think I like the new direction the franchise is headed in. The movie could always blow me away, but I'm not taking the chance that it won't. I'll check it out on DVD.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2009, 15:08 DangerDog

1. Crappy sets, some looked like they were filmed in a beer factory.
2. Film score was not memorable at all. I really miss Jerry Goldsmith.
3. The sound effects were weak. pew pew pew goes the phasers.

couldn't agree more with #2, we get it already - they set out to break away from all the previous Star Trek movies but the guy in charge of the sound track didn't come close to Jerry Goldsmith, they should have gotten James Horner (mastermind behind Wrath of Khan sound track) to score the film.

4. over use of the lens flare effect, but this points back to #1

I'm still puzzled why people are falling over themselves raving about the film, I know it's been seven years since the last motion picture go around and sci-fi movies have been shoved to the side to make way for all the superhero flicks but it just didn't do much for me, I guess you need to be a hardcore Star Trek fan.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo