Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Goodbye from 3D Realms

The 3D Realms Website has a Goodbye image from the developer saying so long to their fans since the studio is closing. The photo depicts the 3D Realms staff, including Kaiser the dog, and is captioned: "Thanks for being fans and for all your support." Thanks Shacknews.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. The leaked footage... May 10, 2009, 11:55 Dreagon

...looks pretty good, but I don't see what would have taken 12 years. I would have certainly bought it, though.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 09:50 Enahs

This is only because as someone else said, its not uncommon to find few minorities in the biz, given the fact that, well, they are a minority.

No. I said it, not someone else! In the same post you quoted!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

86. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 09:36  dsmart 

@ Enahs

Derek is here. Are you the only black developer at your company?

Yes, in fact I am. But I'm not pure Black though; I'm of mixed heritage.

There are very few Black devs in the industry. In fact, there are more Black folks in art/modeling than there are in programming or producer roles.

This is only because as someone else said, its not uncommon to find few minorities in the biz, given the fact that, well, they are a minority.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

85. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 07:31 Hoop

Spindoctor....thanks for the link. The footage was interesting.  

Um .. Behind you...

84. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 07:12 Kajetan

The video actually looks pretty decent. I'd probably have picked that up if it was ever released.
I would have picked up EVERY DNF game, from the very beginning with the Quake 2 engine. But also, i would love to see eternal world peace and me getting some decent superpowers ...

83. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 06:19 theyarecomingforyou

The video actually looks pretty decent. I'd probably have picked that up if it was ever released.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

82. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 04:55 Ledge

well surely one of these dudes (pictured) is gonna spill his guts as to what went down (no pun intended) these past years. maybe they are sworn to secrecy or somethin. now if only dogs could talk.

81. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 04:44 Jerykk

Wow, that leaked gameplay footage looked pretty good. It had a lot of potential. Of course, knowing 3D Realms, they would have developed the game up until beta stage and then scrapped it again to start over from scratch. Shame.  

80. Re: John Romero May 10, 2009, 04:32 Nucas

I actually felt sorry for Romero after Diakatana was released.. ..but he still got it done - to his credit...

i honestly still had some respect for romero after daikatana. he obviously wasn't ready to run a company on any scale but he seemed like he genuinely loved games and gaming. i revised my assessment when i read this fucking diarrhea he spouted a few years ago wherein he declares that modders were "screwing up the industry they're supposed to be helping".

it just drips with contempt for the apparent talentless amateurs who comprise the modding community. he's been taking potshots from the sidelines of an industry he left as a fucking failure for years. he has no business shitting on any game's modding community considering how many teams and projects have clearly outdone his own accomplishments.

The game was gonna suck anyway - we all knew it would and we were all waiting to slag it off. I'm not meaning to be rude to the developers but I can't think of anything I've waiting for 10+ years which was actually worth it.

i don't really feel that way, myself. granted it's been 8 years but the trailer they released at e3 in 2001 still looks like a game i'd want to play. i don't see any reason to be glad the project is dead since it could have been fun but it doesn't break my heart. i'm sure someone else can develop a ridiculous shooter with dialog from evil dead.

but no matter how good it could have been people would just ask themsevles "it took them 12 YEARS to make THIS?"

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 06:37.

79. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 04:05 Dmitri_M

it wasn't before the whole internet started downloading it. here's a youtube link

Uhm, that actually looks like a fun game.

78. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:42 Ledge

" They are allowed to run their business as shitty and stupid as they want the government has no authority over that."

... well they did a fken good job of it.

@ #15 my sentiments exactly.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 03:44.

77. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:36 spindoctor

Sticknine, that video url is passworded.... so yea gj posting it

it wasn't before the whole internet started downloading it. here's a youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n55mUifD8SA (lots of youtube links for the footage are going down as well. is this a stolen file?). if that doesn't work, download link - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YLHALVVM

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

76. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:34 Reactor

It has only just been passworded... obviously because a million people just hit the poor guy's site  

75. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:19 KilrathiAce

Sticknine, that video url is passworded.... so yea gj posting it  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

74. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:18 KilrathiAce

I have to say they managed to survive long time by hyping vaporware and using it as PR for other things....impressive.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

73. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:12 Steele Johnson

Good luck with the job hunting. Who would hire the decision makers of this company? They'll probably need an alternate career to pay the bills.  

72. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 03:01 Dades

The Sims is fine for what it is. Spore was my only disappointment because they showed it off frequently as one thing and gave us something totally different instead.  

71. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 02:58 Jerykk

Technically, Wright disappointed twice: Sims and Spore.  

70. Re: Goodbye from 3D Realms May 10, 2009, 02:54 Dades

Will Wright disappointed once and everyone hates the poor guy. I remember Wright's many awesome games and don't disparage him for letting me down once. Some of you are just too cynical and unforgiving.  

69. Re: John Romero May 10, 2009, 02:39 Jerykk

Most hated game dev? Come on, It's gotta be Will Wright.

I think CliffyB tops him. Devs like Wright and Molyneaux promise big things but fail to deliver. CliffyB is just a wanker.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo