Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated

Tramell Isaac's Blog now offers what the artist purports to be previously unreleased screenshots of Duke Nukem Forever, saying he worked on the first-person shooter sequel for two years and nine months before it was revealed that 3D Realms is apparently closing. There's little reason to doubt the veracity of Isaac's claim, as he is a long-time industry veteran whose credits include the first two Fallout games. The shots certainly look legitimate as well, showing off environments and a character, all with a high degree of polish. Thanks I.C.E. Update: There's some alleged DNF concept art featuring monsters and bewbies on Layne's Concept Art. Thanks Morris.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 10, 2009, 02:48 Jerykk

Duke was a great protagonist because he embodied your typical american action hero that many people could identify with.

Dictionary.com:

charisma

noun
a personal attractiveness or interestingness that enables you to influence others

If you have a personality or attitude that attracts people, you're charismatic. Duke's personality was a large part of the game's appeal and he was definitely more interesting than any shooter protagonist before him. I'd say that qualifies as charisma.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 10, 2009, 01:46 Dades

It also pioneered the idea of a charismatic protagonist

While I loved Duke3d, I don't think you understand the definition of the word charismatic. Duke was a great protagonist because he embodied your typical american action hero that many people could identify with.

50. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 12:40 everyone

Doesn't appear to be much direction involved in those screenshots or concepts. They appear to be from some generic FPS, nothing that screams Duke Nukem 3D sequel. Seems to confirm much of cries over DNF being a scam, or completely mismanaged.

Exactly. I kept thinking "Prey" looking at those. Maybe they just showed left over assets from that game since they had nothing to show for what they had been doing for the past 13 years on dn3d.

49. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 10:40 Dmitri_M

Doesn't appear to be much direction involved in those screenshots or concepts. They appear to be from some generic FPS, nothing that screams Duke Nukem 3D sequel. Seems to confirm much of cries over DNF being a scam, or completely mismanaged.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2009, 10:41.

48. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 05:35 KilrathiAce

DNF is vaporware used for creating hype for various things for past 10 years.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

47. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 04:06 Jerykk

As for Duke, who gives a shit!

I care. Duke Nukem 3D was also a revolutionary title. It set the bar for interactivity and created environments that really immersed the player in the game world. It also pioneered the idea of a charismatic protagonist, a far cry from the silent, generic heroes of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake and most other shooters. In fact, I can't really think of shooters that surpass Duke 3D in either of these respects. The NOLF series came close but the environments weren't quite as interactive. Duke Nukem Forever had the potential to be a great game but 3D Realms screwed up.

46. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 03:47 Jackplug

Quake to Crysis, all i will say on this matter is Quake is the father of Multiplayer full polygon games and even now is very playable.

Would you say that about Crysis, i doubt it cos not everyone can play it properly or at all and be smooth gamplay and be so much fun?

As for Duke, who gives a shit!

This comment was edited on May 9, 2009, 03:49.

45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 02:58 Ruffiana

I played the shit out of Quake and thought it was a landmark game for much of the same reasons you outlined.  

44. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 9, 2009, 02:52 Ruffiana

Why so angry?  

43. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 02:37 Jerykk

We all know how awesomely true that turned out several years later (after Wolf3d and Doom) when Quake finally showed up as an unfinished, unpolished techdemo (just like Crysis).

Uh, you do realize that Quake was pretty revolutionary? It basically created online and competitive gaming. It was also the first fully polygonal shooter (maybe even game?). AND it made huge steps for the modding community. The single-player may have been boring but to compare Quake to Crysis is ludicrous.

42. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 01:08 Creston

In all honesty many of you are nothing but foul mouthed little twits whos parents apparently taught nothing and need a really big bar od soap to wash your mouths and brains.

Do they not teach proper english on top that pretty ivory tower of yours?

Here's a hint : When you're trying to be all high and mighty, and morally superior, it helps if you don't sound like a fucking five year old. Twatbasket.

Creston

41. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 9, 2009, 00:43 Prez

Let it go Johnny. You picked this fight unnecessarily with your incendiary flame-baiting; My advice, for what it's worth, is be a man and just put a stop to it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 9, 2009, 00:09 Johnny R

First you agree with me, then you try to attack me. Wow. Someone's conflicted.

No, someone's confused. And that would be you, cunt. Just because I think 3Drealms is a joke doesn't mean I agree with you calling them "douche-lips" and "gay" and telling them to kill themselves and generally acting like a ten-year old. Funny how you call Broussard out for acting like a "BADASS" when that's exactly what you're doing. You think calling other people gay is going to fool anyone into thinking that you're not gay, that you're some kind of tough guy or something? You're not some kind of tough guy, you're just as much of a fake badass as Broussard is, only you're a hypocrite on top of that.

edit - in fact, you even misconstrued my original comment. I wasn't even saying 3DRealms was a joke. The company turned into one, but only because of one or two guys who had more vision than realism.

Fuck you. Show me where it says that in your original post, tough guy. Oh, that's right--it doesn't.

Don't twist my words and say I'm the one talking shit, you prick.

A. I'm not twisting your words. They are right there, for everyone to see, unless you go back and edit them, and B: Yes, you are talking shit.

So that makes you a liar as well.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2009, 00:15.

39. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 8, 2009, 23:56 Jerykk

Maybe they thought the Duke Nukem name didn't carry that much weight anymore and perhaps, once it became a laughing stock, they wanted to prove it wasn't.

3D Realms, as a means to fund DNF, really devalued the Duke Nukem name. They farmed out spinoff after spinoff to crappy third-party developers, resulting in such wondrous games as Planet of the Babes and Zero Hour. The Duke Nukem Trilogy is no different. The fall of 3DR was due to the incompetence of management. You don't make a game, polish it to beta stage and then scrap the whole thing. Twice.

38. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 8, 2009, 22:35 Bet

He worked on Fallout 1 and 2 so I doubt he will have resume problems.

Agreed, as far as industry vets are concerned, T-Ray (as I'll always think of him after his named character's goons stole my damn car in Fallout 2) is one of the few game artists I actually know the name of. His credibility is proven in game after game, he doesn't need to impress anyone with these shots.

My read on him posting these shots is this: not that they're to impress us, instead he's sharing what's now 'trivia' with the people that are bummed after all the recent news that the game is definitely never coming out. I thank him for that, since developers sharing information with us 'off the books' is rare enough. At least we got to see what single frames of the the game might have looked like, even if there's no context.

Nothing like reading the Fallout 3 Van Buren design documents, but still. I'm hoping he gets hit by nostalgia and boredom enough one day to compile a list of Interplay developer insider trivia. And submit it to the Mobygames database.

37. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 8, 2009, 19:44 Kosumo

??? Did not you just post in another that you have been on uneployment for coming on 12 months? I HATE THE ONLINE TERM EPIC!!! ( the word "epic" is more a marketing term than anything else since 1962!! ((take form random at my mind)) I still stand by that!)  

36. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 8, 2009, 19:32 Wildone

Balls to do what..bullshit the industry for 13 years?!;)) If they had actually tried, shipped the game and failed thats one thing..but to fail in such an epic way is stunning I think!  

35. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 8, 2009, 19:08 Jim

My goodness, was DN3D really 1996? I'm beginning to feel my age now.

I think that perhaps 3DR got a bad deal out of the whole affair. Maybe they thought the Duke Nukem name didn't carry that much weight anymore and perhaps, once it became a laughing stock, they wanted to prove it wasn't. Maybe they got distracted by the nice new shiny engines Id and Epic were putting out and wanted the game to shine as much as possible. Who can blame them in the current world of bland copy and paste shooters?

Hats of to them for self funding a game for 13 years and for having the balls to do so.

Although it became a bit of a laughing stock, I'm a little bit disappointed that I'm never going to be able to lay my hands on a copy of DNF...

34. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 8, 2009, 18:58 the_culture

In all honesty many of you are nothing but foul mouthed little twits whos parents apparently taught nothing and need a really big bar od soap to wash your mouths and brains.

Sad what you all are becoming.. really.

This coming from someone who supports Derek Smart: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=83454&id=415250&view=threads

I question your sanity.... Mr_t

33. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 8, 2009, 18:49 Kosumo

Time for a Starbucks Dude.

Yes, it's sad, really, one day we may become just like you.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo