Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Global Gameplay Stats

Steam News announces a new global gameplay stats view in Valve's online service:

Global gameplay stats are now available for games that have Steam Achievements, showing what percentage of players have unlocked each achievement within a game. Now you can rest assured that you are not alone: 93.8% of players are also struggling to achieve 'Untouchables' in Left 4 Dead.

Sign in to the Steam Community to compare your achievements against how the rest of the world is doing.

Check out the full list of games that have Steam Achievements here.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 9, 2009, 17:23 xXBatmanXx

High Scores and Achievement Points are very different.

That they are - but you could consider DAMAGE dealt (one of the stats) as a high score.

Or time lasted in Survivor - etc.

I think survivor made the game great.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 9, 2009, 07:57 [THA] Hamst3r

Funny, I thought nearly all "old-school" games had arbitrary "high score" systems in them.

High Scores were an arcade game thing and were essential to the gameplay. There was no other reason to play. You played to get the high score...and to get a high score you simply had to play the game better than everyone else.

Your score didn't increase because you paused the game, watched the credits, died too many times, killed your teammates or failed horribly. You also had to achieve all your points in one go, which proved you were the best.

Getting a High Score was an actual achievement.

High Scores and Achievement Points are very different.
----

Also, Trials 2 is AWESOME. Trials 2, Gravitron 2 and rRootage are the most difficult games I have. They're absolutely brutal but I can't stop playing. :O

This comment was edited on May 9, 2009, 08:02.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

20. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 9, 2009, 06:00 PHJF

Call me old-school but I believe that the only thing that should motivate someone to keep playing a game is the gameplay itself.

Funny, I thought nearly all "old-school" games had arbitrary "high score" systems in them.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 9, 2009, 03:23 Jerykk

Achievements can, quite cheaply, offer several benefits to the game, but they have to be well thought out because they can become perverse incentive, reducing others enjoyment of a game.

Achievements are an easy way to get people to keep playing your game. It lets developers get lazy. Instead of trying to create a deep and compelling experience that can be enjoyed for years, they just make a bunch of random achievements. I've never liked achievements. I don't need affirmation of my skills. I don't need a worthless little icon as incentive for going the extra mile or thinking outside the box. Really, the sole purpose of an achievement is to stroke a player's ego. Call me old-school but I believe that the only thing that should motivate someone to keep playing a game is the gameplay itself.

18. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats May 9, 2009, 01:23 theyarecomingforyou

Trials 2 is evil. I can't beat 1 level on Hard difficulty.
It took me bloody ages to complete the tutorial - I actually found it more difficult than many of the earlier levels. It had potential but it just ended up being infuriating.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats May 8, 2009, 16:54 mag

Block the Plate and Pyromancer from TF2 are my most rare ones. I've never done any achievement farming, either... Pyromancer took me a while.  

16. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 16:11 Agent.X7

Untouchables is easy. When you're on the Jesus rock. Nobody taking any any damage in the finale when playing the game "normally" is something else.

Nope, just running around like madmen shooting things. Nobody in our group knew what it was when we got it, nobody knew none of us took damage.

Cheating just ruins the fun. No point in playing the game if you are going to cheat.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 13:46 Caveman

Trials 2 is evil. I can't beat 1 level on Hard difficulty.  

14. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 13:22 DG

Untouchables is easy. When you're on the Jesus rock. Nobody taking any any damage in the finale when playing the game "normally" is something else.

Achievements can provide a little acknowledgement for doing something well. Though, that gets defeated when there's some exploit or cheap method, because then people take it from the opposite angle and think someone must be noob for not knowing about it.

Achievements can string a little more enjoyment from a game. A challenge to be taken on once you have defeated the main game, or perhaps it can encourage a little training in a certain area while someone is still getting to know a game. For example, playing pistol only is a good way to reintroduce an element of challenge, and also leads people to appreciate that the pistol is a useful weapon. On the other hand, this can be a nuisance as well, such as if you have a team where 2 players are going for that achievement and so you only have the remaining half of the team with proper firepower.

Achievements can, quite cheaply, offer several benefits to the game, but they have to be well thought out because they can become perverse incentive, reducing others enjoyment of a game.

I particularly dislike persistent unlocking of superior weaponry, all that does is artificially exaggerate the gap between experienced and new players.

13. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 12:16 Prez

Luckily Trials 2 was a digital download for me. Had I gotten a CD, I would have certainly smashed it in frustration. I gave up on it, and it will NEVER get re-installed. Getting so mad at a game that spittle flies into your monitor while you are launching a cavalcade of profanity that would make a truck driver blush is not my idea of fun.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 12:12 osage no onna

Have you played Trials2? It's great fun but just insanely challenging. The achievements are just as insane.

I have. I've gotten 1 out of 24 achievements for it* and I can't see myself ever getting any more, or I'll be risking a complete mental breakdown.

*(the one achievement being the one where you fail badly enough to break all your bones)

11. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 12:00 Agent.X7

Untouchables is hard to get? Huh. I got it last week at the end of a level and had no idea what it was for until I looked it up after I was done playing. I just assumed most people had it, as it doesn't seem too hard to get.

I like Acheivements, but for a game like L4D, I don't set out to do them. They're fun to get, but they give you nothing. I like WoW and COD4/WaW better. 100 headshots and you get something for it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 11:52 theyarecomingforyou

Achievements for unlocks are tedious and compromise gameplay. For a casual game like Team Fortress 2 they simply don't make any sense.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats May 8, 2009, 11:13 Verno

Agreed, the biggest problem I had with Call of Duty World at War was that some of the best guns are unlockables. You kinda get into it after the initial annoyance though and most of them are trivial to unlock, leveling up is easy and it's nice having some persistence in FPS games now.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

8. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats May 8, 2009, 10:55 jimnms

The only problem I have with achievements is when you have to do them to unlock parts of a game (TF2).  

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 10:44 KezClone

Edit: Trials2 must have the most insane achievements around.

Have you played Trials2? It's great fun but just insanely challenging. The achievements are just as insane.

I've wondered if playing with a controller would be easier than keyboard.

6. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 08:38 osage no onna

Well then you're not getting them just for the sake of getting them  

5. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 08:33 Verno

Well, it'd be a bit silly to try to get them just for the sake of getting them

Why is that silly? Some achievements are both challenging and genuinely enjoyable to obtain.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

4. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 08:31 Ecthelion

My rarest is Get Some Grub in Episode Two, with a 1.0% completion rate.
That one and Neighborhood Watch still elude me. I have all the rest, and I've only replayed Ep2 twice, so maybe I'll get those last two eventually...

3. Re: Steam Global Gameplay Stats<br> May 8, 2009, 07:41 osage no onna

Well, it'd be a bit silly to try to get them just for the sake of getting them, but if you happen to like a particular game, achievements make replaying them that much more fun. Most of my stats are pretty barren; I just really happen to like ep2 :p  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo