Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GamesIndustry.biz - Console Gamers Aren't PC Gamers. By Byron Atkinson-Jones (Introversion).
The key thing here is that the control scheme appears to work for us - up till this point nobody but the developers have had a chance to play with it. Since the controls tend to be put into place rather early on, the developer gets quickly acclimatised to his chosen control scheme and it's easy to become convinced that what we have now is actually a very good system and therefore best left alone. This introverted approach to playtesting also backfired for us with Darwinia+ - just before we entered into the Code Complete phase of the project our account manager at Microsoft expressed some concerns over the control scheme we had in place. Our problem was one of coherence between Darwinia and Multiwinia and also the fact that our control scheme made use of context sensitivity which meant that controls had meanings based on the current action.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 05:40 Jerykk

You slap a stupid label on me purchasing a console game as somehow a harmful political statement to your favorite platform. All of which ignores that I spend the majority of my money on my PC.

It's good that you spend the most money on the PC. I'm glad, really. However, if you buy a console so you can play console exclusives or exclusive DLC, you are doing exactly what they (usually Microsoft) want you to do. If you (and so many others) didn't do this, maybe publishers would change their methods and stay away from exclusives. You can ignore history and pretend that the rising popularity of consoles hasn't had a detrimental effect on PC gaming. You can say you simply don't care. That's fine. However, everything you've said thus far only reinforces the fact that you are complacent about gaming.

screw it, you go back on greasemonkey for a permanent ignore this time

Whatever makes you happy. However, I'm still going to state my opinions and challenge yours whenever necessary. Only now you won't have a chance to defend yourself.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 05:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 05:12 Dades

Again for the third time, stop trying to force your opinions on me. You slap a stupid label on me purchasing a console game as somehow a harmful political statement to your favorite platform. All of which ignores that I spend the majority of my money on my PC. They are machines, not human beings. Your misplaced loyalty to hunks of metal is almost as pathetic as your posts in this thread proclaiming people causing them "harm". They are entertainment devices, not girlfriends.

If you want to not purchase a console or console games then go nuts with your important political statements about impact in the gaming industry. Leave me the fuck out of it you nut job.

edit: screw it, you go back on greasemonkey for a permanent ignore this time. I have no idea why I removed you before, I thought maybe you had improved but instead you're even more of a lunatic troll. Jerykk the Pirate King lecturing me on doing harm to the industry, the irony is mindblowing.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 05:27.

26. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 04:38 Jerykk

I didn't say it was an analogy, I said it was an example of complacency. If you don't care about anything as long as you're happy, that's complacency. You yourself have very clearly stated that you're only concerned with having fun and that it isn't your responsibility to help PC gaming. That = complacency. You have yet to offer any counter to this other than "YOU'RE CRAZY!!1!"  

25. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 04:20 Dades

You're actually insane. Child labor analogy, wow just wow.  

24. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 03:43 Jerykk

This isn't politics, this is gaming.

Life is all about choice and consequence. Whether or not you care about consequence is up to. If you don't care, you are complacent. It's that simple. I'm sorry if that offends you but you are the very definition of complacent.

Personally, I care very much about the consequences of consumer purchasing habits, as they have had a dire effect on my favorite hobby. Thanks to what other people buy, regenerating health, QTEs, cover systems and aim assist have become standard mechanics. Thanks to what other people buy, PC is an afterthought for most developers. Thanks to what other people haven't bought, CRPGs, adventure games, space sims, vehicular combat, mech sims and many other genres are either dead or dying. I want to see a return to the glory days of PC gaming and for that to happen, I make sure to only support PC gaming.

I am not responsible for the PC platform, I am a consumer purchasing entertainment products.

Once again: complacency. Look it up. I never said you HAVE to care. I simply said you don't which is why you are complacent.

Here's another example of complacency:

Eating at a restaurant that employs child labor. You can say "I'M JUST A CUSTOMER EATING MY FOOD" but that doesn't change the fact that your actions support child labor. Whether or not you care about that is up to you.

23. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 03:25 Dades

Fun is all well and good but you should recognize the impact of your choices. If you support console exclusives, you are harming the PC.

Are you retarded? Danger, controversy and trouble in my living room? Seriously, you need to get a grip. This isn't politics, this is gaming.

I've already explained why buying console exclusives hurts the PC. It isn't an opinion, it's a fact. If you want PC gaming to improve, you need to give publishers a reason to focus on it and that entails only buying PC games. If you don't care about the future PC gaming and just want to have fun now, that's fine but don't claim you aren't complacent.

I support PC games by buying fun games on the PC. Stop trying to put your ideas of responsibility off on me. I am not responsible for the PC platform, I am a consumer purchasing entertainment products. If you want to be some basement dwelling lunatic who thinks that everyone who buys a console game is killing the PC then fine, you be that crazy guy.

Again so it's clear - STOP TRYING TO FORCE YOUR OPINIONS ON ME YOU WACKJOB. You have a screw loose or something. I don't know but leave me out of your bizarre "I MUST SAVE TEH PC" crap. You go ahead and save the world captain america, I'll be somewhere else.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2009, 03:26.

22. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 02:55 Jerykk

No, it's not called complacency. It's called having a good time.

com·pla·cen·cy (k&#601;m-pl&#257;'s&#601;n-s&#275;)
n.

1. A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

Fun is all well and good but you should recognize the impact of your choices. If you support console exclusives, you are harming the PC.

Take your head out of your ass for more than one minute, just long enough to see that everyone in the world doesn't share your cynical opinions on gaming.

You mistake realism for cynicism. I've already explained why buying console exclusives hurts the PC. It isn't an opinion, it's a fact. If you want PC gaming to improve, you need to give publishers a reason to focus on it and that entails only buying PC games. If you don't care about the future PC gaming and just want to have fun now, that's fine but don't claim you aren't complacent.

Your approach to PC gaming doesn't seem to helping by the way.

What, you mean buying games worth buying and not buying games based on hype? That sounds conducive to quality PC gaming to me.

21. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2009, 01:54 Dades

That's called complacency. I am a PC gamer and as such, I want to see PC gaming succeed. I also enjoy playing PC games much more than console games and therefore want all games to be designed for the PC.

No, it's not called complacency. It's called having a good time. I'm sorry fun is so fleeting for you. Take your head out of your ass for more than one minute, just long enough to see that everyone in the world doesn't share your cynical opinions on gaming.

Your approach to PC gaming doesn't seem to helping by the way.

20. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 17:04 Jerykk

I really think you should give it another chance sometime, it's exactly like the great games of old.

I've played FO3 for over 60 hours so I'm pretty familiar with its strengths and weaknesses. As usual with Bethesda's games, it's strength lies within its large, detailed world with lots of stuff to do. Its weaknesses lie within the poor writing, arbitrary morality and nonexistent balance. Don't get me wrong, FO3 is still a good game. It just isn't as good as any of the classic cRPGs.

I don't view it as supporting one side or the other. I'm just having my own personal enjoyment with games. I'm not going to sit around and deprive myself of good games for years to wait for the PC to recover.

That's called complacency. I am a PC gamer and as such, I want to see PC gaming succeed. I also enjoy playing PC games much more than console games and therefore want all games to be designed for the PC.

19. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 11:13 Dades

Nothing in the past 8 years has come even close and it definitely feels like gaming is devolving rather than improving.

I see you knock it a lot but I see that sort of complexity in Fallout 3. While some quests can be completed in the usual "good, neutral, evil" manner, there is a lot of complexity under hood that rewards the creative thinker. The amount of crap that's off the beaten path is mindblowing. I've run into a few bugs here and there but nothing showstopping. I really think you should give it another chance sometime, it's exactly like the great games of old.

Another reason why I'm a PC-only gamer is because supporting consoles is counter-productive to the growth of PC gaming

See that's where we differ. I don't view it as supporting one side or the other. I'm just having my own personal enjoyment with games. I'm not going to sit around and deprive myself of good games for years to wait for the PC to recover. It's not a job, it's a hobby.

18. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 05:40 Prez

Consoles have plenty of cool games not on the PC unfortunately, believe me I wish it wasn't that way so I could stop spending so much money

Oh, no doubt! You wouldn't hear ME complain if some of those games you mentioned as well as others that come to mind were ported to PC, unless of course they were the typical ass-tastic port job PC gamers usually get. The only reason I lament the very existence of consoles is because of how some of my favorite series are altered to suit the console demographic. For example - Thief 3 was great, but it had some consolitis that really bothered me. I know titles have sold better because of these alterations, and while that's great for developers, it isn't so great for some of us fogey gamers who have played some of these games long before there was even a Playstation or an XBox.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 03:49 Jerykk

I don't know about that. It certainly isn't true for me. I can afford any and all console systems if I wanted them, yet I don't see any compelling reason whatsoever to own any of them.

^^^This. I really can't think of any compelling reason to buy a console. The vast majority of multiplatform games come out on the PC and are better on the PC too. The few exclusives that don't come out on PC tend to be overrated crap (GoW2, Fable 2, Resistance, Killzone 2, etc) anyway.

Another reason why I'm a PC-only gamer is because supporting consoles is counter-productive to the growth of PC gaming. The PC is the superior platform but if you buy a console and console games, you aren't providing any incentive for publishers to focus on the PC. Buying console-exclusives is especially harmful to PC gaming, as you're just convincing Microsoft and Sony to continue bribing developers for exclusives. Conversely, if you only buy PC games, you are giving publishers a reason to treat PC gaming as more than just an afterthought.

In terms of "hardcore" classification, I haven't been spending as much time playing games as I used to but that's only because games simply aren't as good as they used to be. Prettier, sure, but most new games are utterly generic and uninspired. Game design has become far too formulaic: regenerating health, cover systems, aim assist, QTEs... the mechanics I loathe are now standard. Where are the games like Tribes? Deus Ex? Planescape Torment? Nothing in the past 8 years has come even close and it definitely feels like gaming is devolving rather than improving.

16. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 02:20 Dades

Just that I felt so burnt by the state of the PC release of GTA 4 that I lost any desire to ever play a Rockstar game again, eliminating the one thing that I felt consoles had over PC's.

Consoles have plenty of cool games not on the PC unfortunately, believe me I wish it wasn't that way so I could stop spending so much money I'd love to see Fable 2, Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, Valkryia Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia and blah blah blah happen on the PC. Likewise the PC has some pretty good games not on consoles. I find the other guys post to be more true to my personal knowledge than yours, most of my friends that game have at least one console and a PC. I'd say people who just own a PC and nothing else to game are probably in the minority. One of my RL buddies was a pretty hardcore PC-only guy and even he has a PSP and a 360 these days.

Not that any of it is really important. There's so many shared games between platforms these days that it's basically down to the question of if the player wants mods, do they game at ~1920x1080 or higher and what the genre of games they like to play. A bunch of us in my old WoW guild still do a game night once every few weeks and we had a good laugh last week. Between the 5 of us we own nearly identical titles spanned across three platforms so it's impossible to play anything. LOL.

15. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2009, 00:49 Prez

GTA4 was pretty much unplayable on PC release so I'm not sure what point you're aiming for there Prez

Just that I felt so burnt by the state of the PC release of GTA 4 that I lost any desire to ever play a Rockstar game again, eliminating the one thing that I felt consoles had over PC's.

FWIW, my son games on a 3850 (I ripped it out of my machine and gave it to him when I upgraded, and he can play just about any game except Crysis on really pleasant-looking graphics settings. I surely do understand just how ubiquitous consoles are relative to gaming PC's. I was just pointing out that not every 'hardcore' gamer owns a console. Whether I'm in the minority or not, I don't know, but I guess that I might be.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 21:58 Dades

When I do game, it is 100% on PC, with no regrets. Especially after the disaster that GTA 4 was

GTA4 was pretty much unplayable on PC release so I'm not sure what point you're aiming for there Prez. I generally agree with the rest of your points but I don't think you're taking into account how many people own a console. Half the people I know in real life have a moderately powerful computer that's usually OEM purchased with something like a Radeon 3850+ inside. Not hardcore powerful but enough for moderate settings in most games. They usually have a Wii or a PS3/360 as well, if not some handheld consoles. I can count the number of people I know with just a computer on a few fingers

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 22:04.

13. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 19:38 PHJF

I don't think 10 hours a week is hardcore. I did, after all, just plug 48.6 hours of L4D in the past 8 days, and the night is still quite young.

And that was mixed with Wolverine and some replaying of Tron 2.0. Granted my recovery from surgery leaves me predisposed to more gaming hours, but even so, 10 hours of games a week would be me "taking a break" or some such silly nonsense.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 19:00 RP

I consider myself a "hardcore casual" gamer, in that while I have the desire to, I just don't have the time to play many games.

Same here. Based on these silly definitions, what's more "hardcore": me playing Civ IV and GalCiv for a combined 4 hours/week, or someone playing Peggle and The Sims for 10 hours/week?

Since I don't play videogames as much as I used to, I can't justify purchasing a console or Xbox live sub. Plenty of PC games to fill my videogaming time.

11. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 18:56 DG

I've owned: master system, megadrive, PC, PC, playstation, N64, PC, PC, PC, 360, PC.
Via friends I've had a fair bit of usage of: Amstrads, Speccy, Amigas, SNES, Saturn, Cube and Dreamcast. Oh and another PC, when someone got a 3Dfx Voodoo.
(PC requires a new CPU + GPU to be counted)

While I've always had a PC since that beastly 486DX2 50mhz (heh, I just realised, my current PC is the only one not built with an ID game in mind ), my usage has always shifted with the games. For both quantity and quality, that Playstation stands out by a mile. But, on nearly any given year my PC may have had much fewer good games, but always one which shone that much brighter (perhaps bar GTA's).

These days the consoles are gaining ground, their games are getting even better and PC is dragging down. Through the 360 I've had the likes of Halo3, Bioshock, GTAIV, FO3... some very good games, while the only thing that's really taken me on PC has been L4D (before that? CivIV). That said, my L4D game time is probably very close to the total of all my 360 games, and to my surprise I do all my really casual gaming on the PC, thanks to Steam.

Maybe the most annoying thing though is, PC really should be beating the shit out of every other platform, it should be a PC golden age. A gaming grade PC can be done for surely the cheapest ever. PC's now Just Work vastly more than ever. Shit, console problems are now more infamous than PC problems. Nearly all the good games come to PC, on paper the catalogue is way better than any console.

But, they keep coming late and idiotically fucked up with shit ports, retarded DRM and forcing crap like GfW. If it made sense I'd be OK with it, but I just can't understand this fucked up approach where for so many businesses the customer and the product seem to be the two least important things. People put it down to bean counting, profiteering and whatever, but hey I'm the accountant here and if that's what they're trying to do they've got it ass-backwards and the quarterly financial reports tell it loud and clear.

10. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 15:46 Prez

In my experience most "hardcore" gamers own both at least one console and a PC with decent gaming capabilities anyways.

I don't know about that. It certainly isn't true for me. I can afford any and all console systems if I wanted them, yet I don't see any compelling reason whatsoever to own any of them. I bought a Wii for my kids, but outside of playing Mario Party with my daughter occasionally, I have absolutely no use for it whatsoever. I can't think of a single game other than GTA 3 that has been released in the last 10 years on consoles that made me even remotely want a console. I bought a Playstation way back in the day to play the original Resident Evil. That's all I can think of. Had Fallout 3 and Oblivion been console exclusives, I would have been sad, but not compelled to buy an XBOX.

I consider myself a "hardcore casual" gamer, in that while I have the desire to, I just don't have the time to play many games. When I do game, it is 100% on PC, with no regrets. Especially after the disaster that GTA 4 was.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2009, 14:42 Verno

In my experience most "hardcore" gamers own both at least one console and a PC with decent gaming capabilities anyways. There are too many good titles on both sides to just have one or the other. I basically keep my PC around to play Blizzard games and the odd game that I feel consoles don't do justice to(some FPS games mainly).  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo