Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3D Realms Closing?

3D Realms is shutting down according to a report on Shacknews that's confirmed by a post on the 3D Realms Forums by Joe Siegler, who says: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time." 3D Realms has been otherwise silent on this topic so far, but publisher Deep Silver and newly formed Apogee are unaffected by the news, as they say: "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned." According to Shack the closure is due to funding issues, and they have a statement from Take Two who claim to still own publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever, but that they have not been funding development of 3D Realms' flagship game.

View
124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

64. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:32 Creston

the fact that 3DRealms was self-funding development of the game, clearly a strategy that doesn't work in this economy when you don't have other products bringing in cash

It probably could work, if you didn't take thirteen fucking years to make a game.

3DR had revenue from both Max Payne's and from Prey, and it should have been more than enough to finish DNF.

Of course, I think for this entire decade, the only 'work' that was being done on DNF was someone going into the office once a week to see if the DNF - Source code folder still existed on C:\

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:32 space captain

these guys rode a gravy train for 13 fuckin years without producing a damn thing

yeh i bet they are really crying about this, crying all the way to the bank

$_$

dont worry kids, i bet they are going to write each of you a personal note of apology.. so dont get your panties in a bunch

Go forth, and kill!

62. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:27 Verno

I think Monolith would do the series the most justice. They've proven that they can do humor with NOLF and they were one of the first developers to use the Build engine.

I'd prefer Volition. Saints Row 2 shows the kind of zany humor that you'd expect from a modern Duke. Hell just give me a Duke character import for Saints Row 2.

I hope the non-management people find work soon... but the rest can rot in hell.

Haha whoa calm down, they didn't murder your dog.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 12:28.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

61. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:22 wtf_man

Good Riddance.

I hope the non-management people find work soon... but the rest can rot in hell.

If some other company does buy the IP and completes the game (in a reasonable amount of time)... I may actually buy it, instead of Boycotting it like I had originally planned.

Otherwise, it's no loss, IMO.

60. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:19 Creston

It's amazing how you don't release a game for ten years, and then your money just runs out.

What, you mean nobody wanted to invest in the solid gold that was Duke Nukem Forever?

Someone should dig up all the announcements of which engine the game was going to use. I think it started with Quake 2, went Unreal, and on from there. There must have been at least a dozen engine switches in its 'lifetime'.

Poor George. I guess being a big blowhard doesn't always work, huh?

Creston

59. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:11 Wildone

Im sure the leads/ceo are drivin ferrari's & Gtrs tho! LMAO...  

58. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 12:00 Cutter

broussard, siegler etc will just fade into the background. without a word or official statement. very unprofessional and thats how its been for the last how many years DNF has been "in development" ... the fans deserve that at least. the most incompetently handled development in pc gaming history. sorry.

Capitalization. Learn it. Love it. Use it.

Anyway, I don't even know why these guys bothered blowing their money like this. They should have just invested in some solid blue-chips and retired to an island somewhere, because they obviously weren't interested in creating games anymore.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

57. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:57 Optimaximal

Then a secret anonymous rich person steps in and bails them out at the last second.
FileFront had actually done something of worth over the past 13 years to justify its continued existence - Too much money has already been thrown into the black hole that is 3DR for anyone short of a lunatic who won the lottery to care about financing them.

56. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:56 Jerykk

I don't know, I'd like to see Remedy get it before Rockstar. As long as Epic doesn't get it then I am happy.

I think Monolith would do the series the most justice. They've proven that they can do humor with NOLF and they were one of the first developers to use the Build engine.

55. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:53 Parallax Abstraction

Who owns the IP? Does T2 own Duke Nukem Forever but 3D Realms the Duke Nukem franchise? What do Apogee and Deep Silver have to do with it

Take-Two owns the rights to publish Duke Nukem Forever if it ever gets finished. They don't own the IP, they just owns the rights to release the game. Apogee and Deep Silver are currently developing Duke Nukem Trilogy for the PSP and I think the DS. They own the rights to develop and release that game. None of these companies owns the entire Duke Nukem IP currently. I imagine someone will buy it from 3DR and there's a good chance it will be Take-Two. Since 3DR just folded yesterday, it's way too early for companies to announce a bidding war.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

54. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:53 Reactor

I think I'd like to see Duke Nukem Forever go to Rockstar. I can't think of another dev that would deliver a better DNF.

Dumb.

53. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:50 GT

The majority of revenue funding DNF development was Max Payne 1/2 royalties according to several ex-employees. That doesn't mean they didn't accrue debt though.
But, it strongly suggests it since there is no need to take on expensive debt if you have sufficient revenue for operations.

Yeah people just hate money and the Duke Nukem IP wouldn't be worth a lot. I am shocked you could even fathom it not being sold, it would be a goldmine in the right hands.
Of course I could fathom it being sold since I already wrote that 3D Realms has a history or doing that, BUT it is more likely that the Duke IP would simply be developed by another entity as Prey was rather than a sale unless there is some large outstanding debt to satisfy (and I doubt there is). That way the IP still makes money, and the IP rights are retained for future exploitation.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 12:48.

52. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:49 Quboid

Always a matter of time.

Who owns the IP? Does T2 own Duke Nukem Forever but 3D Realms the Duke Nukem franchise? What do Apogee and Deep Silver have to do with it

- Quboid

51. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:28 nin

Time has run out. They burned through their nest egg and hoped that they'd get funding to continue. In this economy it simply didn't happen.

That was my thought - they ran out of cash and went to T2, who either told them to fuck off, or their terms involved signing everything over to them.

And I would imagine other publishers would demand the same thing, given the fact that 3DR can't seem to close the deal...

But I don't feel sorry for them. They had every opportunity to make a game (and it’s follow up, by now), and chose not to...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:23 Verno

I don't know, I'd like to see Remedy get it before Rockstar. As long as Epic doesn't get it then I am happy.  

49. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:23 Hump

The majority of revenue funding DNF development was Max Payne 1/2 royalties according to several ex-employees. That doesn't mean they didn't accrue debt though. Time will tell!

Time has run out. They burned through their nest egg and hoped that they'd get funding to continue. In this economy it simply didn't happen.

Its sad, its shocking but it isn't surprising.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

48. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:23 spindoctor

This is truly a shame as while DNF was deservedly the butt of many jokes, this is a developer with a long and memorable history. Nice to see so many people laughing about a bunch of likely hard working developers losing their jobs because a game didn't come out that didn't affect your lives in any way and which nobody here would have played anyway (those that didn't steal it anyway.) I wonder how these people would feel if they lost their job and a bunch of people laughed at them and said they deserved it just because they worked somewhere that hadn't released a product in a while but told them their job was secure.

this is what is bugging me about this mess. sure, you can say that this outcome of them having to close down is expected, unsurprising and possibly even deserved. but no one seems to be seeing that it is a real loss to the people who built the company and the people who are out of jobs today. no one ever sets out to fail, and if it happens, it happens. i've been guilty of my fair share of vapourware jokes over the years but i take no pleasure in seeing the company drown altogether. and it's a shame that dnf will be 3d realms' legacy when they also did a lot more, even if it was a long time ago.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

47. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:22 Tumbler

I think I'd like to see Duke Nukem Forever go to Rockstar. I can't think of another dev that would deliver a better DNF.

I've seen clips of DNF pop up at random places lately and it's crazy to think that when this game came out you had hookers you could pay for sex, strippers you could tip, and in general REALLY raunchy humor all through the game that can only be compared to Rockstar's Hot Coffee issues in recent years. (Maybe the god of war sex games?)

Hmm, maybe the God of War devs too but it's such a different genre I'd rather stay with Rockstar on this, an Open world DNF would kick so much ass.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

46. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:14 Verno

I doubt it because no sane bank or financial institution would finance game development for so long with no return. It's been written elsewhere that revenue from 3D Realms' past games funded DNF's development.

The majority of revenue funding DNF development was Max Payne 1/2 royalties according to several ex-employees. That doesn't mean they didn't accrue debt though. Time will tell!

That simply means 3D Realms needed more funds for development. The fact that the company went to a publisher to request these additional funds instead of to a financial institution strongly suggests that the company didn't have an existing credit line to finance development of the game and couldn't or wouldn't get one

It can also strongly suggest that they couldn't get anymore credit. I doubt they would've approached their publisher who was already very unhappy with them and denied them funds if it wasn't a last resort.

There is no need to sell it unless there is some outstanding debt to satisfy. The surviving company or owners of the property could just authorize development of it by another entity.

Yeah people just hate money and the Duke Nukem IP wouldn't be worth a lot. I am shocked you could even fathom it not being sold, it would be a goldmine in the right hands.

They also never put any money into development of DNF

Sure they have, they did several times, presumably in the form of advance royalties or milestone payments but they weren't specific. They even went out of their way to say that they weren't giving them anymore money awhile ago(2003 or 2004) until it was finished at which point George started spouting off about self-funding. They even offered 3D Realms a $500,000.00 bonus just to get the game finished for 2004.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 11:18.

45. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 11:12 Parallax Abstraction

Actually dsmart, given that the company is closing due to lack of funding, I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to think that Take-Two will be the primary party interested in purchasing the IP. They spent 20mil funding development for a large part of that time and retain publishing rights.

You claimed they owned the IP, that's different than being first in line to buy it. They also never put any money into development of DNF. George Broussard has more than once relished in the fact that 3DRealms was self-funding development of the game, clearly a strategy that doesn't work in this economy when you don't have other products bringing in cash. If Take-Two had put money into the project, they would have been able to force it to release and would have done so long ago. They also wouldn't have to buy the IP as the debt would have guaranteed its transfer to them upon 3DRealms' closure. I'd love to see a link to a story that said they were shopping it around to another publisher because no story I've read about this mentions that.

This is truly a shame as while DNF was deservedly the butt of many jokes, this is a developer with a long and memorable history. Nice to see so many people laughing about a bunch of likely hard working developers losing their jobs because a game didn't come out that didn't affect your lives in any way and which nobody here would have played anyway (those that didn't steal it anyway.) I wonder how these people would feel if they lost their job and a bunch of people laughed at them and said they deserved it just because they worked somewhere that hadn't released a product in a while but told them their job was secure.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 11:15.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo