Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3D Realms Closing?

3D Realms is shutting down according to a report on Shacknews that's confirmed by a post on the 3D Realms Forums by Joe Siegler, who says: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time." 3D Realms has been otherwise silent on this topic so far, but publisher Deep Silver and newly formed Apogee are unaffected by the news, as they say: "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned." According to Shack the closure is due to funding issues, and they have a statement from Take Two who claim to still own publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever, but that they have not been funding development of 3D Realms' flagship game.

View
124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

124. Re: 3D Realms Closing? Jun 3, 2009, 19:33 PigHunter

Always Bet On Duke.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

123. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 14, 2009, 11:12 CythrawL

So you are going to leave PC gaming because Duk4Ever didnt come out????

Ok, seeya!! Dont let the door hit ya in the ass as I am playing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

It amazes me how people can be so passionate about a game that hasn't existed for 13 years. This past week there has been a huge media blitz of screen shots, Movies, etc.. If 3DRealms had been doing that for the past few years, then maybe, just maybe they would still be open today. GB's policy of releasing no media at all was a shot in the back. Also don't you think its funny that George is dead silent right now. No posts anywhere or anything. No interviews. NOTHING.

I doubt we will ever hear from him again TBH.

122. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 12, 2009, 13:53 MashHawkeye

Well I for one feel like a complete sucka. I did not want to believe that D4E was vaperware. I kept holding my breath for nothing apparently. Way to go. D3D got me into PC gaming and now it seems as if D4E will kick me out.

I am seriously disappointed.

121. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 12, 2009, 04:21 cronik

Common guys, April fools was last month... Just get the game done already!  

120. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 10, 2009, 12:29  Xymph 

Sure, but I will try to send you one download link with all of the files enclosed in an archive instead because that should be easier for you to incorporate into the FTP mirror. Look for it shortly via email.
Thanks, that helped me know where to look, but I ended up getting the files directly from the 3DR site, as there were a few issues with your collection (contact me with a working email if you'd like to know the details).

I also unzipped the readme's from all the files and restored their original timestamps for a chronological perspective. The whole set is now available here:

ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.3drealms.com/downloads/

Actually, no, they are not. Some of the content on 3DGamers.com is not mirrored there including some which I personally submitted to 3DGamers.com years ago.
If you can send me a list of the missing files, perhaps I can help Matthias find and archive them on his site. But it's also possible that the files you're thinking of fall outside the scope of The Patches Scrolls (e.g. it rarely keeps demo patches).

-- Frans

119. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 10, 2009, 07:29 AJkiwi

Pffft. I gave up thinking that DNF would come out years ago.

I hope 3D realms mgmt team is broke, I hope that no one from that team ever gets hired in any industry again, and I laugh in the face of the fanboys.

Their hubris and mismanagement cost us a game, but that's it.

What a bunch of dicks the 3D realms mgmt team are.

118. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 9, 2009, 11:08 jm0ris0n

That sounds like a likely perspective, however, if it had only take $5 million more to finish Duke, and they showed good evidence of this, then I'm sure someone would have funded that investment.

Hell, I know a group of investors who could come up with a 6 month, 5 million dollar loan, its not that hard. The difficult part would be if the project was not nearly ready for implementation, and could not be finished, and shipped in 09...then i wouldn't touch this project with a 10 foot pole.

I mean really, a 35 man development team @6 months dev/testing time, would eat through 5 million in 6 months. Is the game really that polished, that it could be released in 2009?

117. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 9, 2009, 09:50 Hump

here's an interesting take on the events leading up to the shutdown:

http://www.duke4.net/comment.php?comment.news.267

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

116. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 19:25 GT

Care to mail me the URLs?
Sure, but I will try to send you one download link with all of the files enclosed in an archive instead because that should be easier for you to incorporate into the FTP mirror. Look for it shortly via email.

I'm afraid that's not possible, as the rights to that archive (not the files themselves but the way they were organized) were part of that deal.
Do you happen to have a plain list of the files though? A plain file listing can't be copyrighted although I suppose for a site like 3DGamers.com it would be massive.

But at least all the old patches are also at The Patches Scrolls.
Actually, no, they are not. Some of the content on 3DGamers.com is not mirrored there including some which I personally submitted to 3DGamers.com years ago. There is probably quite a bit more which I am unaware of as well since there are several genres of games which I don't play. But, yes, The Patches Scrolls is just about the last bastion of old and rare game patches that is still online.

115. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 15:39  Xymph 

There were also some downloads on 3DRealms download page which were not included in the FTP site. I can post those for you to include with the FTP mirror along with the original download webpage if you can't get them from 3DRealms.com yourself.
Their site is up so I could, if only I knew which files/pages you're talking about. Care to mail me the URLs?

I wish you could bring back the lost files from the 3DGamers.com archive. I still miss it since FilePlanet did not incorporate its contents with the buyout. It simply said it had 80% or so of the same files so why bother with the rest? That 20% were files for old and obscure games which simply weren't mirrored anywhere else.
I'm afraid that's not possible, as the rights to that archive (not the files themselves but the way they were organized) were part of that deal. But at least all the old patches are also at The Patches Scrolls.

-- Frans

114. Re: No subject May 8, 2009, 14:49 jm0ris0n

I can't wait till the source code gets leaked and a semi-working alpha version of this game makes it onto the interweb. Then at least, we'll have some justice / closure.  

113. Re: No subject May 8, 2009, 13:51 mystery8

Wow. This is terrible news if true The 3D Realms forums seem to be hammered at the moment.  

112. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 13:18 GT

ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.3drealms.com/
Thanks for the mirror! I also backed up the site myself the day the news hit Shacknews. There were also some downloads on 3DRealms download page which were not included in the FTP site. I can post those for you to include with the FTP mirror along with the original download webpage if you can't get them from 3DRealms.com yourself.

If someone can think of another endangered gaming ftp archive from the old days
I wish you could bring back the lost files from the 3DGamers.com archive. I still miss it since FilePlanet did not incorporate its contents with the buyout. It simply said it had 80% or so of the same files so why bother with the rest? That 20% were files for old and obscure games which simply weren't mirrored anywhere else.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 13:22.

111. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 12:25 Verno

Bunch of concept art hitting various ex-3DR blogs, looks incredibly underwhelming. They decided to focus on stupid EDF environments instead of the fun stuff from Duke3D like hitting the red light district and so on.

http://talkinrealatyou.blogspot.com/

http://www.squidcakes.blogspot.com/

There's another one with 3D model renders but I don't have a link handy.

The company's webmaster is trying to get donations on his blog, LOL. Guy was employed there for 13 years and did nothing but lock forum posts, you'd figure he could've saved some money especially considering he was salaried and had a benefits package. Just pathetic, we'll get no real closure from this pile of crap.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 12:26.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

110. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 11:17 Ledge

so thats it?.. wheres an official statement .. what a joke. at least we have some closure to this circus act.  

109. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 11:16 theyarecomingforyou

i still recall that e3 2001 trailer for duke nukem forever. while i guess it's impossible to judge the state of a game from a two minute trailer, i recall it looking really, really impressive.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It looked like the game was pretty much ready back then, so how the hell it never got released I don't know.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

108. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 08:34  Xymph 

http://www.3drealms.com/ appears to be shut down already (edit: nevermind, it's back now), although their forums and the Apogee site still work.
Anyway, since someone recently mentioned the Sierra ftp site had been shut down with no mirror for its old(er) files, I figured now is a good time to mirror ftp.realms.com:

ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.3drealms.com/

It fits snugly amidst our mirrors of the 3DPortal, GamesDomain, PlanetQuake, Cactus, Wolf3D and UWP/UML ftp archives.
If someone can think of another endangered gaming ftp archive from the old days that we might want to adopt into our orphanage, please let me know.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 11:26.

-- Frans

107. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 08:04 Nucas

i still recall that e3 2001 trailer for duke nukem forever. while i guess it's impossible to judge the state of a game from a two minute trailer, i recall it looking really, really impressive.

at one point at least 3drealms had a great looking game that i would have definitely paid money for based on that media alone. but for whatever reason, they felt they had to play ion storm's game of technology catch up for 8 fucking years.

they need not worry, their title of industry laughing stock is secure.

106. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 21:20 Krovven

Beamer...

http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr

# TPQJX-QV6YG-?XCB6-FW96P-R4PMJ. Code for Duke Nukem 3D on XBOX 360 Live Arcade. Replace the ? with the correct letter or number. Have fun.1:20 PM Apr 28th from web

# QY?3W-3Q8RC-TGBXQ-HFQ88-K88YM. Code for Duke Nukem 3D on XBOX 360 Live Arcade. Replace the ? with the correct letter or number. Have fun.1:21 PM Apr 28th from web

105. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 20:54 Beamer

Also - does this mean no dn3d for xbla?

Damn.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

124 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >