Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Turns Six

CCP Announces that EVE Online is celebrating its sixth anniversary, as the outer space MMORPG launched on May 6, 2003, describing the game's six year history as: "A living history where truly brilliant strategies have unfolded. Truly terrible betrayals unveiled. We are excited to see what will happen next." They also announce the game now boasts 300,000 active subscribers, which does not include trial accounts, describing this as exponential growth after starting the year with about 244,000 subscribers.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 16:30 Ginny

"Saying that CCP sells ISK is just silly"

Correct.

What they did do though was successfully con people in to becoming isk farmers on their behalf:)

Funnier still, the insecure halfwits that troll and spam their forum on a daily basis, totaly agree with ccp that isk farmers 'are evil' while buying those plex codes.

300k yeah right, ccp have lied about the numbers in the past, their doing it again, for every average 2-3k you see logged on at any given time of the day, at the peak of any content update;

CCP magicaly come up with 50k more players (cough)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 14:04 VoodooV

I played the trial once and I loved how deep the game is.

Sadly, I just don't have the time for MMOs, nor will I pay the monthly fees.

18. Re: Black Prophecy FTW! May 7, 2009, 13:42 maldoror

You are a moron, Black Prophecy is a completely diffrent game from EVE.

2. Is Black Prophecy anything like Eve Online?

Black Prophecy is a Massively Multiplayer Online Space Shooter with role-play elements focussing on fast and exciting real-time combat space battles. Our approach is to provide quick and easy game fun without the necessity to develop your character over months. So besides the fact that both games play in space, they do not have much more in common.

Some people like the depth and massive economy and fleet battles a game like EVE offers.

17. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 10:03 Tumbler

Yeah, it does have a lot of alts. So the important number really isn't how many accounts they have, it's that the game is still growing. You can count the number of MMOs still growing after 6 years on one hand.

The additional content they've made for the game, 3 different sets, for FREE has been pretty impressive. The first expansion got me to come back and see how things looked. It's impressive that they continue to offer these new content packs for free.

I think that is a huge reason why this game is still growing. It's a very good game but requires a lot of time to play. Too much time for me sadly.

I wish they'd accelerate some core skills for new players. I think there should be missions that offer you completed skills, there are many core skills that take months to get out of the way. And even after completing those skills you are no where near effective in combat so I question why new players don't get some help "catching up" to current players.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 04:42 starmonkey

So what? Those accounts are paid for.

The point is that it's not 300k unique humans actively playing their game.. so it's more of a "lively universe" consideration.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 04:42.

15. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 04:03 Dmitri_M

I have a few friends who completely dropped all other games in favour of this. One or two nearly dropped their jobs I suspect.  

14. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 02:40 Pottsey

Grobschnitt said "Who can blame them when you looking at YEARS of skilling just to get even half as good as old players."
Due to the way the skill system works it takes new players about a few hours to half a day on a skill to get one skill half as good as an old player who spent 30days on the skill.

A new player could most likely get half as good as an year old player in a month or two skill wise. Perhaps a lot less with the bonues training speed.

As for those that call Eve a spreadsheet they are just being stupid and clearly has no idea what the game has turned into. Things like Sleepers inside wormhole space are hardly just a spreadsheet game.

13. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 02:17 Kxmode

=SUM(3+3) *snicker* In all seriousness though grats CCP!

This comment was edited on May 7, 2009, 02:33.

12. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 00:38 Creston

Another thing they don't tell you is almost half, yes almost HALF or more of that 300.000 are alt accounts.

So what? Those accounts are paid for. I doubt CCP would give a shit if 290,000 of those accounts are people who fork over 15 bucks every month and never log in.

300K accounts = 4.5 million dollars a month = 54 million dollars a year. You should be able to keep a MMORPG going indefinitely with that and make a nice living for yourself besides.

Creston

11. Black Prophecy FTW! May 6, 2009, 22:22 Cutter

If you haven't seen or heard about Black Prophecy, check it out.

http://blackprophecy-game.com/

Take a look at that first gameplay film. Pretty f'n impressive. I really hope this game is all the things EvE isn't, like, good.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 22:11 ViRGE

Another thing they don't tell you is almost half, yes almost HALF or more of that 300.000 are alt accounts. I've played for a few years and all the Corps/guilds I have been in nearly everyone has at least 1 alt account that the may or may not admit too.
Yeah, it does have a lot of alts. So the important number really isn't how many accounts they have, it's that the game is still growing. You can count the number of MMOs still growing after 6 years on one hand.

As they say, if you're not growing you're dying.

9. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 21:53 Rilcon

Money payed into buying a PLEX is money that goes into paying the buyer's account; it's not extra cash for CCP, unless you consider that one of the accounts wouldn't be active if they couldn't use PLEXes. Saying that CCP sells ISK is just silly.

But anyways. Most people I know in the game have under 15mil SP and no alts, and they all enjoy the game.

8. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 21:44 Grobschnitt

Hard to trust this company after all the developer misconduct.

Another thing they don't tell you is almost half, yes almost HALF or more of that 300.000 are alt accounts. I've played for a few years and all the Corps/guilds I have been in nearly everyone has at least 1 alt account that the may or may not admit too.

Many players have alts in opposite at odds corps/guilds for spying etc. When you get up high enough in the game you practically NEED 2-3 accounts because it gives you so many advantages. Then you have the multibox freaks with 4+ accounts.

CCP is always playing the numbers game trying to make themselves look better than they really are, I have never seen more than 46.000 players on the server at one time ever. That was just a few weeks ago on a weekend prime time when most players are logging on to que up another 90 day skill. After the new rush of noobs and the retail box runs it's course things will settle down again because really the game is so tedious for new people noobs quit fast. Who can blame them when you looking at YEARS of skilling just to get even half as good as old players.

Eve Offline is what it should be called.

The only reason I stuck with it is because my corp is rich enough we just buy awesome characters from other players. All within company guidelines. I have a 70 mill SP character and the game is fun now.

THe biggest corps can basically buy anything and do anything they want.

Run out of isk? NP go buy some GTC or PLEX and pay CCP more buy for buying gold off them insted of grinding for more or buying off the gold farmers

Though many many players think CCP are in the farming business because they never really do anything about it.

It really is a messed up game lol.

7. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 21:36 Kosumo

Good on them.

I've never played any MMO but this sound like it is most what I would look for in a MMO due to that it does seem that it is player driven i.e. different groups play off agaist each other, plotting, planning.

All be it with a bit of involvement form the devs

6. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 21:28 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Not bad for a spreadsheet in space game.  
Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

5. Re: Congratulations! May 6, 2009, 21:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Blue probably got the announcement right. I'm going to guess that the CCP translation was screwed up, and was edited. Which isn't the first time.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Congratulations! May 6, 2009, 20:29 Slink

Blue got the part of subscribers wrong it looks like. Here's the info right from the announcement:

We started out the year with around 244,000 subscribers and in five short months we've had a 22% growth in subscribers. In the past couple days we surpassed the impressive milestone of 300,000 active subscribers.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

3. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 20:29 Wallshadows

Actually, going from 30 million active subscribers to 30 thousand is actually really, really bad.

I was about to throw the book at you till I reread the description!

2. Congratulations! May 6, 2009, 20:18 Quboid

It's not a game I've tried (although I hear the new update is much more newbie friendly) but I really admire what they've done.

They also announce the game now boasts 300,00 active subscribers, which does not include trial accounts, describing this as exponential growth after starting the year with about 3000,0000 subscribers.

Actually, going from 30 million active subscribers to 30 thousand is actually really, really bad. TFA puts the figures at 244k at the start of the year and 300k now, which is better. Much better.

- Quboid

1. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 6, 2009, 20:08 Techie714

AWESOME! Way to go guys it's obvious you have a product out their that people love.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo