Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken

Bethesda Game Studios Forums have word that the PC edition of the Broken Steel add-on for Fallout 3 is suffering a problematic launch on Games for Windows (thanks Eurogamer). Attempting to install the DLC results in a "not a cryptographic message" error, and there is speculation that the size of the download is not correct. Update: Word from Bethesda is this is a GFW DRM error: "We're seeing the same error, which is a Games for Windows Live DRM install error. Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 23:50 Creston

So what are the mods I should get?

MMM? FWE? FOOK?

MMM is a definite yes. I personally don't "get" FOOK, but it's a quality mod. I have no idea what FWE is.

Alternatively, check out Xodarap's Fallout Overhaul

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=334

It's an excellent mod, but sadly he keeps adding new features and new features and new features and never bothers to make sure the old features work. Plus he's working on stuff for, like, release 0.89b when everyone else is still on 0.84b, so then when he gets bug reports he can't figure out why people are having problems, since he's looking at scripts that are 5 versions ahead.

In short, he's one guy trying to do 6 people worth of work. But his ideas are excellent and some of his ESPs are fantastic.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 5, 2009, 23:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 20:11 Kxmode

"We're seeing the same error, which is a Games for Windows Live DRM install error. Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it."

I do recall Beth saying this,
For Fallout 3's copy protection on PC, we use the same security model as we did for Oblivion - a simple disc check. We only use SecuRom's disc check functionality for copy protection. We do NOT limit the number of installs. We do NOT use online authentication or any other SecuROM functionality except for a disc check when you install the game and when you launch the game. We do not install any other programs and we don't have anything that runs in the background while you're playing the game.
So how can this happen for an add-on, and more importantly does this add-in add full-blown ninjaware?

55. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 18:02 Overon

So this fuck up is the 2nd fuckup with the fallout 3 dlc. The first one had all those question marks appearing everywhere in the level. What was the explanation for that?  

54. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 17:25 Funkinator

So what are the mods I should get?

MMM? FWE? FOOK?

This comment was edited on May 5, 2009, 17:25.

53. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 17:15 Creston

Pfft, the truly hardcore play MMM+FWE+FOOK

I don't get FOOK. I just don't. It's a great mod, but is the game better if you have 287 different weapons, each with their own kind of ammo?

I also love how everyone wanted all the leveled shit out of Oblivion, then Bethesda does that (mostly) for Fallout3, then people put it back in with FOOK. Okay?

I use MMM. What's FWE? I use small parts of the Fallout Overhaul by xodarap, but he had a great mod at 0.75, and since then he's swamped himself in feature creep and nothing works anymore.

Creston

52. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 17:02 noctroglyph

Verno wrote:

"GfWL isn't half as terrible as people make it out to be but unfortunately it's like..."

...8 times as shitty as people make it out to be.

End of story.

~n~

This comment was edited on May 5, 2009, 17:03.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

51. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 16:25 Verno

It's not that important anyways. When I want good combat AI, I turn to the community, not Bethesda.

Really the only thing I want out of this DLC is being able to play after I complete the main quest, in a non-hacky sort of way. The fact that they've built quests around Project Purity and such is just a bonus.

The added monsters and such, meh. MMM adds 200 monsters, I think I can do without Bethesda's three.

Super Mutant Gargantuan > Super Mutant Overlord.

Pfft, the truly hardcore play MMM+FWE+FOOK

To the guy below me:

The developer also said the following regarding unrelated Xbox 360 errors: "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements. This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."

This comment was edited on May 5, 2009, 16:30.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

50. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 16:08 kimbambaman

Anyways I went to that forum link Blue posted above and I saw people had no issues with the Xbox version only the PC version.

FYI, there are complaints on MN's blog that the 360 version is not unlocking achievements properly. I think I will wait a few days before getting this and let them sort the issues out some.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

49. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 15:30 Creston

It's not that important anyways. When I want good combat AI, I turn to the community, not Bethesda.

Really the only thing I want out of this DLC is being able to play after I complete the main quest, in a non-hacky sort of way. The fact that they've built quests around Project Purity and such is just a bonus.

The added monsters and such, meh. MMM adds 200 monsters, I think I can do without Bethesda's three.

Super Mutant Gargantuan > Super Mutant Overlord.

Creston

48. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 15:28 Tumbler

They should spend a little extra time to make sure it all works fine before release. Is that so much to ask for?

Maybe Bill O Reilly is running the show. FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!, THERE'S NOT TIME TO TEST IT, FUCKING THING SUCKS, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 14:42 Verno

They have some new tricks, you're reading too much into one sentence and making your own conclusions. One of them jumped across the screen at me, it was pretty cool  

46. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 14:30 Creston

The DLC enemies are really tough. Sneak attack critical headshot on one of the Super Mutant Overlords barely dented his health. Some new ghoul attacked me and did nearly half my health despite wearing the best power armor in the game. It's fun that the game is challenging again.

Sounds like Bethesda basically just multiplied monsters' health and damage by ten. It'd have been nice if there had been some new AI or some new attack patterns or something.

Instead, I guess we just got the standard "If Diff = Hard, then HP=HPx10, Damage=Damagex10." that's the favorite way of implementing "difficulty levels" nowadays.

Creston

45. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 14:23 Creston

i've heard the 1.5 patch (that prepares for this dlc) already broke the game and mods for some users

True, but I wasn't really referring to technical issues as much as problems with changes from one mod being overwriten by another because of load order. If you leave the DLC where it's at, you have no control over which point in the load order it gets put.

Creston

44. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 14:04 Kxmode

Dear god man! You broke my steel! Shakefist  

43. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:57 spindoctor

This is also really the only way you're going to be able to get it to play nice with any other mods you've got, as otherwise Fallout determines on its own what your load order should be. (With all enjoyable consequences thereof.)

i've heard the 1.5 patch (that prepares for this dlc) already broke the game and mods for some users. nothing surprising there, every patch breaks the game for someone or the other. for me it was 1.4, and i deleted it after that.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

42. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:54 Verno

The DLC enemies are really tough. Sneak attack critical headshot on one of the Super Mutant Overlords barely dented his health. Some new ghoul attacked me and did nearly half my health despite wearing the best power armor in the game. It's fun that the game is challenging again.  

41. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:37 Creston

I pulled the DLC files out of C:\Users\Verno\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC by hand and used the Fallout Mod Manager(FOMM if you're googling) to extract the .bsa files. I dropped the .esm and .bsa files into the Fallout3\data directory, started the launcher and clicked Data Files, ticked off the DLC and voila.

This is also really the only way you're going to be able to get it to play nice with any other mods you've got, as otherwise Fallout determines on its own what your load order should be. (With all enjoyable consequences thereof.)

I hope that this DLC didn't change every encounter list, because it will break some awesome mods really badly if it did...

Creston

40. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:26 Dev

PiTiFUL:
I know you know this, but I'll restate it for others.

99.99% of the time DRM only inconveniances LEGITIMATE customers. I've seen the BSA/ESM files for the DLC stuff for download in various places, and it sounds like thats a hassle free way of playing the DLC. Too bad its not officially sanctioned.

39. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:25 Creston

I didn't realize it was available already, but these launches are getting pretty retarded. Does NOBODY at Bethesda or Microsoft put the fucking DLC on a test server, then try to see if it actually works in production conditions? (ie, downloading it through that piece of shit GFWL?)

I really want this, but I am aggravatingly opposed to buying Microsoft's equivalent of drink vouchers.

Creston

38. Re: Fallout 3 Broken Steel PC Broken May 5, 2009, 13:18 Verno

hows the cafeteria food at kindergarten today?

remember, dont miss naptime! you could get cranky

I like how you follow me around on this site, it's like having a follower in Fallout 3. I wonder if I could mod in my own space captain to the game. He would be a little punk who follows you around and tosses out high school insults. You could give him mentats in-game to make him smarter but his intelligence stat cannot be raised past 4 due to his inherent stupidity. I don't know, I think I've got something here!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo