Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Eurogamer - The End of Publishing.
The idea that publishers will become redundant in an age of digital distribution is a popular - and perhaps more notably, populist - one. Publishers are not, by their nature, attractive beasts. Where developers are seen as hives of creativity, the engines of creation which drive the gaming medium forward, publishers are easy to categorise as soulless creatures, faceless entities packed with accountants, marketers and executives. In a popularity contest between the suits and their spreadsheets, or the creative developers and their high concepts, there's no question as to whose side the public - and the media - will be on.

Ten Ton Hammer- IPs vs. Originality - Which is better?
By creating a game based on a popular IP, the company in question has a huge responsibility to "do it right." Unfortunately, not everyone realizes the reality of one little secret - every single fan out there has a different idea of what "right" is. For every fan that thinks Luke Skywalker was a raging bad ass, there's another fan that believes he was a whiny pansy (like he really was) in the Star Wars movies. There's no way to please everyone.

View
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

2. Re: Op Ed May 3, 2009, 01:08 Cutter

You pretty much said everything I would have, thanks Nucas. If and when digital distribution starts passing along these so-called savings, talk to me then. Once games stop being overpriced in-general, I'll start paying attention.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Op Ed May 2, 2009, 21:18 Nucas

isps have just started getting a taste of the increase of profit from instituting bandwidth caps, they're not going to stop just because we don't like it. what are we going to do? switch back to dialup in self-righteous protest? these claims that physical publishing's days are numbered are delusional even if isps suddenly decide they aren't in business to make money.

these arguments are always falsely polarized, anyway. developers keep more money. splendid. what about we consumers? steam charges just as much as a brick and mortar - often more - for it's releases. i can get boxed copies of games cheaper from any online distributor. one of the primary arguments i recall when steam was being launched was "without those evil, greedy publishers we can pass the savings on to you!"

taking any sides in this bullshit argument if you're not on somebody's payroll is kind of stupid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo