Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats

The Left 4 Dead on Steam Page announces the promised "Freaky Friday" event is now underway, offering 24 hours of free play in Left 4 Dead. They also announce a sale for this weekend offering the multiplayer zombie shooter for 40% off. Meanwhile, Steam has another new automatic update for Left 4 Dead that fixes some Survival mode issues and a couple of other bugs. Finally, the Left 4 Dead Blog describes the new game stats pages Left 4 Dead players can now access, allowing them to see statistical breakdowns of their play in various modes, and compare their success with other players.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 5, 2009, 13:56 Verno

You just replied to yourself I think. Either way Left 4 Dead sucks, go play a zombie map in Call of Duty 5 and see what how it's really done.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 4, 2009, 17:28 xXBatmanXx

50 bucks? Don't remember what I paid, but 70 hours in - who gives a shit!?

Do anything for less than $1.00 an hour you are wayyyyy ahead of the curve.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

49. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 4, 2009, 17:22 xXBatmanXx

I got to 9:18 on Hospital on my first bout with Survivor last night with Bat and two strangers. The room we were defending was quite effective until two tanks came in

That is the greatness I see in the game. How many people will notice you can use that room? Very few. People don't think outside the box when get pwn3d in 1 min and cry.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

48. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stat May 4, 2009, 17:20 xXBatmanXx

Pissing off any customer is generally not a good idea.

Especially one who buys a lot of hardware.

You mean, who's MOM buys him a lot of hardware.

47. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 23:27 Dades

The official servers have horrible pings compared to most of the third party dedicated servers. The unofficial servers come and go quickly because admins keep complaining to Valve about the quality of the dedicated server and Valve keeps ignoring them. The game needed the TF2 style of server browser, not this silly matchmaking crap.  

46. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 20:41 dubfanatic

The matchmaking needs improvement, but I have had no problems with the official servers in months. The only time I have server problems is when I end up on unofficial servers. One such server I joined had too few slots for versus, and the survivors were instantly demolished by about 40 AI Hunters. But, I usually end up on Valve's official servers and I have no problems with them. I suppose it helps that I'm about 30 miles from the server farm... I imagine I'd be telling a different story if I was in Europe or Aus/NZ.  

45. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 13:28 Verno

Forget the sale, just pirate it and play on a private server. You'll be getting the same gameplay experience as retail anyways - broken matchmaking, server problems and exploits.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

44. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 12:41 Thermopyle

lol twenty got pwnt and tried to lie his way out of it and got pwnt again!! roflcopter

anyways...

I've had a lot of fun with l4d i got it on sale a while back.

I did however become somewhat bored with it and moved on to other things, but I might revisit it now and check out the new mode... any comments on it ? (the new mode)

43. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 11:03 PHJF

I got to 9:18 on Hospital on my first bout with Survivor last night with Bat and two strangers. The room we were defending was quite effective until two tanks came in  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: L4D Event, Sale, Stats May 1, 2009, 08:21 StingingVelvet

I only play with friends anyway, so server problems never affected me I guess... I've never had a problem connecting with my buds when I wanted to.

This game was great for me when it came out... did the campaigns a few times each and then was waiting for mod campaigns, which should come eventually.

Then they released survivor mode, and I am HOOKED. I play almost everynight with some friends of mine looking to get as many medals as possible... shooting for all silver right now, then gold. It gets really insane after 4 minutes or so... none of us are exceptionally good, but we have some great runs.

This game isn't just worth $25, or $50, but probably $100+ for me.

41. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 07:21 Dades

Problem solved!

As an aside, I dislike the matchmaking UI consoles appear to need. I keep thinking a well tuned server browser would still work in a console....

Except that they broke the pc server browser for 2 months between patches and half the servers on the list can't be joined anyways. It's nowhere near a real functional server browser.

40. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 02:13 spindoctor

"bind f4 openserverbrowser"

Problem solved!

or you could just add the -serverbrowser parameter to the shortcut to get it in your menu.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

39. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 02:07 starmonkey

the fully-functional and standard PC client-server interface

"bind f4 openserverbrowser"

Problem solved!

As an aside, I dislike the matchmaking UI consoles appear to need. I keep thinking a well tuned server browser would still work in a console....

38. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 01:23 GT

It's like playing Serious Sam, but only with 1 level and just 4 enemy types.
And without the multitudes of bombastic weapons, the unique and larger-than-life enemies, the zany levels and atmosphere, the fully-functional and standard PC client-server interface, the real SDK with source code, and most importantly without the fun.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2009, 01:35.

37. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:56 spindoctor

the stats are severely messed up. playtime, games played/completed, total kills... everything is skewed. the only stats that look right are the survival mode ones.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

36. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:52 ViRGE

I have to say that while I feel I got my moneys worth out of L4D, it ultimately feels like Valve just keeps fumbling it. TF2 gets far better content updates and progressive patches. Left 4 Dead gets exploit fixes and rehashed stuff from the existing campaigns. Survival got one new map. One. The two added campaigns to Versus were already in the game.

I can't say Valve ripped me off, I played it more than enough to warrant the $59 CDN I paid for it. I think though I'll be moving onto different games now, Left 4 Dead is just ultimately boring. It feels like a WoW content patch, you get a lot of repetitive crap to keep you busy until the next expansion pack. I'll definitely be putting serious thought into things before my next Valve purchase, I feel pretty let down by the game. The constant issues with the matchmaker, the shitty dedicated server support and so on really dragged down the game.
That's pretty much my thoughts to. I'm glad I got it at a discount, because it just hasn't been a $40 game for me. Versus mode is completely uninteresting, and the SP stuff just isn't very replayable. As it is, everything is so samey - it's dark and you're likely to be eaten by a zombie. It's like playing Serious Sam, but only with 1 level and just 4 enemy types.

It desperately needs new SP campaigns, and something completely different from the last ones at that.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2009, 00:55.

35. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:47 theyarecomingforyou

Really? That sounds like a worthwhile fix and was one of the things I was complaining about. A quickmatch is any match with good playability. I don't want to know if it tries to connect to a server and can't - it should just try the next one. That's common sense and should have been implemented at launch, not 6 months down the line.

Oh, and:

Average damage to teammates: 34.00

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

34. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:35 Dev

Actually, this patch DID fix something very significant for me and I imagine a lot of people.

"Fixed a mismatch between lobbies and servers that will remove the Server is full" errors when quickmatching"

Now when I pick join game in progress (to avoid the other matchmaking crappness), I dont have to click it TWENTY FRICKEN TIMES (saying server is full, or human limit reached, or some other fricken weird msg) before it puts me in a game. Actually its much more than that since I usually like to specify no mercy and it doesn't remember my preference.
But now, I just click once. I've tried it a number of times and its only been once (except when it puts me into a lobby of a game that just finished instead of a game in progress lol).

I love L4D to death, its just the matchmaking I can't stand. And finally, finally, after almost 6 months, they have made a significant step towards making it better.

per map "Average damage to teammates: 37.00"
Hmm yeah, I think I need to work on lowering that stat lol. I think those times when I was fooling in single player with bots and shooting them down skewed that. Oh well.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2009, 00:44.

33. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:13 Twenty

Is it hard for you to understand that the more hardware sales they lose, the worse it is? Ask one of your fathers to explain that to you.

32. Re: Left 4 Dead Event, Sale, Patch, Stats May 1, 2009, 00:10 the_culture

Pissing off any customer is generally not a good idea.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo