Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Sports on PCs & Used Games

Edge Online quotes the quotable head of EA sports Peter Moore, who explains that the business model of shipping EA Sports games on physical discs for PCs "simply isn’t working." Taken from a full interview with Moore, the excerpt has indications that he thinks the future of EA sports games on PCs will rely on digital distribution: "And along the context of making the right choices with our resources and making sure that we’re delivering a return on investment for valuable employee time, I’ve got to find innovative ways to bring our content to life on the PC and online is the way that that’s going to happen." Chatty Mr. Moore is also quoted on GamesIndustry.biz saying that online is also key to his feeling that publishers have to find a way of taking advantage of used game sales and scads of money they generate.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games May 1, 2009, 02:15 Jerykk

GOG is more convenient than Steam except when it comes to automatic updates (of which GOG has none). Then again, GOG only sells old games so that's not a big issue. With GOG, I can download and install a game anywhere. With Steam, I have to install my games to the Steam directory which is problematic because my Steam drive is running out of space. You don't have to be online to play your GOG games, nor do you need to be running a third-party client. Downloading from GOG is much faster, as it always maxes out my bandwidth. With Steam, I usually get about 50-60% of my max speeds. GOG also gives you nifty bonuses like soundtracks, wallpapers, manuals, etc.

I really wish GOG had the same catalog as Steam, only without the DRM. That would be truly awesome. I'd buy all my games from GOG forever.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2009, 02:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games May 1, 2009, 00:49 GT

That allows me to navigate to a root directory, not to access the games themselves - not from one location.
From your reply I see that you do actually need computer training wheels. Explorer (explorer.exe) is the name of Windows' shell/interface which includes the Start Menu (where the program shortcuts are listed). So, yes, you certainly can access all of your GOG games and any other standard Windows games from it. You don't need a special client like Steam to provide a list of icons for your games when Windows' native shell (explorer) already does that. Vista even has the Games Explorer in addition to the Start Menu for it so you have two options to access your games if you have Vista.

Yes, and you have to do that for each game - it's time consuming and unnecessary. With Steam I bypass that.
No, you don't bypass it. With Steam you still have to install the game by adding it to your list of games if it is not already installed. That's no less work than double-clicking on an executable.

My point is I can get games up and running more quickly with Steam, dramatically more so after a reinstall of Windows.
But, you actually can't do it more quickly even after a format because Steam still has to verify the files or archive files of every game you have before they will function because the registry information which tells Steam the state of your games is not present on a new install, and that information is not stored remotely in your account. It has to be rebuilt locally. Clicking on a single executable from GOG, etc. to reinstall your games is no more time consuming and maybe less depending upon the speed of your Internet connection because Steam has to use it to verify your games. I agree that if you had to manually dig out physical discs to install your games it would probably take longer but not if you already have the installers sitting on a drive. In addition most games today don't need to be reinstalled to be played if you have the game files because they recreate the configuration files and registry settings they need when they are run if they are missing.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2009, 01:09.

29. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games May 1, 2009, 00:33 theyarecomingforyou

Yes, there is. It's called the Windows explorer.
That allows me to navigate to a root directory, not to access the games themselves - not from one location. I can get to my games through the command prompt as well but it's not desirable.

What?! With GOG you just download a single executable installer for the game and run it. It's no different than downloading a game demo from FileFront or wherever and installing it.
Yes, and you have to do that for each game - it's time consuming and unnecessary. With Steam I bypass that.

All that steam has apparently shriveled your brain.
Nope, it's just I prefer convenience. Plain and simple. Why would I choose a more involved method than I need to?

As for ScummVM, DOSBOX, etc., yes, if you install a really old game from GOG, you may have to manually configure its runtime environment. But, for native Windows games from GOG that is not applicable.
It handles it all when you use the installer - everything it automated - but if you try to navigate to the directory after a format then you come across such things.

My point is I can get games up and running more quickly with Steam, dramatically more so after a reinstall of Windows. I don't buy games for politics or tedious installers - I buy games for my enjoyment. Anything that makes the process less hassle I will support.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 20:18 GT

with GOG there's a) no central client to access all the games
Yes, there is. It's called the Windows explorer. All that steam has apparently shriveled your brain. Just press the Windows key and voila! You can access all of your games.

b) if I don't install them manually I find I have to mess about with things like ScummVM to get them working.
What?! With GOG you just download a single executable installer for the game and run it. It's no different than downloading a game demo from FileFront or wherever and installing it. That's as simple as it gets. If you find that difficult, you need training wheels for your computer. As for ScummVM, DOSBOX, etc., yes, if you install a really old game from GOG, you may have to manually configure its runtime environment. But, for native Windows games from GOG that is not applicable.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 20:29.

27. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 19:45 Kxmode

[With the PC platform] we’ve got to find the right business model for us going forward. We really want to keep sports an important part of the portfolio that’s available to PC gamers, but the business model right now, shipping a physical disc for the PC, simply isn’t working for us,” he said.

PC games are placed in the far back next to such items like potted plants and orange juice. Meanwhile console games are front and center the moment you walk in the door.

26. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 16:13 Jerykk

Mirror's Edge: Everybody knew it would be shit months before its release, and it at least did not disappoint in that respect.

I liked Mirror's Edge and thought it would be pretty cool months before its release.

25. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 16:12 Krovven

but to say it's a game worth purchasing for $50, no.

Was it worth $30? Cus when it was released it was $30 (and still is). Most people that bought it would know this. Hell I didn't buy it and I know this. Seeing as you claim to have played it and dont know how much it was, I'm guessing you pirated it and are now bitching about the price, which you never payed in the first place.

Spore? I don't think I need to say anything more about that one.

DRM arguments aside...I think you do need to say more about that one. It sold millions, millions love it. Not my cup of tea, but you're using it to back up your argument, but not saying what relevance it has to that argument.

I hate EA, but I'm not going to sit here and try and tell you or anyone else that they haven't released a (must-have) game worth playing in years. There are quite a few. Buggy? Sure. DRM issues? Yup. Some craptastic games? Uhh huh. Shady business practices? Hell ya. But, do they have some fun games across multiple genres/platforms that nobody expects 'everyone' to like? Absolutely.

24. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:56 Verno

I agree with you about Left 4 Dead, I think it's a good game with a ton of potential that has been very poorly supported by Valve.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

23. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:50 everyone

The core game itself is the same on PC and 360. I'm not necessarily referring to the technical operation of the game on the two systems. I mean the game itself is repetitive and, once you've played it, you've played all of it. It's a spamfest and that's about it. If the game had more longevity, it would have not been such a disappointment. I think that EA's pressure might have had something to do with that so that the game could be released simultaneously on the 360 and PC, but that's just pure speculation. I even have friends who, though they like the game, they don't see it as being worth more than maybe $15 for the amount of play you get out of it. After that, it wears pretty thin. The free weekend coming up for it on Steam might help more people get into it, but that doesn't fix its replayability issues.  

22. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:43 Verno

L4D is fine on the 360, at least the matchmaking is a lot more functional and pings are fine unlike the PC side of things with this nonsense about random dedicated servers and shit.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 15:43.

21. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:25 Thermopyle

l4d = "overhyped piece of play-it-once-throw-it-away software" ?

Really ? Meh, you just lost any amount of credibility you had with me... not that you care.

I'm guessing EA had some sort of distro on the console side of it ? L4D sucks balls on a console... but it owns on the pc.

20. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:15 Verno

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You just didn't say any of that in your original post. I think the old EA was much more the big soulless corporate entity you accuse them to be. They took quite a few risks this year on new IP and have still more in development. I'll take the new EA any day compared to years of nothing but sequels.  

19. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 15:08 everyone

You're an idiot for making a blanket statement that all EA games are universally bad when that isn't the case. Where was your reasoning and logic? You ask others to back up their thoughts but don't do so yourself. This year I played Dead Space, NHL 2009(360), C&C3, Crysis Warhead and Rock Band 2.

'Few to no' means there are SOME, but most are shit. Dead Space was one exception. It was pretty fun. It had its fair share of drawbacks, but it was decent enough. Crysis Warhead was okay, but it was still not really that much of a game. Much moreso than the original Crysis for sure, but to say it's a game worth purchasing for $50, no. I don't really play sports games because they don't really appeal to me. And I was mostly referring to PC releases anyway. Left4Dead was a totally overhyped piece of play-it-once-throw-it-away software. Burnout Paradise was fun but extremely arcadey and it had some issues. If you want an arcade racer, it's great. Mirror's Edge: Everybody knew it would be shit months before its release, and it at least did not disappoint in that respect. The Godfather II was a total letdown. Spore? I don't think I need to say anything more about that one. NFS:U: Shit.

I'm just saying, as a huge colossal corporate entity, EA doesn't do too badly. They buy up all the decent developers and ruin them so they don't have any competition. As a company in the business of gaming, they really don't see much beyond the "business" aspect of their company, and that's really quite disappointing.

18. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 14:54 Verno

i'm not sure why you would want to change cd keys for a game? and which other service gives you the option to do so that you find it lacking in blizzard's?

You'd want to change cdkeys because they have a digital installation routine for some of their games where the cdkeys used in retail were incompatible but were still registered permanently to the game in your store account and couldn't be changed. I know because I ran into exactly this situation and Blizzard support was useless.

As a digital distribution service it's the worst since it only offers Blizzard titles, something you gloss over. It's the best digital distribution system for blizzard titles but not really anything else.

now i admit, since they only have 6 odd games to take care of it's easier than steam for example which has 500 but the fact remains, it is the best.

Nope, it has a simple and elegant interface but that doesn't make it the best. You can't compare digital distribution services by saying you like one thing it does but ignore everything else others offer. As a file download service I would agree it is good at letting you download your games quickly and easily.

And I'm sure glad that guy down there thinks I'm "an idiot," and has such solid arguments to back up his reasoning. Sounds like fanboy talk to me. There have been few to no games distributed by EA that were must-have titles in the last few years. But I'm an idiot for pointing that out. Okay. Thank you for so clearly articulating your thoughts for all of us to ponder.

You're an idiot for making a blanket statement that all EA games are universally bad when that isn't the case. Where was your reasoning and logic? You ask others to back up their thoughts but don't do so yourself. This year I played Dead Space, NHL 2009(360), C&C3, Crysis Warhead and Rock Band 2.

EA makes their fair share of stinkers for sure but their titles are not universal crap. A person isn't a fanboy for liking some titles a publisher makes. Oh geez I liked Sins of a Solar Empire, guess I'm a Stardock fanboi!!!

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 15:01.

17. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 14:31 everyone

Steam has over 1300 titles actually, according to the steam store. edit - Sorry there are 1331 total, but only 641 that are not free. I stand corrected.

And I'm sure glad that guy down there thinks I'm "an idiot," and has such solid arguments to back up his reasoning. Sounds like fanboy talk to me. There have been few to no games distributed by EA that were must-have titles in the last few years. But I'm an idiot for pointing that out. Okay. Thank you for so clearly articulating your thoughts for all of us to ponder.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 14:37.

16. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 14:16 spindoctor

haha what? It's simple and elegant but you can't even change cdkeys for your games on it. Quite a few of Blizzard's own titles haven't been available in the online until like two weeks ago. Warcraft 3 for instance was available but Frozen Throne was not. You could register a retail Frozen Throne key but using the digital installer from their site would reject it. Blizzard support was useless in this case. I have no clue if they have fixed this as I threw my hands up and decided to revisit it later.

Plus it is just a store and offers no way to tie your friends together between the various games.

i'm not sure why you would want to change cd keys for a game? and which other service gives you the option to do so that you find it lacking in blizzard's?

i managed to register all my keys just fine. the online store has carried all the games that you can register on it for a long time now. i'm aware that some features were implemented late for non-american accounts but that hardly qualifies as a negative against the distribution service. they just setup battle.net 2.0 a few weeks ago.

and the option of 'tying your friends together' doesn't really have much to do with 'digital distribution'. those are community features. i'm talking about the distribution/delivery system only.

the features that make blizzard so good are that they allow you to enter (upto 10 year) old cd keys and then the game is associated with your account permanently. download as many times as you want, anywhere you want, no client that needs to be running, no activation and drm bullshit, install and play the game freely. no other service does all this together. now i admit, since they only have 6 odd games to take care of it's easier than steam for example which has 500 but the fact remains, it is the best.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

15. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 13:50 Verno

EA doesn't get it. Nobody buys their games because they fucking suck. If they stopped pressuring devs to get games finished in half the time it should take, maybe there would be more quality releases. Instead, they just ruin what could have been a great thing. Die in a fire, EA. The gaming industry will much better off without you.

You're an idiot, EA has released plenty of quality titles in the past few years. The issue is not that people don't want to play their games.

14. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 13:30 Ginny

Ea produce nhl/madden titles on par with the current generation of console titles for the pc, i WILL buy.

Allways used to, would do so again.

Ofc we know what he's realy talking about with digial distro, crap psn/xboxlive titles with naff all development costs that shift $5 or $10 in the blink of eye one after another like they do on the consoles.

His problem.. he doesn't have a stable oneshop platform on the pc that everybody is forced to go visit:o

13. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 13:03 StaTik

Sorry they can digital distribute games until they are blue in the face they are not going to sell games until they lower prices. The days of fat cat 5/6 slightly improved sports games a year for $50 a pop is over. Only the most hard core fan base can support that kind of model. The economy will not allow most gamers to put out that kind of investment for any game. EA seems to be the only company that dose not get that.  

12. Re: EA Sports on PCs & Used Games Apr 30, 2009, 12:58 everyone

EA doesn't get it. Nobody buys their games because they fucking suck. If they stopped pressuring devs to get games finished in half the time it should take, maybe there would be more quality releases. Instead, they just ruin what could have been a great thing. Die in a fire, EA. The gaming industry will much better off without you.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo