Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses

Gamestop's Dragon Age: Origins Page is now accepting preorders for Dragon Age: Origins, BioWare's upcoming RPG (thanks Mike Martinez and DarkZero). The preorder bonuses they offer sound like they could have a fairly noticeable impact on gameplay:

Reserve Dragon Age Origins and receive:

• The Memory Ring - An in-game item that allows your character to accumulate experience points at an accelerated rate and therefore level up more efficiently.
    • The Memory Band - Made by the Formari, these lyrium-infused rings are supposed to help apprentices retain their lessons.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses May 1, 2009, 02:25 Jerykk

Meh. It's a single player game, so whether someone uses a ring that gives more xp (and let's be serious here, it's going to give like 5% extra XP or something. So it'll let those players level up a tiny smidge faster than everyone else.

Well, we don't really know how much extra XP it'll give. It could be 5%, 10%, 15% or even 20%. There's also the other item. I'm not exactly sure what it does but it's probably unbalanced.

How does that affect YOUR enjoyment of the game?

It doesn't. I simply disagree with the act of bribing customers with unbalanced pre-order items. Just because something doesn't directly affect you doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it.

Besides, unbalanced would be giving them a weapon or an armor that you could normally only get in the last part of the game, thereby making every battle up until that point a breeze.

Faster leveling means you improve your character more quickly, making challenges easier than they would be if you were at a lower level. Depending on how much extra XP it gives, the item would also have a significant impact on the higher levels where leveling gets exponentially harder. So, someone who pre-ordered the game might be able to max out at level 30 while a person who didn't can only max out at 25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 20:44 Yifes

I think every single Bioware RPG (on the PC anyways) had "special vendors" or "special items" for limited editions / pre-orders etc, and they were always very easy to access for the rest of the crowd, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Robes of Venca in BG2 from the special vendor? man that broke the game.

25. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 12:50  CrushBug 

So are ya limited to just Dragon Age, or ya working on any other products say any more DLC for Mass Effect?
Heya Half. I am full time on Dragon Age. The Mass Effect team is running the show for ME1 DLC and obviously, ME2 development.
What's that book called?
Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

24. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 10:33 Creston

I have completed the book and really enjoyed it. The timeframe of the novel is before the events of the game. I found that after reading it, it laid a nice foundation for my next new game. I actually recommend reading the book quite strongly.

What's that book called? I enjoyed the Mass Effect novel, so I'll probably pick this one up.

Creston

23. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 10:31 Creston

That's not the issue here. The issue is that they're giving players such unbalanced items right off the bat

Meh. It's a single player game, so whether someone uses a ring that gives more xp (and let's be serious here, it's going to give like 5% extra XP or something. So it'll let those players level up a tiny smidge faster than everyone else. By the time that 5% really starts making a difference, you'll be at the end of the game anyways,) or uses a cheat/console code, what's the difference? How does that affect YOUR enjoyment of the game? My last playthrough of NWN2, I used the console to turn my character into a flipping dragon, and waltzed through everything. Did that make a difference to the last time YOU played NWN2?

Besides, unbalanced would be giving them a weapon or an armor that you could normally only get in the last part of the game, thereby making every battle up until that point a breeze. A little more XP won't really have that much of an effect.

Creston

22. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 02:54 The Half Elf

DEREK!

How goes things?

So are ya limited to just Dragon Age, or ya working on any other products say any more DLC for Mass Effect?

Also ya got your hands into KOTOR Online... er The Old Republic? If ya have any influence at all and want some quality testers for it, you know how us Blues'ians are and how we love to give feedback. HINT HINT

And yes to get into TOR Alpha/Beta I would have your love babies.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 02:52 Jerykk

I also feel, as a 20-odd year DM, that level capping isn't necessary to finish a main adventure, so long as the PCs are powerful enough to defeat the main character.

That was a problem with KOTOR. If you developed your character to fill a support role, you didn't stand a chance against Malak because you had to fight him alone.

20. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 02:08  CrushBug 

I'll sadly avoid it I think, as a general matter of course, the world I build up between the source material (the game in this case) and my imagination for everything that is "off camera" as it were never is lived up to in the setting fiction.
I have completed the book and really enjoyed it. The timeframe of the novel is before the events of the game. I found that after reading it, it laid a nice foundation for my next new game. I actually recommend reading the book quite strongly.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 01:57 Flatline

Anyway, balancing is not that important in a singleplayer game anyway.

I'm going to go with "What are you smoking?" for 500 Alex.

Especially in an RPG, balance is *everything*.

Look at Fallout 3. I level capped 1/4 through that game, and spent the next 40 hours max'd out, only getting slightly better equipment as time went on. Totally not fun.

And Crush, please, PLEASE, I know it's too late in the dev cycle now, and Mass Effect didn't have this problem, but in the future don't let us level cap by going straight through the main adventure. I actually *enjoy* discovering side quests, and have always been of the opinion that level cap, if it is there, should only really be achievable by exploring the majority of the content of the game. I also feel, as a 20-odd year DM, that level capping isn't necessary to finish a main adventure, so long as the PCs are powerful enough to defeat the main character.

Other than that, I'm intrigued with the title, and am avoiding over-exposure to it so I can enjoy it. I'm kind of perplexed too that there's already fiction in the setting that's been published (I saw it yesterday in the book store in fact), so far in advance of the game's release. I'll sadly avoid it I think, as a general matter of course, the world I build up between the source material (the game in this case) and my imagination for everything that is "off camera" as it were never is lived up to in the setting fiction.

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 00:44 Cutter

Die please

You first, and that's not a request, jackass.

Anyway, seeing as the PC game has an editor these items are solely intended for the console kids, as you could make your own. So it's not really much of a bonus, is it? 8 month delay, no real bonus to speak of, and I'll bet the DRM announcement will only further fuel the bonfire. Oh yeah, EA and Bioware sure are on the side of PC gamers, lol! It's only because this game has been in development so long that it won't totally reek of consolitis, but after that Bioware is done with the PC except as an afterthought in hopes they may squeeze out a few more sales of poorly ported, entirely designed for cosole style games.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 00:00 Jerykk

Anyway, balancing is not that important in a singleplayer game anyway.

Disagreed entirely. Balance matters in all games. Bethesda's games would be significantly better if they knew how to balance anything. There were so many times throughout Oblivion and FO3 where I seriously questioned whether or not they performed any playtesting.

I think every single Bioware RPG (on the PC anyways) had "special vendors" or "special items" for limited editions / pre-orders etc, and they were always very easy to access for the rest of the crowd, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that they're giving players such unbalanced items right off the bat. All RPGs have overpowered items but they are usually very rare and hard to find or get.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2009, 00:02.

16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 23:48 Creston

Most likely you download a single file, put it in a folder and voila.

Creston

15. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 23:03 theyarecomingforyou

Yes, this is an unfortunate business issue between Valve and EA that I hope can be worked out in the future.
As do I. What's most annoying about the situation is that we haven't been informed as to what the problem is. For instance, it was annoying seeing BattleForge pop-up in the Steam notifications but not being able to buy it.

We haven't announced what we are doing with regards to this for Dragon Age yet, but we should have something publicly to say in the next month or two.
My general rule is that a) I don't buy any games with limited activations, and b) I buy my games on Steam (so after a format I can have all my games running within minutes by storing them on a separate drive). So unfortunately I really need the Steam situation to be sorted before I even consider it. I know that's not great to hear as a developer but really EA should have sorted the issues out long ago - people are very annoyed about it. As I said, if it wasn't for that I'd happily buy your games.

I wish you all the best anyway.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 22:28 space captain

hey there im a technical producer on this stuff

alot of people have generated some unquestionable lust for dragon age's abject failure and resulting possible constituent economic servitude

seems like time well spent

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 22:24 Prez

Die please.

At least he asked nicely.

Anyway, balancing is not that important in a singleplayer game anyway. At least until AI advances to the point that the NPC's are smart enough to complain from in-game about it not being fair how quickly the player is leveling.

EDIT: And Crush, welcome back to Bluesnews! You are a braver man than I would be were I a developer. I wouldn't come within a virtual mile of this place!

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 22:27.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 22:24  CrushBug 

I can't buy either here on Steam (EA games aren't available in the UK)
Yes, this is an unfortunate business issue between Valve and EA that I hope can be worked out in the future.
their retail games are bogged down with draconian DRM
We haven't announced what we are doing with regards to this for Dragon Age yet, but we should have something publicly to say in the next month or two.

Thanks for expanding on your comment for more clarity. I can pass that on to the Powers That Be.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 22:10 theyarecomingforyou

They are the publisher of Dragon Age: Origins as well as Mass Effect for the PC. It is important the remember that the game has been in development for quite some time.
And? I can't buy either here on Steam (EA games aren't available in the UK) and their retail games are bogged down with draconian DRM (not that I can be bothered with the hassle of retail games anyway). I wasn't passing any comment on the quality of the game itself. I just wish EA would sort its bloody act out.

If Mass Effect was available on Steam here in the UK I would have bought it already. It Dragon Age: Origins was available I'd strongly consider it as well.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 22:02  CrushBug 

Sorry Mr. French but these items SUCK!

Mr. French is my dad; no need for that level of formality

There is always a precarious balance between retailer's requirements for unique items and the feelings of the rest of the customers who may not have access to them. One the one hand, you want something interesting, on the other you don't want it to be too interesting. Its a tough line to walk.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

9. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 21:47 Techie714 ©

Sorry Mr. French but these items SUCK!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 29, 2009, 21:21  CrushBug 

Anyways does anyone if theres gonna be a demo?

No demo planned at this time. That could always change.

EA?

They are the publisher of Dragon Age: Origins as well as Mass Effect for the PC. It is important the remember that the game has been in development for quite some time.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo