Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic & Word Filters

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums continue to hash out issues related to threads and posts that have been deleted relating to terms that will be censored in the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. At one point there were indications that terms related to gay and lesbian lifestyles were to be forbidden, though this policy has already been changed based on the ensuing outcry. Thanks Kotaku. There is an editorial on this topic on GameBizBlog discussing this dust-up and issues related to word filters in general.

View
11. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 00:12 Nucas

As said below, the only purpose those words have in an MMO or on a gaming forum is insults and improper discussion. My sexuality has no place being broadcast on there, gay or straight.
that's nonsense. thinking that discourse in an mmo is limited to it's fictional subject matter is ludicrous. the nature of conversation doesn't change just because you're playing a video game, discussion can and does go in any direction. i'm probably going to be playing this game with my friends at launch and don't expect our ingame discourse to be limited to "dude who would win mace windu or darth malak". i'm of the opinion that less limitations is generally better than more.

people here are giving ridiculous extreme examples to try and justify banning benign terms like every homo on earth is going to join and act like the grand marshal of a gay pride parade. have you ever logged into an mmo and read "sup, i'm gay btw"?

let's also make sure no one says "black" or "african-american". you shouldn't be broadcasting your race in a game. bringing it up at all means you're just asking for trouble/insulting someone. if you think this scenario is different, please ask yourself why.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Apr 28, 14:04 Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters theyarecomingforyou
  2. Apr 28, 15:43  Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Techie714
  3. Apr 28, 17:07 Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters PropheT
  4. Apr 28, 17:32 Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters theyarecomingforyou
  5. Apr 28, 17:39  Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Ataneruo
  6. Apr 28, 17:52  Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters StingingVelvet
  7. Apr 28, 21:08   Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Nucas
  9. Apr 28, 22:51    Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters StingingVelvet
  10. Apr 28, 23:03     Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Jerykk
>> 11. Apr 29, 00:12     Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Nucas