Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic & Word Filters

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums continue to hash out issues related to threads and posts that have been deleted relating to terms that will be censored in the upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. At one point there were indications that terms related to gay and lesbian lifestyles were to be forbidden, though this policy has already been changed based on the ensuing outcry. Thanks Kotaku. There is an editorial on this topic on GameBizBlog discussing this dust-up and issues related to word filters in general.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 14:06 nin

why isn't the word "straight" or "hetero" censored then?

either it's all OK, or none of it is OK

From just skimming the thread, I believe that was one example used - "gay" and "lesbian" were being removed, but "hetrosexual" was perfectly fine...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 12:57 VoodooV

If discussions of sex have no place in an MMO, why are they stopping with just gay and lesbian then? why isn't the word "straight" or "hetero" censored then?

either it's all OK, or none of it is OK

For every one idiot who uses G/L terminology in a hateful manner, there are a 100 who don't. Why are we catering to that one idiot?

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 13:00.

12. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 07:21 theyarecomingforyou

that's nonsense. thinking that discourse in an mmo is limited to it's fictional subject matter is ludicrous. the nature of conversation doesn't change just because you're playing a video game, discussion can and does go in any direction. i'm probably going to be playing this game with my friends at launch and don't expect our ingame discourse to be limited to "dude who would win mace windu or darth malak". i'm of the opinion that less limitations is generally better than more.
Exactly.

As said below, the only purpose those words have in an MMO or on a gaming forum is insults and improper discussion.
That is patently absurd. Everything gets discussed in an MMO because people form communities. It isn't like a team deathmatch game where you only meet people briefly and then aren't likely to see them again. Can you not see the offence created by banning a subject that is such an important aspect in people's lives?

let's also make sure no one says "black" or "african-american". you shouldn't be broadcasting your race in a game. bringing it up at all means you're just asking for trouble/insulting someone. if you think this scenario is different, please ask yourself why.
Exactly. Terms like "African American" and "gay" don't have to be abusive and there is a high likelihood that people would want to talk about such things with the communities they form - it's not like joining a Left 4 Dead server and saying "sup, I'm gay - any takers?". Banning discussion of a subject to close to many people's hearts - afterall, gay people have likely been subjective to much persecution and criticism - could easily be quite offensive. Personally I'm a musician so would probably talk about pop music and composition - subjects that would be considered fine - but that would be allowed and yet sexual preference wouldn't? They're equally off topic.

Again, harassment shouldn't be tolerated but you shouldn't go banning terms related to entire demographics. This was an unbelievably short-sighted move. And no I'm not gay but I don't have to be to see it was a stupid idea.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 00:12 Nucas

As said below, the only purpose those words have in an MMO or on a gaming forum is insults and improper discussion. My sexuality has no place being broadcast on there, gay or straight.
that's nonsense. thinking that discourse in an mmo is limited to it's fictional subject matter is ludicrous. the nature of conversation doesn't change just because you're playing a video game, discussion can and does go in any direction. i'm probably going to be playing this game with my friends at launch and don't expect our ingame discourse to be limited to "dude who would win mace windu or darth malak". i'm of the opinion that less limitations is generally better than more.

people here are giving ridiculous extreme examples to try and justify banning benign terms like every homo on earth is going to join and act like the grand marshal of a gay pride parade. have you ever logged into an mmo and read "sup, i'm gay btw"?

let's also make sure no one says "black" or "african-american". you shouldn't be broadcasting your race in a game. bringing it up at all means you're just asking for trouble/insulting someone. if you think this scenario is different, please ask yourself why.

10. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 23:03 Jerykk

As said below, the only purpose those words have in an MMO or on a gaming forum is insults and improper discussion. My sexuality has no place being broadcast on there, gay or straight.

You are aware that the thread that was closed was a discussion about the sexuality of Star Wars characters, right? There was nothing insulting or derogatory about it, it was just a discussion where people shared their ideas and opinions. You may be offended by the topic but that doesn't mean it is unwarranted. You can say that discussing sexuality is completely unnecessary but the same could be said for everything discussed in forums.

9. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 22:51 StingingVelvet

also, i have to assume gay people take issue with the words being censored in the first place because it futher marginalizes them, placing the lables for their lifestyle in the same "FORBIDDEN TERMS" catagory as "shit fuck balls" which doesn't make any sense. gay people exist. it really is ridiculous that someone thought censoring those words out was at all appropriate.

Why do we need to talk about who's gay and who isn't in an MMO? Is there a need for me to go "what's up dudes? I'm straight by the way."

It's just inappropriate, no matter the leaning. This society is too PC and eager to avoid any hint of bigotry to see that though... Kotaku reported that they reversed the decision, unlocked the threads and took the words off the censor today... yay for idiocy.

8. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 21:27 Proudfoot

I wouldn't talk about all my sexual adventures in an MMO, and neither should a homosexual.

This sums it up. There is no reason to have the words 'gay' and 'lesbian' in the database for Star Wars. The only uses they'd have to the MMO population is to use as insults, which is exactly why Bioware wanted to sensor them.

Having the conversation of something like "Hey I'm gay, that cool with you?" Why the hell would that be important in a computer game??

Grow up people.

7. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 21:08 Nucas

it's called being overly sensitive and politically correct, and it does no one any good
that's kind of how i view word censorship in the first place. i would rather just be called a fuckhead than have to read global chatlogs filled with "u @$$h0l3. f|_|kc u"

also, i have to assume gay people take issue with the words being censored in the first place because it futher marginalizes them, placing the lables for their lifestyle in the same "FORBIDDEN TERMS" catagory as "shit fuck balls" which doesn't make any sense. gay people exist. it really is ridiculous that someone thought censoring those words out was at all appropriate.

6. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 17:52 StingingVelvet

Basically, yes. By doing otherwise they are effectively condemning an entire demographic that has already seen widespread persecution. Obviously harassment should be tackled but that shouldn't be done by mass filters, particularly not over an issue like sexuality. This is an MMO we're talking about, where people chat a lot, form close communities and even have virtual marriages - so whereas talking about sexuality in Team Fortress 2 is unnecessary and inappropriate it's not for an MMO.

If you can't see the mistake in their actions then I think that's very sad.

It's only being framed in this light because you're forcing it though... it's called being overly sensitive and politically correct, and it does no one any good, it just annoys people or gets them riled up.

No one is being persecuted... no one is being bashed... it's a simple "this is a Star Wars game and gay/straight doesn't enter into it" fact. There is no anti-gay behavior in the game, which I would find offensive, there is only the lack of gay sexual subject matter, which is not bigotry. You're opinion is why we have token gay and black characters shoved into fiction, which I find more offensive than the lack of them.

The gay community needs to realize that 90% of straight people just don't give a damn who they're fucking and don't want to hear about it. It's not bigotry, it's just things have a time and a place... I wouldn't talk about all my sexual adventures in an MMO, and neither should a homosexual.

5. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 17:39 Ataneruo

Every time a director/writer/company includes content in their work that many people find objectionable, everyone screams "if you don't like it then don't watch/read/play/buy it!!" So if you don't like if a company excludes certain content in a game I have some advice for you: if you don't like it then don't buy it.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 17:32 theyarecomingforyou

Is it really that important to discuss gays and lesbians in their game that an uproar over it justified
Basically, yes. By doing otherwise they are effectively condemning an entire demographic that has already seen widespread persecution. Obviously harassment should be tackled but that shouldn't be done by mass filters, particularly not over an issue like sexuality. This is an MMO we're talking about, where people chat a lot, form close communities and even have virtual marriages - so whereas talking about sexuality in Team Fortress 2 is unnecessary and inappropriate it's not for an MMO.

If you can't see the mistake in their actions then I think that's very sad.

3. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 17:07 PropheT

It's sad that they only figured out their mistake after a huge outcry.

What mistake? Trying to remove things that are either used as insults by the population that'll be in their game, or even if used normally would typically just start chat channel flamewars? Is it really that important to discuss gays and lesbians in their game that an uproar over it justified, or are people just outraged because they don't have anything better to do?

2. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 15:43 Techie714

Damn it I want a badass MMO set in a hardcore post apocalyptic world like Mad Max, I want LOUD percussion rock music in the bars, I want to be able to rent a hooker, not pay & kick her to the curb only to have her pimp hunt my ass down for payback, I want rusted old guns from another time like in the wild west, I want to craft my own weapons out of bones & metal! I want scarce resources, backstabbing, loud engines, grease & oil. I want to sit in front of my LCD fall into this world & hear myself in pure fear & excitment yell out OH SHIT!!! THESE are the things I WANT in my MMO & I'll gladly pay!

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 15:46.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 28, 2009, 14:04 theyarecomingforyou

It's sad that they only figured out their mistake after a huge outcry.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo