Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis

Aspyr announces Cryostasis is now available in North American stores and via digital distribution, offering a frosty first-person shooter set in the Arctic. Here's the announcement, which includes word that Aspyr is publishing this and four other 1C Company games (Men of War, Death Track: Resurrection, NecroVisioN, and 4X4 Hummer) without any digital rights management:

Austin, Texas- April 28, 2009 - Aspyr Media, under license from leading Eastern and Central European publisher 1C Company, announced today that Cryostasis for PC is now available at North American retail outlets and via digital download at www.gameagent.com. Cryostasis brings its unique brand of icy terror to North American gamers without the use of DRM software. The first five titles published by Aspyr under license from 1C in North America - Men of War, Death Track: Resurrection, Cryostasis, Necrovision, and 4X4 Hummer - will all be DRM-free.

Cryostasis brings gamers to the Arctic Circle, Russian North Pole station "Pole 21" in 1981. They take on the role of Alexander Nesterov, a meteorologist caught inside the "North Wind," an old nuclear ice-breaker, frozen in the ice many years ago. This steel beast once fought for its country, but it fell into an ice trap as did every living thing onboard. Alex will fight the cold and what lives within as he tries to find out what happened. Cryostasis is a drama about a ship and her crew evolving in an atmosphere of ice and animal fear.

Cryostasis is available for PC for the suggested retail price of $29.99 and is rated 'T' for Teen by the ESRB. For more on the game, please visit www.cryostasis-game.com.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 30, 2009, 12:02 Verno

Demo wasn't terribly impressive. A few crashes and odd performance hiccups. Game gets a pass from me.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 29, 2009, 06:33 Shadowcat

I don't know if it's a "buy", but no DRM == instant interest. I've certainly passed on several games I would otherwise have bought because of the DRM that was implemented.

I can handle iffy performance to access a really good atmosphere, so I'm not put off yet. It sounds like it's lacking in a few areas, but if we're talking "flawed gem", then I'm definitely curious. Time to read some reviews, I guess...

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 19:23 Vomulus

I give the game one thing..it's f*cking hard! I actually quit playing it because I'm stuck on a part that's so hard it made me quit trying. Atmospherically it gives you an uneasy feeling and things move along kind of slow but it's very tense and get's intense, graphics are good but but maxing them out caused some considerable slowdown on my 9800 GT and Phenom Quadcore. The game is good enough I want to go back and finish it. BTW, I have the European version that was released a few months ago.  

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 17:10 Z9000

@Verno - Who's saying I am buying bad games? I do not lower my expectations remember? Now this game Cryostasis, yeah probably a pass...

I got Men of War from Aspyr which was an excellent buy. I have played Soldiers and this is more of the same in better detail which is good to me.

Really choosing not to buy something isn't painful. There is so much other stuff out there that you can play forever and not miss much of anything. I can't think of more than 3 games I might have been interested in but I passed on due to DRM in the last couple of months. DoW 2, Total War series (glad I skipped them both from the reports) and PC version of TLR (which I have on Xbox so really it's not a big deal).

I have Demigod which is a good game. Light DRM is good enough for Stardock, the rest of the industry needs to wake up.

I didn't hop on any bandwagon, I decided not to buy any DRM laden game at all shortly after the first of the year.

This isn't judging how good or bad a game is. This isn't buying a game because it's good or bad. This is intelligently telling someone to take their bad deal and shove it. If you want to rent games, go for it, don't expect others to.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 17:12.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 16:06 StingingVelvet

Not to be a bitch or anything, but I'm not sure no DRM makes up for it being so heavily reliant on DirectX 10 (not required, but most of the graphical pizazz is geared towards it), with so many optimizations only for Nvidia cards, and being a pig of a game that most systems below 'uber' level will choke on. That's like marketing for a niche of a niche of a niche market, isn't it?

I took a screenshot in DX10 and DX9 in the same spot and couldn't tell the difference.

Great game by the way, but don't expect it to be a shooter... it's a slow, methodical survival horror game in first-person with an amazing sense of atmosphere.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 15:32 Verno

Buying bad games is buying bad games, DRM or not. There is nothing intelligent about bandwagoning stupid behavior. Buying games sight unseen just because they don't have DRM is just as dumb as DRM itself. Games should be judged on their quality and not their copy protection. It's fine to say "this is a good game but I avoided a purchase because I hate SecuRom". It's really stupid to say "I will be buying it because it doesn't have SecuRom". But hey, it's their money to waste.  

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 14:41 Z9000

@Verno - Well you are of course entitled to your opinion. But those not giving money to DRM abusers are taking a bite out of their profits, that is indeed being a "wolf".

Buying any game is pretty much being stupid with money, so in a way, buying less DRM laden games, makes people watching their wallet less stupid with their money...

Enough people not buying in to marketing ideas is what has changed every single product and marketing standard since the beginning of time. Everything you buy is voting with your dollar. The fact I am starting to see people to tear down the idea of not buying DRM laden games only tells me it is having an impact and will continue to do so.

I don't lower my expectations for anything. I have 30 years of games that I can easily go back and play at any time and not worry about anything new and I intend to continue to be able to do that with any new purchase. If you and others want to put a middle man with a kill switch on your purchase, that's your own foolishness.

I have Demigod, Men of War as recent titles as well as 30+ PS3/Xbox games since the beginning of the year, that's plenty.

To each his own.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 14:43.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 13:51 Caveman

I played the leak version way back when and it's pretty boring and repetitive. It just didn't keep me interested.  

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 13:25 Creston

Commendable. It's just sad that Cryostasis has been getting very lackluster reviews and doesn't appear to be a game worth playing.

I'm sure that the (likely) corresponding lack of sales will be blamed on pirates, and DRM will be implemented again in the future. After all, poor game + DRM = SALES!!!!

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 13:26.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 13:14 Verno

People who only buy games that are DRM free aren't the sheep, they are the wolves. The sheep buy anything no matter what.

I can't view people being stupid with their money as wolves personally.

I think it's quite hilarious that the people here lowering their expectations and considering a purchase for this mediocre-reviewed game just because of a lack of DRM are mostly the same people who will rant and rave for hundreds of posts on a Blue's News thread when console gamers in even the most minor of ways might lower their expectations for a mainstream game.

Not surprising for this place, of course, just a bit hilarious

Well said.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 13:14.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 13:03 Z9000

People who only buy games that are DRM free aren't the sheep, they are the wolves. The sheep buy anything no matter what.

As for the game kinda iffy. It has that thing Crysis had where you run from heat source to heat source to keep your warmth gauge maxed.

As for Aspyr, I have gotten a few games from them lately and as long as they keep delivering the quality goods DRM free, I will most likely buy.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 12:58 elefunk

I think it's quite hilarious that the people here lowering their expectations and considering a purchase for this mediocre-reviewed game just because of a lack of DRM are mostly the same people who will rant and rave for hundreds of posts on a Blue's News thread when console gamers in even the most minor of ways might lower their expectations for a mainstream game.

Not surprising for this place, of course, just a bit hilarious

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 13:00.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 12:33 Prez

Not to be a bitch or anything, but I'm not sure no DRM makes up for it being so heavily reliant on DirectX 10 (not required, but most of the graphical pizazz is geared towards it), with so many optimizations only for Nvidia cards, and being a pig of a game that most systems below 'uber' level will choke on. That's like marketing for a niche of a niche of a niche market, isn't it?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 12:31 Verno

We see what you're trying to get at, we just don't agree with it. I had zero thoughts of Crysis when I heard about this game. Having "Cry" somewhere in your product name doesn't automatically imply a Crytek game to me. Sorry, just don't see it.  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 12:21 Kxmode

I know this Zyrxil, and I'm not referring to the themes of the game or gameplay. I'm referring to the name of the game. Are you guys not understanding my point? People buy games all the time based on product name and brand. How many units would sell if this game was called Anibiosis instead of Cryostasis? Not many I suspect.  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 12:09 Zyrxil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryostasis_(clathrate_hydrates)
"Cryostasis is the reversible cryopreservation of live biological objects."

Which accurately reflects the themes of the game. Trademark infringement on that is a huggggeeee stretch.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 11:57 Jerykk

This game runs like complete and utter arse on my 4870X2. I don't think they optimized it at all for ATI cards. I've heard that they're making a patch to resolve this issue but until they do, I'm staying away.  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 11:54 Kxmode

By the same measure, any company in the world can be called McDonalds, but should they attempt to make a logo involving a huge golden M, then thems fighting words!

Not necessarily true. If a burger joint opened and called itself McDonalds that's all they would need to go after them.

From the Wiki article on trademark infringement:

Infringement may occur when one party, the "infringer", uses a trademark which is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark owned by another party, in relation to products or services which are identical or similar to the products or services which the registration covers.

Where the respective marks or products or services are not identical, similarity will generally be assessed by reference to whether there is a likelihood of confusion that consumers will believe the products or services originated from the trademark owner.

Trademark infringement isn't about copying the fonts from another company, or even naming your company the same as another, it's about trademark confusion. Looking at this story my intial impression was Oh, another Crysis game. How much more so will this be amplified to the unsuppecting masses once they see this on store shelves?

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 12:00.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 11:47 Elf Shot The Food

"By the same measure, any company in the world can be called McDonalds, but should they attempt to make a logo involving a huge golden M, then thems fighting words!"

They're not golden arches; they're golden arcs.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - DRM-Free Cryostasis Apr 28, 2009, 11:43 Optimaximal

I wonder if Crytek or EA could sue Aspyr, Action Forms, 1C Company, and/or 505 Games? Cryostasis sounds too much like Crysis, and both are FPS
You cannot trademark a name, just a logo or recognisable form of imagery, so if Cryostasis used the Crysis font and general then yes, they might have a case.
By the same measure, any company in the world can be called McDonalds, but should they attempt to make a logo involving a huge golden M, then thems fighting words!

As it stands, it's just words.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo