Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New PhysX Games

NVIDIA has several new PhysX announcements this morning this one announces that Sega has licensed both PhysX and NVIDIA's APEX technologies as the development platform for all Sega studios. There is also an announcement PhysX is being used in Dark Void "to render realistic weapons, debris, and smoke effects." This press release announces PhysX for Darkest of Days, and The Future of Mankind Depends on NVIDIA PhysX Technology has news that PhysX support will be part of Terminator Salvation.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 29, 2009, 20:29 GT

This stuff will be optional until it's a dedicated co-processing unit on a motherboard, simple as that
Actually this stuff will be optional until the major players finally bury the hatchet and agree to support one standard. OpenCLI should be the standard platform for physics processing on the GPU, but Nvidia would rather have a proprietary advantage with PhysX only running on its own cards.

Microsoft's compute shader could make this whole argument moot just like Direct3D put Glide out of our misery, but until DirectX 11 takes hold, users will have to put up with this proprietary bullshit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 29, 2009, 20:23 GT

I also think it was a mistake to drop the standalone cards.
Actually that is about the only thing that is not a mistake because it's cheaper now to buy an inexpensive additional Nvidia graphics card for PhysX than it was to purchase those defunct standalone cards. So long as your motherboard has an extra PCI-e graphics slot, you can use the additional Nvidia card for PhysX even if your main video card is an ATI/AMD card.

If Nvidia would just port PhysX to OpenCLI, this whole problem would go away because then ATI/AMD cards and any other cards could run PhysX. Nvidia now supports OpenCLI on CUDA, so there is no technical reason why PhysX couldn't be ported.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2009, 11:07.

13. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 21:26 Nucas

i guess most of you kids are too young to remember the whole 3dFX bullshit and the era of original 3D accelerators - people said the same garbage you currently spout.. did that stop 3D GPUs from becoming completely ubiquitous? not by a long shot
i was thinking of 3dfx too, but more of how they kept trying to foist glide on an industry that no longer cared.

there are a lot of future trends i could see taking hold well before physics processing, like dedicated ray-tracing units. the current state of the market, with the biggest player now a subsidiary of nvidia with their tech proprietary, phyics processing is just going to stay a novelty.

i'd really like to hear it from a developer what they'd most like to incorporate into their tech.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 21:28.

12. Re: dancing monkey Apr 28, 2009, 19:16 space captain

i rest my case  
Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 17:09 Verno

You're just full of wonderful industry revelations, you should be a market analyst. HEY GUYS I HEAR PHYSICS IS A BIG DEAL LOLLLLL.  

10. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 16:35 space captain

Would you care to tell us about the virtual reality revolution too?

sure no problem - everything you experience is nothing more than the inability of your mind to grasp reality, which sends your barely functioning attention whirling into a cyclone of confusion where you mistake your own ideas for something that actually exists, and put mortal trust in the belief that the universe revolves around your little ideas of what you are

theres your virtual reality revolution.. but dont worry kid - its natural

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 16:13 Verno

news flash, genius - nobody gives a fuck what you care about

Would you care to tell us about the virtual reality revolution too?

8. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 15:39 MTechnik

one of the few people who fell for the hype and actually have the Physx card installed

That's OK, I wanted to get a pair of SLI'd GTX 260's over anything ATI because I wanted to be able to use Physx.

That and I wanted a space heater.

7. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 15:39 space captain

I don't really care what is the wave of the future.

news flash, genius - nobody gives a fuck what you care about

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 14:26 kimbambaman

Dark Void and Terminator Salvation actually look like OK games. I'm one of the few people who fell for the hype and actually have the Physx card installed. It would be nice to have some games that use it properly for a change. The last time it really made a powerful impact was that Physx mod pack for UT3. Seeing that tornado tear up the level geometry in real time is truly awesome to behold!  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

5. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 12:51 Verno

I don't really care what is the wave of the future. I don't want to be locked out of playing a game because I bought Nvidia instead of ATI or vice versa. Developers don't to lock out half their potential customers either. This stuff will be optional until it's a dedicated co-processing unit on a motherboard, simple as that. You're not quite the market visionary you suspect yourself to be space_dork.  

4. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 12:03 space captain

it doesnt matter which brand it is, physics based processing IS the next wave of technology advances in games... whether by dedicated PPU or specialized CPU instructions

just like any gold rush, there will be many contenders at first - who comes out on top is another story

what is more surprising to me is the lack of awareness regarding future trends.. isnt this supposed to be a gaming enthusiast website?

i guess most of you kids are too young to remember the whole 3dFX bullshit and the era of original 3D accelerators - people said the same garbage you currently spout.. did that stop 3D GPUs from becoming completely ubiquitous? not by a long shot

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 11:41 theyarecomingforyou

The technology itself is worthwhile but I hate all the politics surrounding game development and graphics technologies, like games sponsored by nVidia not being allowed to support DX10.1. PhysX is unlikely to get anywhere with nVidia owning it, as ATi won't implement it and Intel uses Havok. A few shitty games like those listed here aren't going to change anything. I also think it was a mistake to drop the standalone cards.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

2. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 10:47 space captain

sounds like a wonderful fantasy. lol  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: New PhysX Games Apr 28, 2009, 10:28 KilrathiAce

I cant wait for someone to actually analyze advantages of this technology in the games vs not using it. lol  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo