Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Film on Hold

Variety reports Universal Pictures has thrown some cold water on the BioShock movie, saying the film tie-in with 2K Games' underwater shooter that was to be directed by Gore Verbinski is on hold. Word is some of the production staff has been let go as they work on figuring out how to trim the project's budget, which has grown to the $160 million range. The story does repeatedly stress how all parties involved are determined to work through these obstacles and make a BioShock movie a reality.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 17:06 theyarecomingforyou

Post 4 your asking is it to early to call 'fail', post 22 you state you don't see how it could fail?
My point was I don't see how it could fail on paper but in practice these sorts of movies always end up terrible. My point wasn't actually that the Bioshock movie can't fail (thus contracting my original post), which would be abundantly clear if you read the post properly. But I apologise for not making myself more clear.

Work on may movies do we? That's right, you run that world famous CGI workshop "theyarecomingforyouFX"
I don't have to work for a CGI workshop to know that most movies use CGI that I find appalling. Do you have to be a musician to dislike Metallica / Britney Spears / Elvis Presley? Do you have to be a film maker to dislike a movie? No. The CGI in movies like Lord Of The Rings and the new Star Wars movies was a huge turn-off. I don't mind if it's subtle - Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were reasonable - but that's very rare. Did you actually think before posting that?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 16:55 Kosumo

Post 4 your asking is it to early to call 'fail', post 22 you state you don't see how it could fail?

I know your just trying to add to the discussion, and qudos to you for that (well not post 4), but now your looking despite to be the one in the know. Work on may movies do we? That's right, you run that world famous CGI workshop "theyarecomingforyouFX"

22. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

I see the nerves, though PotC worked so well because they were so open. BioShock is very closed and claustrophobic. Typically these movies don't do as well as they're harder to make epic and sweeping.
The trouble with most movie-to-film projects is that the films tends to have a throw away plot, which just wouldn't work with Bioshock. Potentially the enclosed nature of the setting would actually work better for the budget, though it would still require a decent plot, decent direction and decent production. I imagine it will be your clichéd affair, with an over-dramatic score, cheesy CGI and an overly large cast. I mean, how many people do you really need? There are only a handful of characters and it's really only the Jack, the player's character, that would have any screen time. Do you see them sticking to that? Look at the Doom movie - they added dozens of tedious, unnecessary characters. Sure it's not easy making a compelling plot with only one main character but that's the challenge.

With a top director, a competent (rumoured) lead actor and a budget that high I don't see how it could fail but I imagine it will nonetheless. That's if it even gets off the ground. The Halo movie also had big names attached but that ended up being scrapped.

21. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 13:10 Twenty

What's interesting with this news is a week or two ago it was announced Gore Verbinski wouldnt be back for a 4th PoTC because he wanted to focus on the Bioshock movie...and now this news.

Yeah, wow, that's so interesting. Rolleyes

20. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 13:08 Twenty

Wow, if that's your comeback you'd do better to just say nothing. You are not ready.

You have made 11 posts and 4 of them are attacking me. Riley, is that you? Regardless, I have no desire to further respond to you. Good day.

You have no desire to further respond? Then why say anything at all? You just couldn't resist throwing in these last stupid comments, could you?

My posts weren't an attack on you. You *attempted* to attack another forum member and ended up looking stupid in the process. All I did was point that out.

19. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 11:21 Beamer

That's not an extreme budget. Honestly, I think this movie needs it.

I see the nerves, though PotC worked so well because they were so open. BioShock is very closed and claustrophobic. Typically these movies don't do as well as they're harder to make epic and sweeping.

But I think it'll be able to make its budget back, including marketing, between worldwide and DVD release, no problem.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 11:11 theyarecomingforyou

Wow, if that's your comeback you'd do better to just say nothing. You are not ready.
You have made 11 posts and 4 of them are attacking me. Riley, is that you? Regardless, I have no desire to further respond to you. Good day.

17. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 10:26 Twenty

Are we past the word 'troll' as well? How about 'asshat'? I best check my memos but thanks anyway for criticising me rather than staying on topic. In future you might want to take your anti-PMS pills instead of spewing your menstrual cycle all over the comments section here. Garlic bread, anyone?

16. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 09:56 Umbragen

If Hollywood is willing to waste time and money bringing Atlas Shrugged to the screen they may as well do a BioShock movie, at least it has a chance of being entertaining. (Not to mention being a more accurate portrayal of Objectivism.) $160 million, though, that's outrageous - CGI and bluescreen ftw.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2009, 11:46.

15. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 03:41 DangerDog

Way over rated for that size of a budget, time to break out the virtual sets and do everything in green screen.  

14. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 26, 2009, 00:06 Kosumo

My bad, sorry, I thought you asked a question, I take it my answer is wrong. I feel so fail.  

13. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 22:43 theyarecomingforyou

Not for you, but the rest of the world as gotten way past the use of the word 'fail' as some cool internet term/meme.
Are we past the word 'troll' as well? How about 'asshat'? I best check my memos but thanks anyway for criticising me rather than staying on topic. In future you might want to take your anti-PMS pills instead of spewing your menstrual cycle all over the comments section here. Garlic bread, anyone?

12. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 22:06 Twenty

Is it too early to call 'fail'?

Not for you, but the rest of the world as gotten way past the use of the word 'fail' as some cool internet term/meme.

Ouch! How do you spell "FUCKING OWNED"?

11. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 20:22 Nucas

6 years ago i'm sure people were saying "130 million dollars for a movie about a DISNEY RIDE? give me a break!"

it does have a proven director and writer, i won't be surprised if it's good.

10. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 20:06 zirik

Are they kidding? 160 million dollar budget?

i was thinking thats a small figure for a movie that will probably require a lot of special effects and set designs. how much are big budget movies now?

9. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 20:01 Kosumo

Is it too early to call 'fail'?

8. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 17:17 Krovven

What's interesting with this news is a week or two ago it was announced Gore Verbinski wouldnt be back for a 4th PoTC because he wanted to focus on the Bioshock movie...and now this news.  

7. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 15:57 CommunistHamster

Market it as "From The Director of PoTC" and you've got yourself a pretty hefty audience right there.  

6. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 15:56 StingingVelvet

What's with all the complaints? The story of Bioshock was pretty excellent, as was the visual/audio style... all these things transfer to a movie well, especially with a visual director.  

5. Re: BioShock Film on Hold Apr 25, 2009, 14:52 Creston

Are they kidding? 160 million dollar budget? How many people do they think are actually going to go see this? That's a 120 million dollar flop in the making, right there.

Creston

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo