Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans

Paramount Digital Entertainment officially announces Star Trek: D-A-C, which turns out to be headed to Windows as well as consoles, with the PC release to follow "shortly" after the console editions. Here are some screenshots, and here's the announcement:

LOS ANGELES – April 23, 2009 – Paramount Digital Entertainment, Bad Robot Interactive, CBS and Naked Sky Entertainment today announced the launch of Star Trek®: D-A-C, coming to Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this May, and to PlayStation®Network and Windows PC shortly thereafter. Inspired by the upcoming “Star Trek” movie from Paramount Pictures, Star Trek: D-A-C is a fast-paced, top-down space shooter where players take the captain’s chair and engage in intense online multi-player or co-op battles. Pick up and play, then lead your team to victory.

“The upcoming ‘Star Trek’ film has ignited interest among a new generation of fans as well as longtime fans of the original,” said Tom Lesinski, President Paramount Pictures Digital Entertainment. “With that same goal in mind, Star Trek: D-A-C was designed to appeal to ‘Star Trek’ fans and gamers alike. The pick up and play arcade-style game play lets fans take the command and boldly go!”

Star Trek: D-A-C allows fans to directly control a variety of ships and pitch battles between Starfleet and the Romulan Empire. Up to 12 players can compete in thrilling team combat. There are three game play modes - single player, online multiplayer and online co-op. For each mode, there are three different game types - Team DeathMatch, Assault and Conquest. Players can choose from three ship types for each faction, including the new U.S.S. Enterprise featured in the “Star Trek” film. Each ship – the powerful Flagship, the nimble Fighter and the devastating Bomber – offers its own unique capabilities for players to master and manipulate as they fight for victory. In addition to featuring the new U.S.S. Enterprise, Star Trek: D-A-C incorporates music and signature sounds taken directly from the new “Star Trek” film.

Star Trek: D-A-C is scheduled to launch May 2009 for the Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360, and for the PlayStation Network and Windows PC shortly thereafter. It is rated “E” by the ESRB.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 10:00 Ecthelion

Did they take liberties with the characters and storyline? Of course. It didn't make the game bad...just different from what you wanted.
I never said EF1 or EF2 were bad games... just that they weren't true to the Star Trek universe. The shooter fan in me enjoyed them, but the Trekkie in me wanted games that showed the spirit of Star Trek. The adventure games of the past did a better job of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. EF Apr 24, 2009, 09:47 Ant

EF = Elite Force I assume. I enjoyed those games since I am a fan of FPS'. I do agree that it was linear, but what did you expect?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

34. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 08:41 Slashman

I disagree. It may have been a better shooter, but it was even worse as a Star Trek game.

I think it was just a nice game overall. The truth is that capturing the exact feel of Star Trek would require making a game that's NOT a shooter at all. If you want to experience a pound for pound episode of Star Trek...order the DVDs.

A shooter is an action game. Sure it can have other elements...but most of my friends who played EF2 thought it was just a fun game. I'm not a Trekkie...but I have Trekkie frends and they didn't complain.

Particular bad were the silly boss battles and nonsensical characters (a Ferengi who decided it was a good idea to fight an elite Starfleet security officer? Please)

I dunno...I always thought that if you were desperate enough, you'd do just about anything. The game wasn't perfect...but the elements it incorporated(the tricorder puzzles etc.) felt right without getting too bogged down in Star Trek 'realism'. It wasn't an RPG...it was a shooter using the Quake 3 engine.

Did they take liberties with the characters and storyline? Of course. It didn't make the game bad...just different from what you wanted.

33. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 07:29 Ecthelion

it's hard to track down anymore but if you can find a copy of it, elite force 2 is far superior. it was designed by ritual, who shifted it away from voyager onto enterprise. it had a more entertaining storyline presented with better aptitude, with less linearity and interesting puzzles.
I disagree. It may have been a better shooter, but it was even worse as a Star Trek game. Particular bad were the silly boss battles and nonsensical characters (a Ferengi who decided it was a good idea to fight an elite Starfleet security officer? Please). Elite Force was bad enough, with the silly idea that Starfleet would use a combat team on away missions. But at least it had the excuse that with the USS Voyager being stranded away from Starfleet, such a team would be slightly more believable. EF2 had no excuse since the team was moved to the USS Enterprise.

That's why A Final Unity (I never played 25th Anniversary) was a much better Star Trek game... it felt like you were playing through an episode. Most of the other Star Trek games felt like genre games that happened to take place in the Star Trek universe. Some of them got the atmosphere right, but not the characters and plot.

32. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 06:30 Nucas

Reasons I don't like EF much:
that's just what you get when raven designs a game, though evidentally some people have a taste for inept design.

it's hard to track down anymore but if you can find a copy of it, elite force 2 is far superior. it was designed by ritual, who shifted it away from voyager onto enterprise. it had a more entertaining storyline presented with better aptitude, with less linearity and interesting puzzles.

not ritual's masterwork but a great game for anyone who likes to gun things down, trek fans especially i'm sure. ritual was really good at what they did, it's a shame the company fell apart and tried to go casual. christ, that's like valve going console exclusive.

31. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 01:14 swaaye

I think you're way off. It's respectable for any game to get an 86 on Metacritic but for a Star Trek game like Elite Force? That's pretty exceptional and it had appeal outside of franchise fans. Not only that but the multiplayer was top notch. It was widely hailed as the best Star Trek game. How you can stretch it to be "pretty bad" I just don't know.

Reasons I don't like EF much:

-too linear for me. It's mind numbingly so, with serious "only one door" syndrome.
-kinda cheesy feel to it (trademark Raven style)
-based on Voyager, my least fav Trek franchise
-the Elite Force team doesn't actually exist in Voyager canon
-they came up with some lame weapons and gimped the Borg in the first 10 minutes of play with the IMod. Why invent anything?
-"good" is not the word I would choose to describe the multiplayer

Did like:
-can wander the ship (especially in the addon pack)
-atmospheric and immersive at times
-episodic design like other Trek games

I think I prefer DS9 The Fallen over Elite Force for a Trek shooter though because of how well I think it nails the DS9 feel. It invents fewer things and it has some really awesome missions. I really dig DS9 over Voyager too so that's a big plus for it. I'm not going to say that it's perfect though.

Are you sure that's not nostalgia talking? Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that diplomacy and politics are integral to the Star Trek universe but then so is action and that tends to translate better to video games.
Not really since I've played 25th and AFU rather recently. They are the best games to go for if you want to feel like you're in an episode of Trek IMO. And they definitely do have action elements. Ship and personal combat of various sorts. Both can get frustrating with puzzles, but that's what walkthroughs are for.

Trek game preference obviously comes down to personal genre preferences. To each is his own, eh.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2009, 01:56.

30. Re: CCP? Apr 23, 2009, 20:58 Narf2029

It's just a shitty cash-in attempt to coincide with the new movie. They even admit it, at least. And wow, nice graphics...  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

29. Re: CCP? Apr 23, 2009, 20:44 Kxmode

I hope the film's special effects don't look like this game. This is terribad.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2009, 20:56.

28. Re: CCP? Apr 23, 2009, 20:37 Kxmode

Paramount doesn't care. The video game is a campy advertisement for the film.  

27. CCP? Apr 23, 2009, 20:17 Razor

I rarely bitch about graphics... but holy this looks like ass. Maybe Paramount should of thought about talking to CCP about a good space graphics engine. This does not do Star Trek any justice.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2009, 20:18.

26. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 20:15 Kxmode

xXKAHNXx: This is Ceti Alpha V!
Kirk2837: Oh. Yeah. You're right. I couldn't tell with the crappy font they used.

25. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 19:45 Zzet

Oh dear god no. This is not going to sell well on the PC. Star Trek needs games that exploit the IP properly, not some half-arse shooter design that rips off Fireteam. I imagine it'll sell reasonably well on consoles as the majority of that crowd genuinely couldn't tell a good game from a turgid bowel sausage, but for the PC as well? Ambitious at best.

And the best Star Trek game is very much a toss-up between the Elite Force games and Birth of the Federation. The latter can be found at http://www.armadafleetcommand.com though I imagine the ISO that can be located there with a bit of hunting is very much illegally accessible, so please don't sue anyone, especially me, for linking that site*. I recommend one of the rebalancing mods, such as Infinity, to make the game more enjoyable.

*generic anti-copyright mongoloid lawyer disclaimer.

24. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 19:21 maldoror

Starfleet Command this is not.

Looks like the ships control like a shuttle craft, not a huge lumbering ship of the line as they should be. I will pass.

23. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 17:57 Sho

Personally, my favorite Trek games were Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy. Starfleet Academy was one of my favorite space games in that the missions didn't just come down to shooting, but also involved reconnaissance and diplomacy. The plot wasn't that bad, either. Klingon Academy, then, was a nice more hardcore sim-centric variant with harder, more tactical missions.  

22. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 17:21 Creston

Can't believe no one's mentioned Birth of the Federation. Easily the best Trek game (and one of my favourite strategy games of all time), followed by Generations and The Fallen (great score).

BotF was fantastic. I lost my copy somehow (argh) and of course nobody in the entire fucking universe sells it anymore. I've emailed GOG and asked about it, apparently it's in publisher's limbo or something.

Creston

21. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 17:11 PHJF

Hell with that, the best Trek games were those of Elite Force.

Bridge Commander was also top notch.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 17:10 theyarecomingforyou

Like someone else said, I think that the best Trek games were the adventure games. They combined action and adventure, which is what Trek is about. I've played almost every Trek game made and the best ones were A Final Unity and 25th Anniversary, IMO.
Are you sure that's not nostalgia talking? Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that diplomacy and politics are integral to the Star Trek universe but then so is action and that tends to translate better to video games.

I did like how DS9 The Fallen and Elite Force let you wander around Trek areas somewhat freely though. The games were pretty bad overall though I think.
I think you're way off. It's respectable for any game to get an 86 on Metacritic but for a Star Trek game like Elite Force? That's pretty exceptional and it had appeal outside of franchise fans. Not only that but the multiplayer was top notch. It was widely hailed as the best Star Trek game. How you can stretch it to be "pretty bad" I just don't know.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

19. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 16:58 kimbambaman

Reminds me of that crappy Battlestar Galactica game that came out on XBLA a while ago...  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

18. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 16:58 BeefJerky

Can't believe no one's mentioned Birth of the Federation. Easily the best Trek game (and one of my favourite strategy games of all time), followed by Generations and The Fallen (great score).  

17. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 16:45 JoeBlack

Was that the one where it was multiplayer server based and you had to capture "planets"?

If so, that was awesome!

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo