Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

L4D PC Survival Pack

Valve announces the Windows edition of the Left 4 Dead Survival Pack is now automatically available via Steam. The pack adds the new Survival mode, 16 maps. leaderboards, seven new achievements, as well as bug fixes and other changes. They also announce both the retail and Steam versions of the game (PC and 360) are now available for a special price. Sure enough, the price for Left 4 Dead on Steam has been lowered to $39.99 and even lower sale prices can be found in stores right now.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 18:07 Krovven

aye, I prefer the pacing of the Nazi Zombie mode in CoD WaW. The new map and design changes in this game mode is awesome BTW...unfortunately the Local Hosting implementation of this mode is garbage and it's hard to get PUG's at any given time.

CoD WaW Nazi Zombies, NEEDS a dedicated server.

with several minutes between of tediously arranging canisters etc - why not just make it a 20 min game with a slower initial curve?

Which I'm finding strategically placing cans and tanks, is next to pointless as you rarely have time to change positions to make proper use of them anyways, let alone see them through the horde to be able to hit them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 17:49 DG

It's fun, definitely fast paced, but there are just way to many infected bosses at all times. The bosses should be more spread out, to mix up fighting off horde waves,not fighting off horde waves just so you can see where the bosses are at.
on my initial games I agree.

After about the 3min mark it's just constant, it's less a case of "dealing with the tank" than dealing with the stream of smokers, hunters and boomers while you're trying to get the tank, with plenty horde getting in the way for good measure. It's not much different from having a crescendo where the horde doesn't stop for the tank, and there's a lot more specials in the mix. After about 3 mins the smokers and hunters are spawning and moving around in packs of 3.

There's no gradual easing into it which would allow the team a chance to learn how to work together and figure how this is going to play out as the difficulty ramps up. It would be better slowed down with longer intervals and less number of specials (after about 3 mins they spawn and move around in packs of 3). It's designed to be a 10 minute game but all that happens is people play for a few rounds to get into it anyway, with several minutes between of tediously arranging canisters etc - why not just make it a 20 min game with a slower initial curve?

15. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 17:03 Krovven

Well apparently you do suck at reading comprehension, as I clearly stated
"15 of which are sections of maps taken from the 4 campaigns, and modified for this game mode. 1 map, Last Stand is completely new." but you disregarded that when quoting me.

I never said 16 maps were new. Nobody I can see in this thread ever said there was "16 new maps". Furthermore, the patch notes don't even call them "16 new maps" as you do in quotes. The patch notes state "new gameplay mode" and "7 new achievements". Again, another example of why you fail at reading comprehension.

As for Nucas trying to correct you, he then said there were 10 new maps for Versus...which is technically true, as they were only available in SP Campaign before, and have been modified quite a lot for Versus mode. The patch notes states "2 new versus campaigns"...which is also accurate and not "PR speak".

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2009, 17:05.

14. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 16:28 StreetPreacher

Dagok said:
Some of you completely fail at basic reading comprehension.

16 Survival Mode maps...

No, I can assure you that my basic reading comprehension is more than up to snuff. There is only *1* new map. Allowing you to play a new game type on old maps does not magically make the maps new. They are old. We have all seen them before, and we have played them over and over again ad nauseum. They are in fact old. Old as in "not new."

"16 New Maps" is PR doublespeak that that hopes people will be dumb enough to believe b/c it's well known that the game didn't ship with enough maps. Now it has simply "not enough" plus one.

13. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 01:33 Krovven

It's fun, definitely fast paced, but there are just way to many infected bosses at all times. The bosses should be more spread out, to mix up fighting off horde waves,not fighting off horde waves just so you can see where the bosses are at.

12. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 01:19 Prez

My overall feeling about the DLC is "Meh. Not too impressed."

Really would have preferred some campaigns. The normal game is way better than survival mode.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 22, 2009, 01:15 StingingVelvet

Survival is a bit too hectic to be fun... it has its moments, but for the most part I would rather a normal game.

The SDK is what I am waiting for.

10. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 21:47 Silicon Avatar

It's a fun game, but ragequits and bossy players make it a turd sandwich if you want to go multiplayer and you can't stir up some friends who want to play as well. Where idiots in games like TF2 are easy to ignore, in L4D they can totally spoil a match.

9. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 20:58 Krovven

Some of you completely fail at basic reading comprehension.

16 Survival Mode maps - 15 of which are sections of maps taken from the 4 campaigns, and modified for this game mode. 1 map, Last Stand is completely new.

Death Toll and Dead Air campaigns are now available for Versus mode.

SDK is coming...should be out any time now.

8. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 20:43 Nucas

it unlocked the two closed campaigns for use in versus, which is ten "new" maps, and there's one lighthouse map which actually is new, so where is the 16 figure coming from?

i really wish valve was more proactive in their release of mod tools or at least fresh campaigns of their own, my friends and i got completely burned out on l4d about two months after it came out and havn't touched it since.

7. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 20:24 StreetPreacher

That post is extremely misleading as the new pack includes exactly 1 and only 1 new map (Lighthouse), not 16. People expecting to see 16 brand new maps are going to be sorely disappointed.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2009, 20:25.

6. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 20:09 Joss

Reinstall the game? Come on now,you should always have a zombie-killing game ready-to-play on you HD! In case life gets you down.  

5. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 19:40 KilrathiAce

I wonder if this pack is good enough for me to reinstall this game...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

4. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 19:34 Caveman

My record is 11:38:79, what about yours?  

3. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 19:04 elefunk

FYI - yes, it also includes the two other campaigns for versus mode, but they didn't mention it in the update news. Scared me for a sec!  

2. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 18:52 Dades

Still no button to directly connect to a dedicated server, why is this so hard Valve? sv_steamgroup just randomly doesn't work for some servers.  

1. Re: L4D PC Survival Pack Apr 21, 2009, 18:30 Krovven

I'll be home and ready to play by around 6:30 PST. Those on my Friends list, hit me up for some zombie killing action.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo