Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Patches

A new version 3.1.1 of World of Warcraft is now available, adding a full 0.0.1 of newness to the previous version 3.1.0 of Blizzard's MMORPG. A manual version of the US/AU English patch is available from AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, Games32, IncGamers, and The Patches Scrolls. Some or all of the various other language edition patches are mirrored on AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, Games32, IncGamers, and The Patches Scrolls.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 23:27 Yifes

like the size of the world... seriously, less than 5 minutes to get from Hobbiton to Bree on a horse??

Hahaha yeah. Makes Frodo's adventures seem like a trip to the supermarket. Really takes the magic out of the books.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 20:45 Endo

@#6: Interestingly enough, that's exactly the thing that turned me off as well. I've been a fan of Tolkien for a good while, and whatever LotRO was, it wasn't anything Tolkien. I could nitpick a lot about small details that were just beyond wrong (like the size of the world... seriously, less than 5 minutes to get from Hobbiton to Bree on a horse??) but mostly the look and feel overall was just wrong. Even the movies were better in that regard.  

8. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 19:54 Umbragen

I'd have more nice things to say about LotRO if they would fix the damned graphics engine. During beta, I thought it was my crappy computer, but I've upgraded everything at least once and the game still has popping textures and odd, jerky hitching. (Hey, maybe I should pop for an SSD next!) Seriously, even AoC runs smooth as silk on this machine, but LotRO coughs like 4th stage emphysemic? Fix it already.  

7. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 18:56 Krovven

I've tried LoTR twice, once in beta and then again the Trial before MoM came out. Just seemed like every other MMO to me. In fact, the "boring ass fedex/kill x/fetch x quest system." seemed to be no different in LoTR than it is in WoW.

One of the reasons I play WoW, and keep coming back to WoW is that just about every time I play I see something implemented with Blizzards form of humor, which I love.

ie: the other day I did the quest "According to my calculations..." with the NPC "Harrison Jones". The NPC of course looked like a Warcraft version of Indiana Jones and the quest ended facing off against a big Cobra...to which the NPC says something like, 'oh no...not a snake'.

It's old, but I still get a chuckle whenever I see "The One Ring" +1 to all stats.

There are hundreds if not thousands of examples in the game of this.

6. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 18:37 Sencho

@ #4.

Well, I'm a huge fan of the setting and that turned me off when I saw how LotRO basically turned it into just another fantasy setting. Quite a disappointment for me considering the world to which they had access.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2009, 18:37.

5. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 17:47 Dades

@ #2:

What specifically do you find to be more enjoyable in LotRO?

I play WoW and have played Lotro in the past. One thing Lotro did right that I have to give it credit for is the Burglar. It is by far the best implementation of a "Rogue" type class you will see in any MMO. If my friends would quit WoW and play that instead, I'd still be playing a Burglar in Lotro. It is so much fun it just has to be experienced to be understood. Self-healing, sets up group combo attacks, crowd control, good damage, stealth, etc. It's balanced well and is honestly the only MMO class I've played that I would say "Bam perfect, doesnt need any changes ever".

One thing Lotro did wrong is that the instances are more dungeon like and atmospheric. Wait you say, that's a good thing! Unfortunately like many other dungeon crawler games, they can be very tedious and take long periods of time to clear. I had a regular plain old dungeon run that took 3 hours to clear. That's not a raid, just a regular place with ok quality loot. I'm sure repeated runs would be faster but I've rarely spent longer than an hour and a half my first time anywhere in WoW outside of raids.

WoW did achievements better as well, the Lotro version of them is annoying and way too grindy for my taste.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2009, 17:50.

4. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 17:19 Fion

Well I'm a big fan of the setting for one and LotRO does a pretty solid job of staying faithful to that setting.

The game as a whole is a themepark MMOG that is based on questing, like WoW. The differences are the quests are generally better, and there are story-lines based on race and quest as well as the events from the setting (the fellowship, etc.)

Also the community is on the whole beyond better. I'm on an RP server (Landroval) and it's like night and day. The general channel is filled with intelligent discussion, people who ask questions, are actually answered, not screamed at, etc.

It's an all around solid MMOG, a rarity in the genre (which is crazy really), and quite a lot of fun. If your a fan of the setting or even simply looking for a well rounded MMOG with a good community, it's worth a look.

3. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 17:15 Xenovore

@ #2:

What specifically do you find to be more enjoyable in LotRO?

2. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 17:00 Fion

I gave up on WoW and it's epic nerf stick and endlessly repeating, boring ass fedex/kill x/fetch x quest system.

Now playing LotRO and finding it much.. much more enjoyable.

1. Re: World of Warcraft Patches Apr 21, 2009, 16:08 nin

Time to respec (again).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo