Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout Online Legal Woes?

No Mutants Allowed notes that Interplay's annual 10-K filing is online, and in it they've uncovered indications a legal battle is brewing over the rights Interplay retains to create an MMO Fallout game, provided the project meets certain criteria established when Bethesda bought rights to the Fallout franchise. One of those stipulations is that the project should begin development within two years of that deal, which would make such the deadline for that a couple of weeks ago. Under the "legal proceedings" section of their filing, Interplay indicates they expect to be hearing from lawyers about this situation soon:

Interplay recently received notice that Bethesda Softworks, LLC ("Bethesda") intends to terminate the trademark license agreement between Bethesda and Interplay which was entered into April 4, 2007 for the development of FALLOUT MMOG. Despite the fact that no formal action is currently pending, Bethesda claims that Interplay is in breach of the trademark license agreement for failure to commence fill scale development of same by April 4, 2009 and to secure certain funding for the MMOG. Interplay adamantly disputes these claims. Although the potential damages are currently unknown, if Bethesda ultimately prevails and cancels the trademark license agreement, Interplay would lose its license back of the "Fallout" MMOG and any damages resulting therefrom are unknown at this time.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 23:39 Z9000

@ Raptor - Oh I remember Daggerfall very well. I think it had the most patches of any game I can remember, and each one broke the game more than what it fixed. I remember ending up walking on top of the dungeons instead of inside them.

I loved Sea Dogs, when I saw SD2 being rolled out as a Pirates of the Caribean title, I was ok with it. I have never been able to get past 1/4th of the game on either the PC or Xbox due to save game corruption.

Now the PS3 stuff with Oblivion and F3. Like I said, their own worst enemy and it always seems to be technical issues. On a console that's reprehensible... The excuse of different machines is not there and comes off as apathetic disregard.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 18:34 |RaptoR|

What's funny is that Bethesda has ALWAYS released buggy games.

Daggerfall is one of my favorite games of all time, but it was so buggy at launch that you couldn't even beat it. Such a great game, anyway.

The Terminator games were also really good, but multiplayer on LAN was next to impossible to get working correctly, and when you DID get it working, games lasted 10 minutes at most before they bugged out.

Bethesda is a top tier developer in my eyes but the issues with bugs and technical problems is something that goes way back in their history.

24. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 17:21 Z9000

The thing I did like about Fallout 3 were the mysteries surrounding each alternate vault. Those were very well done. One in particular had me wondering if my PS3 was on the frtiz hehe. Seriously, Bathesda is it's own worst enemy. If they could just tighten up the technical issues on their admittedly very amitious projects, I would have almost nothing but praise for the games they make. Well I would still gripe about DLC exclusives. I think that's absolutely wrong. Man up and go full exclusive or treat all your customers fair.  
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

23. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 17:09 WyldKat

Fallen Earth will beat this game to market and likely bury it.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 17:09.

22. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 16:39 MMORPGHoD

Interplay is a company only on paper with a skeleton crew and no cash. There's nothing to see here.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 16:40.

21. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 16:06 Creston

Fuck Interplay. They've killed every single good IP they ever had and, quite frankly, I have no clue how those inept dipshits are even still in business.

Bethesda made a great game in Fallout 3, made a shitty decision on their DLC, but I look forward to their next Fallout game. (2013 I guess?)

The last thing we need is Interplay to create a shitty ass MMORPG and fuck the entire franchise all over again. (like they did last time.)

Creston

20. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 15:33 Reitsuki

Because they didn't license squat. They bought. It's theirs. They could replace Fallout Boy with a pink jelly doughnut with legs, turn the Brotherhood of Steel into a gay tap-dancing street gang, and turn the gameplay into a Tetris-like puzzle game if they wanted to. They are beholden to no one.  

19. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 15:26 Ecthelion

See gamers buy games. They just want good games, it doesn't matter it is a MMO or RTS or FPS. I don't how else to explain it to you.
So you're not a gamer unless you like all genres? Next you're going to say you have to like all platforms too. I'm a PC gamer (yes, gamer) who likes quite a few genres. FPS, RTS, RPG and Sims are some of the genres I like. However, I don't care for MMOs or Fighting games. That doesn't make me any less of a gamer. Just as someone can be a fan of movies and not like every single genre out there, the same is true of gaming genres.

I have no interest in playing a Fallout MMO, but I'm not opposed to its creation as long as it doesn't stand in the way of another "normal" Fallout RPG being made someday.

18. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 15:24 DangerDog

Funny, Bethesda said they swore off licensing IP for games after their experience with the Terminator franchise.

I guess some things are just too good to pass up, a Fallout MMO game?

good luck with that one guys.

17. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 15:20 SCG

No. The last thing this hobby need is yet another MMO.

However since that is unrealistic. The last thing this hobby needs is another WOW CLONE!

That's a completely unfounded opinion. Saying that is like saying the "last thing this hobby needs is another FPS" or "the last thing this hobby needs is another RTS". Maybe Blizzard should stop working on Starcraft 2 since YOU PERSONALLY don't want it.

As it turns out. There are these people in the world that want new games. They are called GAMERS. I think you're on the wrong forum. Gamers want new games. Even games in the same genre.

See gamers buy games. They just want good games, it doesn't matter it is a MMO or RTS or FPS. I don't how else to explain it to you.

16. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 15:19 Reitsuki

@14

Actually, Bethesda pretty much bought Fallout lock, stock, and barrel. Interplay was just granted a couple of limited licenses... permission to republish the old games, permission to develop an MMO if certain conditions were met, that's about it. And actually I think even if Interplay published the MMO, Bethesda was entitled to a certain percentage of profits. It's Bethesda's baby now.

*edit* Bah, you corrected yourself while I was correcting you.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:20.

15. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 14:33 Cutter

Well gee, Interplay couldn't raise the needed 30 or 40 mil they needed for this title? Big surprise. Pfft. As I've stated before, Bethsoft should just hire the original team - Cain, Boyarsky, Avellone, et al - and let them design and head up the FO MOG. I'm sure we'd all be cool with that.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 14:29 Scottso

Actually the way I read that, if Interplay is not set up to start developing the MMO, the license agreement is terminated and Bethesda is owed monetary damages. That's it.

It doesn't mean that Bethesda gets the Fallout license. It means Bethesda actually loses the license to make new games under the Fallout umbrella. After all, it was a license of the property by Bethesda, not a sale of the property to Bethesda.

Edit: Actually, it looks like I'm wrong and Bethesda actually purchased the Fallout property and licensed the MMO back to Interplay. Shacknews has a much clearer report on this.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 15:18.

13. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 13:57 Kxmode

Sounds like Bethesda wants complete ownership of the Fallout IP. I'd imagine they don't like having their hands tied behind their back and want to proceed forward with a MMO using the Oblivion engine.

Does anyone know if the IP extends into other entertainment realms such as books and film?

12. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 13:18 Hyatus

If all the contract says is that it had to begin development more than 2 weeks ago, I bet Bethesda will be fine. I doubt they just started working on it.  

11. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 11:45 Z9000

Interplay originally created the IP and made 2 (4 if you count Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel) great games with it. Honestly all Bathesda did was make it 3D (just 1 tragic, buggy, but fun game). To me all the i.p. and concepts are from Interplay. As for writing I had seen most of that game already other places. Megaton to me was HBO's Deadwood with an annoying nurse from Grey's Anatomy (who I would bet actually voiced Moira Brown). Some of the other locations and plots were very familiar. Even down to the end (think Spock). But when it wasn't freezing up on the PS3 it was enjoyable. It froze at least 20 times requiring a cold boot from beginning to end for me and no, no other games excepts for Trivial Pursuit (bad port apparently), and Oblivion (Bathesda again) freeze my PS3.

It's a lesser of two evils how this will play out in any respect. Struggling development, or classic Bathesda with 80% brilliance and 20% corrupted, bug ridden, dysfunctional mess. And that's only if you actually see an MMO from either of them. This could just be a territory war for the sake of ownership where in the end, no one gets a game either way.

p.s. There is a compilation pack coming out soon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_vg?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=fallout+trilogy

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 12:31.

10. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 10:27 Frijoles

If they do go MMO, I hope they drop the massive part. I'd like to see much, much smaller groups of people in the world. Maybe a hundred or so people so you can really learn about the other people on your server.  

9. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 09:58 InBlack

The last thing this hobby needs is yet another fantasy based MMO

No. The last thing this hobby need is yet another MMO.

However since that is unrealistic. The last thing this hobby needs is another WOW CLONE!

There ya go, I for one feel that Elder scroll lore and richness exceeds anything ever blatantly copied and cartoonized by Blizzard.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Fallout Online Legal Woes? Apr 16, 2009, 09:55 Fartacus

But in fairness, Beth has no MMO track record, yet they've been gearing up recently to start making them. It's possible they have some new ideas to bring to market.

Are you kidding? Oblivion is a single player MMO.

7. Re: No Elder Scrolls Apr 16, 2009, 09:52 Techie714 ©

The last thing this hobby needs is yet another fantasy based MMO (Ie. Elder Scrolls). We need a GOOD post apocalyptic game like Fallout, or some other new IP. I dont quite understand why Interplay has been holding onto the MMO portion of Fallout but has yet to release or show anything related to it? What's the advantage for them to just hold it if they dont use it?

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 09:52.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo