Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Demigod

Stardock and Gas Powered Games announce that Demigod is now available in North American stores and for worldwide digital distribution, though the action/strategy game has actually inadvertently been available for a while already. Here's the announcement:

PLYMOUTH, MI (APRIL 14, 2009) - Stardock (www.stardock.com) announced today that its much anticipated PC real-time action strategy game, Demigod is now available for purchase at most retail outlets in North America as well as available worldwide digitally via Impulse (www.impulsedriven.com) at the same price ($39.95) no matter where the person is located.

Developed by renowned gaming studio Gas Powered Games, Demigod lets players take control of an immensely powerful being whose goal is to defeat his brethren in a series of epic arenas in order to ascend into the pantheon of the gods. During the course of each battle, players gain experience, purchase equipment, learn magical spells, capture key resources and upgrade their Citadel while working to lay waste the opposing faction.

Demigod battles take place in spectacular environments that are visually stunning and yet still run well on relatively older hardware thanks to a new technology developed by Gas Powered Games that optimizes the way rendering is executed on most video cards.

“Demigod in many ways captures the combined spirit of two hit Gas Powered Games titles – Supreme Commander and Dungeon Siege,” said Brad Wardell, president & CEO of Stardock. “In Demigod, the player controls a massively powerful unit who in some ways is like the commander in Supreme Commander except here, like in Dungeon Siege, the character can purchase equipment, buy items, and go up in level as he gains experience to access more powerful skills.”

In single player, Demigod provides both a skirmish mode for individual battles as well as a tournament in which players choose a Demigod and compete against other Demigods controlled by the computer to gain the most favor points with the gods in order to ascend.

In multiplayer, players can compete in online skirmishes in which matches players together based on their skill and experience or participate in the Pantheon, a persistent online tournament in which players choose a faction and earn favor points to through victory in the arena. Wins, losses, experience and much more is available.

Demigod is also the first PC title to make full use of Stardock’s new development platform, Impulse Reactor which provides Demigod with its in-game community features (friends, chat, tournaments, matchmaking, and more).

Like all Stardock games, the retail version of the game contains no DRM or copy protection. It includes Impulse to allow users to update to the latest version or even re-download the entire game. Players can install the game on multiple computers via Impulse without a hassle.

For further details about Demigod, please visit www.demigodthegame.com.

For more information about Stardock please visit www.stardock.com.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 21:33 Creston

Anyone have any idea how this would run on a Geforce 9600 M GS? I'm thinking of getting this for my laptop, it would actually be a great game to play while at work.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 21:16 Franco

I'm reviewing the game for Firingsquad and it's actually really good. I like the different play styles of each Demigod and the balance is fine. It's much better than I thought it would be.

Definitely try out the demo when it gets released, but so far I'm enjoying the heck out of the game.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 19:36 Bucky

Day 0 Update:

Edit: Found out how to copy links outa Impulse. Removed huge list that lacked formatting.

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/346058

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 19:37.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 19:16 Nate

Played it yesterday single player.

Today small 2MB patch for it. Nothing in the Impulse version history says what the patch is for though.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 18:35 Dades

Nope, single player is basically just skirmish versus the AI and gets boring very quickly. I haven't played too much MP but the potion thing is a fair comment, it really destroys health management. No craftable items that I've seen so far and most of the advanced DotA stuff isn't there. Multiplayer is really unstable at the moment and I've been frequently booted out of games for no reason.

There's no real reason to buy it other than being bored of DotA and wanting DotA-lite. It's not a horrible game or something, it's just really average and definitely not worth the current price tag.

Wait for a few expansions and the price to come down. If you're going to make a DotA clone, at least copy what makes DotA good.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 17:36 Bhruic

I haven't really followed the details of this game that much - is there any point to getting it if one is not interested in the MP component?  

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 17:15 Bucky

1)Potion chugging is not a problem, you can't do anything while chugging one and it can be interupted via any of the short stuns that most of the heroes have access to.

Not to mention potions come at a decent cost. If an enemy Demigod is loading up on potions he's skimping somewhere else, usually on base and minion upgrades.

2)Matching making *is* having a bit of a problem, but its much improved from yesterday even this morning and they are aware of some issues that have cropped up and seem to be fixing them.

They didn't have the servers up before today; so people who got the game early were actually overloading the beta servers. Stardock actually pulled their employees in on Monday (which they were supposed to have off) to get the servers up earlier to cope with the load.

Brad has also stated that they plan on getting one or two patches out the door in the next couple of weeks to address any bugs or balance issues that pop up. This is in addition to the Day 0 patch that they put out based on testing after the game had gone gold.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 17:03 Sheltem

Verno, I'm not sure where you are getting your impressions from. I've been playing it for a couple of days now (picked up a GS streetdate breaking copy) and have been having nothing but fun.

1)Potion chugging is not a problem, you can't do anything while chugging one and it can be interupted via any of the short stuns that most of the heroes have access to.

2)Matching making *is* having a bit of a problem, but its much improved from yesterday even this morning and they are aware of some issues that have cropped up and seem to be fixing them.

3)Other then 4 of the Heroes are generals and therefore lead units that are similar across the class, they are quite different in abilities. I'm curious what you think has to happen to make them different.

4)That being said, there are some small ping issues, mostly with people being ejected from a game much too quickly for a small internet burp.

I've really enjoyed the product overall, the pacing of combat is quite nice and its very open about what it is trying to be.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 17:02 Caveman

First review btw.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Games/Reviews/Demigod_review/

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 16:52 Bucky

I had a blast playing this yesterday, since Stardock released the digital download early to pre-order and beta people. I haven't played enough yet to give any sort of fair impression (only skirmish against the AI last night) but I will say that it made me lose track of several hours.  

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 16:28 MrBone

Verno, how long have you been playing it? Since the early beta or for a few days?  

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 15:20 Verno

I can give you MP impressions right now since the singleplayer game is not even worthy of being called that. Potion chugging is a serious problem, balance isn't even close to there yet and at least three of the heroes play far too similarly to others even with other talents. Doesn't seem to be any dedicated servers, all games are P2P like battle.net but with a worse latency control system for clients.

It's somewhat fun in short spurts but paying for this is like begging to be fleeced for a beta product.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 15:11 Tumbler

I'd like to try this, hopefully there will be a demo shortly. Anxious to hear impressions of the MP side.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:38 Wolfox

After reading their gamer's bill of rights and seeing news of their GOO DRM, my general impression of Stardock's claim of no DRM is they really mean "our DRM isn't implemented via drivers!"

That sounds about right. They do have DRM, but it's "DRM Lite", so to speak. Stardock claims that the CD/DVD versions are DRM-Free (and they are), but if you want to get patches (and you usually NEED to - for instance, the DVD version of Demigod doesn't have LAN play enabled), you're forced to use Impulse (and hence, its own flavor of activation), which is definitely a form of DRM. It's less intrusive, and driver/rootkit free, but still DRM.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:29 SBlat

Like all Stardock games, the retail version of the game contains no DRM or copy protection

Does it really not include DRM? Because I bought GalCiv2 via Impulse a while ago, and after the online authentication via Impulse to install, I had to perform online activation to run the game. After reading their gamer's bill of rights and seeing news of their GOO DRM, my general impression of Stardock's claim of no DRM is they really mean "our DRM isn't implemented via drivers!"

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:14 dryden555

an RTS game that looks especially generic

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:12 spindoctor

on another board a stardock rep has confirmed that there will be a demo, but no date for it yet.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:01 DangerDog

This game looks boring and the art direction doesn't do anything for me either.

sounds like this could have been an alternate game mode for Supreme Commander, not really worthy of a game by itself.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 13:56 Verno

There's no demo because the game is fairly bland and uninteresting. It's not bad but definitely far from good and certainly not worth it's asking price. I posted a little mini review in the other Demigod thread for anyone interested.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 13:52 Prez

Maybe they are counting on pirate bay downloads to provide the "demo" of the game?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo