Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Six Days in Fallujah Announcement

Konami officially announces Six Days in Fallujah, the third-person shooter, which has caused quite an uproar since it was first revealed here, a trend that doesn't look like it's ending soon if Peter Tamte's recent comments that the game will include a contribution from insurgents (thanks GamePolitics) are any indication. Here's the official announcement:

El Segundo, Calif. - April 14, 2009 - Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., announced today that Six Days in Fallujah is currently in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. Developed by Atomic Games, Six Days in Fallujah is a new third person shooter experience that puts the player in the center of the largest urban military operation in four decades. Six Days in Fallujah combines the action of a military shooter with the realism of a documentary film to create a new kind of experience that is both historical and engaging. Partnering with over three dozen US Marines to help develop the game along with unprecedented access to battle plans, after action reports, photos, videos and satellite maps makes this game the most authentic military shooter to date. Coupled with missions, objectives and scenarios grounded in factual events, Six Days in Fallujah will create an authentic 3rd person shooter unlike any ever developed.

"Six Days in Fallujah creates a very compelling interactive experience," said Brian Christian, Vice President of Product Development for Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. "We are creating a 3rd person shooter unlike any other by combining a brand new game engine, authentic weaponry, missions and combat set against the gripping story of the US Marines on the ground."

Six Days in Fallujah lets players experience the historic battle of Fallujah as a US Marine fire-team leader and places them in the heat of the action against the insurgency. Players are able to physically shape the battlefield just as US Marines did during the battle in Fallujah. Create new lines of attack by kicking in doors, blowing up walls, eliminating enemy cover and destroying the environment around them. To make the battle even more authentic, heavy emphasis has been put into the environments using real world satellite maps, weapons from US Marines and vehicles used in the conflict to fully immerse players in this epic confrontation and experience what it was like to be a Marine on the ground. In addition, Six Days in Fallujah will include multiplayer functionality - allowing players to team up with other fire team members in co-op and online modes.

Six Days in Fallujah is scheduled to be released in 2010 on Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION®3 system and Windows PC.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 16, 2009, 00:09 Sepharo

A rare post where space captain says something that makes sense.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 15, 2009, 16:47 space captain

To the jerkoffs who support this game I only have one question, is it just because you hate America or love terrorists?

its not as complex as "america" or "terrorists".. i hate everyone like YOU, no matter where they live or what they do

i support freedom you pathetic swine

Go forth, and kill!

30. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 15, 2009, 12:42 Paranoid Jack

LMAO, hypocritical much? You sound like quite a few of the younger blokes I drank with in the pubs while I lived in jolly old England. I'm afraid like them you've let movies and the telly influence your thought process.

Let me fix this one for you, ok?

American movies seem to try and change events to suit them. Some would have you believe that American forces found the only enigma machine during the war and that America won the war by themselves.

There that's better?

This next one... I can't really fix because though you may be right to a degree you have totally forgotten your own countries history. I know we all do it from time to time. Do some reading and stop watching programing and/or movies expecting them to be the truth or even factual.

"You americans go on about war with terror, well us brits have had the IRA for years while you lot were giving them funds, as the IRA had a charity over in NY and you gave them money even knowing who they were, but at the time "YOU DIDNT GIVE A SHIT COS IT WASN'T IN YOUR BACK GARDEN." Now you want us to give a shit??"

Why do you think the IRA is doing what they are doing? Hmmm? I'm not saying it's right. And I surely don't agree but if I'm not mistaken your country took control of their country. Again read something besides comic books... though some of them can be quite entertaining.

"I believe that you caused the war with terror as you invaded the countries going off intel that Mr(moron)Bush had."

http://www.computerbytesman.com/privacy/blair.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgy_dossier

Guess who was right there with us? Oh, but it was W's fault wasn't it? And do you think he was the one collecting that Intel? You do realize that he had numerous advisers and numerous agencies feeding him that info? Just like your own PM. Do you blame Tony Blair also?

"All i can say is that i wouldn't and never thought that the terrorists attacked the twin towers, I know all about physics and them towers didnt look like they fell down by themselves, it didnt make sense by the way they fell and at the speed they fell or how it could fall with the building structure as it was. Ok you saw 2 planes go into them but that isnt enough to bring them down. After reading the 911 report all i can say is that you have alot of very powerful people in your country who can hide anything."

Oh, boy! I think I watched the same program that you did. But I didn't come away with a degree in structural engineering as it appears you did. How's that working out for you? Have you landed any good jobs yet?

No country is perfect. The US has done a lot of stupid shit in the past but to think your country (or any other) hasn't is just retarded. Governments do what they deem best to protect their interests. That doesn't make it right.

I'm wondering what you think about the current administration? Please, enlighten me. I'm bored. One tip though use a spell checker next time... you won't seems so poorly educated.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 13:35.

29. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 15, 2009, 04:41 Jackplug

Do i love or hate America hmm thats a tricky one,lets go for WW2 shall we. Americans seem to try and change events to suit them and some of them believe that they found the enigma machine and won the war by themselves. Well you didnt come into the war until 3yrs later, instead of helping us british out with supplies while we were being bombed to shit, you sold us the supplies and not at bargin prices either and i can go on and on about it.

You americans go on about war with terror, well us brits have had the IRA for years while you lot were giving them funds, as the IRA had a charity over in NY and you gave them money even knowing who they were, but at the time "YOU DIDNT GIVE A SHIT COS IT WASN'T IN YOUR BACK GARDEN." Now you want us to give a shit??

I believe that you caused the war with terror as you invaded the countries going off intel that Mr(moron)Bush had. All i can say is that i wouldn't and never thought that the terrorists attacked the twin towers, I know all about physics and them towers didnt look like they fell down by themselves, it didnt make sense by the way they fell and at the speed they fell or how it could fall with the building structure as it was. Ok you saw 2 planes go into them but that isnt enough to bring them down. After reading the 911 report all i can say is that you have alot of very powerful people in your country who can hide anything.

So my answer would be hate, well I dont hate you i feel sorry for you cos your nothing more than a gun 'ho' bunch of idiots who just want the oil, satisfied!

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 04:46.

28. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 23:10 Sepharo

I just keep reading all these outraged posts in Stephen Colbert's voice...

It'll make it easier to rest tonight if I pretend there isn't THAT much crazy out in the world.

27. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 22:13 Cutter

To the jerkoffs who support this game I only have one question, is it just because you hate America or love terrorists?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 21:23 StreetPreacher

All this "holier than thou" outrage is idiotic. People are allowed to make any damn game they want, and the rest of us are free to buy it or don't. It's that simple.

And people have been making Iraq-based video games for years, so all these whiners are quite late to the party.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 21:23.

25. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 20:56 CJ_Parker

Yeah, I can see how it must be extremely fun to kick open doors and find terrified civilians hiding inside. Hell, lets just blow the place so we can make a new attack route. The civi's will respawn, right? Are the homes going to be vacant like in most FPS's? That's the only way to be accurate and realistic. I mean, you can't simply destroy a building if you aren't sure if there are civilians hiding inside, right?

Actually it's much more simple than that. In the real battle of Fallujah they just declared that any person left in the city after a certain point of time was to be considered as an insurgent. This meant that at least officially there were no civilians in Fallujah at the time of the offensive. Anyone who was still in the city was a terrorist by default, no matter if they were three years or ninety years old, male, female or whatever.
Then when the real insurgents started to fight back a little bit too hard for the taste of the US command they decided to just get it over with and ordered the city to be showered with white phosphorus which killed thousands of civilians and their homes. Oops. Insurgents and their hideouts I mean.

24. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 20:06 Flatline

As I watched the gunfire on screen, I should have been wondering what it was like to actually be in the shoes of those soldiers. But as I sat staring, I instead wondered whether the Marines had bothered to observe that building for civilian inhabitants before demolishing it. I wondered how any Marine that got shot in Iraq could endorse a game based on Fallujah where you can be hit by a hail of bullets and walk away.

Awesome. You know you suck when your "controversial" game raises less moral quandaries than Bioshock did with harvesting the little sisters.

This is a tacky game, and was designed to be tacky and shocking to push copies of the game.

23. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 19:28 Kosumo

I played games in the 80's that where based on Vietnam, Platoon comes to mind, to qoute/paste from wikipedia

A video game was produced by Ocean Software for various formats. The Nintendo Entertainment System version was ported and published by Sunsoft. Loosely based on the film, the object of the game is to survive in the Vietnamese jungle against guerrilla attacks.

It was a good game for the time, here's a link to a youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfsY4CnJzA&feature=related

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 19:33.

22. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 19:24 the_culture

And yet developers were extremely hesitant to make Vietnam games up until very recently.

I think the unpopularity of the war has more to do with that (and the style of warfare that took place) rather than "sufficient time elapsing." WWII has been glamorized by the media (books, films, games), partly because people see it as America coming off victorious.

I personally don't think people are upset with this game because it's a recent event. I think it has to do with what the war represents and how it's portrayed in the media.

21. Re: glorious deaths Apr 14, 2009, 19:21 space captain

I hope you're having fun, where's your uniform? where's your gun?
better rub up that suntan oil 'cause you'll be fighting in the desert in the hot sun
it's not..vietnam - its just another oil company scam
salute that flag for uncle sam
get your money out - place your bets
it's afghanistan!!
fix bayonets, check grenades
got enough bullets - got enough rounds to wipe out this place
We're the infantry and the cavalary
parachutes fill the skies as bodies burn and people die

- circle jerks, 1980

http://www.seeqpod.com/search/?plid=466f94ca1e

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 19:16 Prez

Your sarcasm isn't really necessary. FYI, WW2 was more than 10 years ago.

But seriously, did you notice that the first real Vietnam games didn't start shipping until only a few years ago? Men of Valor was one of the first announced that I remember, though there were others that came about around the same time. That's a conflict that ended in 1975, with most major combat operations long since over by that time. And yet developers were extremely hesitant to make Vietnam games up until very recently.

It really has nothing to do with who they may upset; it has more to do with good taste and respect I think.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 19:08 the_culture

The distinction is quite clear if you think about it. WW2 is looked at in a historical context. A 3 year-old battle from a war still going on basically falls into the category of current events. Whether you consider current events to be off limits or open game for developers is a personal matter, but there is a difference.

Duly noted. I guess we can all wait a few years before we can exploit make a game based on a historical event. We wouldn't want to upset anyone who may have lost a loved one recently. However, if someone lost a loved one 10+ years, well, then... that's okay.

18. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 18:58 space captain

all these whiners need to spend Six Days Licking My Balls  
Go forth, and kill!

17. No subject Apr 14, 2009, 18:57 nin

AH-hahahahahahahahaha!

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1110

Immediately it was apparent that Six Days is not aiming for a very realistic take on modern warfare. I never did imagine that Atomic would create a plodding, Operation Flashpoint-esque shooter in the sacrifice of action-packed combat. But considering the extensive marketing on the point of realism, I certainly didn't expect to see soldiers running out into the middle of the street during a firefight, taking a half-dozen bullets in the chest, and then regenerating their health safely behind cover. Not in a planned demonstration for press, at least.

In fact, from what Konami showed us, Six Days is far closer to Gears of War than America's Army. It has the same Gears D-pad weapon selection, the same style of cover system, and the same action-oriented gameplay.

Calling the game "Iraq War Rampage," and lending it the standard shooter setup and exploitative marketing, would be one thing. By picking a specific battle, claiming some level of historical accuracy, and using the faces of real Marines to market the game, Konami and Atomic have created the expectation that Six Days will represent a portrait of warfare that is a good deal more mature than that of Contra. And judging from this early glimpse, there is little evidence of that promise.

Based on the demonstration, I'm skeptical of how effective this strategy will be. As I watched the gunfire on screen, I should have been wondering what it was like to actually be in the shoes of those soldiers. But as I sat staring, I instead wondered whether the Marines had bothered to observe that building for civilian inhabitants before demolishing it. I wondered how any Marine that got shot in Iraq could endorse a game based on Fallujah where you can be hit by a hail of bullets and walk away.

By the end, I was left wondering what Konami was thinking.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 18:51 Prez

And what about the countless millions who've died since WWII. No one seems to have a problem with those games.

The distinction is quite clear if you think about it. WW2 is looked at in a historical context. A 3 year-old battle from a war still going on basically falls into the category of current events. Whether you consider current events to be off limits or open game for developers is a personal matter, but there is a difference.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 17:40 Bhruic

Dan Rosenthal, the Iraq vet at Gameslaw.net said it best....

Actually he said it pretty stupidly. Unless, of course, he's suggesting that the "over three dozen US Marines to help develop the game" have worked to kill Marines in real life. I know that friendly fire is a reality, but if he's suggesting they killed other Marines on purpose, well, I'm pretty sure some of them would like a word with him.

14. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 17:26 Jackplug

3rd person in this enviroment will be shit, it needs 1st person like in cod to be any good. 3rd person is for consoles..

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 17:41.

13. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 16:52 Cutter

These guys are fucking scumbags. Period. Not only should everyone boycott this game. Someone should strongly "consider" burning their offices to the ground.

Dan Rosenthal, the Iraq vet at Gameslaw.net said it best....

Absolutely unbelievable that Peter Tamte and [creative director] Juan Benito would try to make an "entertainment" experience about a war that we're actively fighting, while soliciting advice and input on how to best kill Marines in game, from people who have worked to kill Marines in real life. The hypocrisy and double-speak coming out of Atomic's leadership is beyond unbelievable.

The game is a "communications tool".....a communications tool for who? The insurgency? And then out of the other corner of their mouths, they try to pass the game off as a "telling of stories"; but that's a rude slap in the face to the approximately 100 Marines who died in the battles of Fallujah when the "story-telling" game includes Halo-style health regeneration. I'm pretty sure I don't remember that being standard issue when I was in Iraq.

Everyone needs to stop by Konami and drop them an email telling them to drop this game and/or go fuck themselves.

Edit: Maybe it's time to start talking to other people to start a boycott of Konami.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 17:20.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo