Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Demigod Early

Demigod is early announces the Impulse Website has word that GameStop apparently broke the street date for Demigod last week, and so the game is now live and can now be purchased on Impulse, though it still won't be in stores until tomorrow. This resulted in folks from Stardock having to rush into work on a holiday weekend to turn on and configure the game's multiplayer matchmaking servers. The post also points out this will be an interesting test case for their theories that "intrusive, obnoxious copy protection will result in more sales than we lose from people who don’t want to mess with it," as the game carries no DRM:

Imagine if Demigod had shipped with some nasty retail copy protection and got released early. Someone “cracks” it but doesn’t do a good job and the game ends up crashing randomly or something. Most people would just assume the game was buggy and that would likely cause more lost sales than the initial piracy did.

The good news, however, is that we’ll get to actually see the effects of piracy. Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Demigod Early Apr 16, 2009, 03:53 monkay

Damn. That's the same problem with DOW2, casual and imbalances etc. Seems like when it comes to competitive RTS, Blizzard is still the only hope.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 23:05 eRe4s3r

Nah you mistunderstood that, in steam paying with paypal does me nothing because i am not able to buy in $ and pay with € (reaping in the exchange rate advantage)

Impulse demands the true exchange rate of $ to € as payment via paypal (unlike steam where $ = 1:1 = € ) meaning impulse is apr. 20% cheaper

And yeah, for UK citizens thats not an advantage, because the pound is weak

22. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 14:02 theyarecomingforyou

I think that's stretching the definition a bit. DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's publishers telling you how you are allowed to use your software. How many times you can install it, for example. A CD-key doesn't do this, it simply verifies that players are legitimate customers.
A CD-key is used to verify whether you are entitled to use the software. I never said it was an oppressive form of DRM but it is DRM nonetheless.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 12:37 Verno

It's a pretty boring DotA clone with less variety, no last hits or lane control. My buddy from work bought it and let me play around with it. The problem with DotA is the community is terrible. The problem with Demigod is that they only take the casual aspects of DotA and left out all of the variety. The maps are boring and bland, line of vision is basically just a small circle around your hero.

There's only 8 heroes which is bad enough by itself but I could stand it if they were well balanced because at least they each have three "talent" trees they can use. They are not well balanced unfortunately and to add insult to injury about 3-4 of the heroes all play exactly like eachother.

The Demigod version of the "towers" take far too long to kill, resulting in long drawn out matches with little variety. It's far too easy for heroes to escape eachother. The ability to upgrade NPC's sounds nice on paper but it's one of those things that doesn't work out well in-game.

Performance is acceptable on a high end machine but sluggish and painful on low end boxes. The engine itself is no big accomplishment so the game feels like a rushed beta product as a result. Multiplayer uses some weird P2P system where if one person lags, you all do. For those who played DotA, it's like when someone got DC'd in-game and you all had to sit waiting or click the DC button.

Impulse itself had a few problems as well, though it's hard to tell if those were simply due to launch day issues or not. I like the idea of Impulse but the implementation is unproven in my mind so far, time will tell.

So basically it feels very rushed, bland and there is a distinct lack of variety. It CAN be fun but the feeling is fleeting and I can imagine running through all of the hero combinations in a few weeks at best. The game is not worth it's asking price in my opinion based on my play experience. There's just not enough meat on the bone.

20. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 12:22 Flo

CD Keys are pretty OK for me.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

19. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 12:17 Jerykk

Exactly. CD-keys are a form of DRM.

I think that's stretching the definition a bit. DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's publishers telling you how you are allowed to use your software. How many times you can install it, for example. A CD-key doesn't do this, it simply verifies that players are legitimate customers.

18. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 07:51 theyarecomingforyou

Can i just say how DAMN HAPPY i am that impulse accepts paypal? And doesn't lock me to my country currency? This might very well be my main deciding point to never again even touch steam.
Huh? Steam accepts PayPal. I can understand the currency gripe but living in the UK many games work out cheaper than buying in US dollars, though still usually more than retail. Demigod is cheaper at retail than buying online.

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. Sure, technically it's DRM free, but then again what is a CD-key for MP if not DRM?
Exactly. CD-keys are a form of DRM.

No, we don't get to "actually see the effects of piracy." We'll get yet another single case, with no equivalent control...just like every other game ever released. It's just not possible to ever "see the effects of piracy" unless and until we can fork the timestream and try selling the same game both ways.
Exactly. Saying they believe the game to be "outstanding" and with a "wide appeal" does not mean it will sell, DRM-free or not. The only thing high or low sales of this game will tell us is whether it sold a lot or a little - it has little bearing in the DRM debate.

Also, is it really a good thing that they released the game early and had to panic rush staff in on a holiday to deal with it? I'd have a serious word with the cunts over at GameStop, as they seem to be doing everything in their power to fuck over the gaming industry for their own benefit. Unfortunately I doubt there's much that can be done. If Stardock were to delay shipments to them to prevent early sale GameStop could just refuse to stock the game or give it less shelf space and reduce sales.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 07:33 Bill Borre

@ cutter & caveman

Why not just download the game, and if you like it, buy it?

16. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 04:38 Z9000

Here's the first review I have seen, may be more out there:

http://cheatcc.com/pc/rev/demigodreview2.html

Summary: 8 Demigods. A lot of strategic depth. Choice to play front line with Demigod, or sit back and make units. No real story. Single player is an AI driven multiplayer (skirmish). Diablo-like in skill trees and some items. Dota like in gameplay. Resources automated. Sadly no discussion of performance yet, but I did see someone on another forum state they got it last week and it can tap resources on a strong mid-range machine.

I will be picking this up as I like GPG stuff and I passed on DoW2 (I am pretending Space whatever never happened, see, I don't even remember its name hehe). DRM lite (code and registration) with probable additional generals/arenas at a later date (may be paid DLC).

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2009, 07:20.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

15. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 03:11 Cutter

demo? Demo? DEMO?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 03:10 Flo

Some words about performance on lower end machines would be nice - the system requirements on the stardock page are pretty low.  

13. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 02:35 monkay

I need some impressions and I need 'em now!

Seconded. After the letdown by DOW2, I'm on the look out for a RTS to fill the gap. How's Demigod?

12. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 01:51 Flo

I need some impressions and I need 'em now!  

11. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 01:07 Jerykk

I think the next I'll play with is Lord Erebus, the Vampire Lord. I hope he isn't a Malkavian, though.

If Malkavians were in Demigod, I'd buy five copies.

10. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:55 Scottso

Can I just say I'm loving this game? It's a little daunting at first until you get used to the skill trees and items so you don't have to spend crazy amounts of time deciding what to get. But it's boatloads of fun and oddly addicting. I'm definitely leaning more towards the Assassins than the Generals. The generals require way too much micromanagement, imho.  

9. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:54 Wolfox

This game is fun. My favorite demigod so far is Torchbearer... It's fun to freeze your enemies in one game, and fry them in the next.

Still gotta try the other demigods, though. I think the next I'll play with is Lord Erebus, the Vampire Lord. I hope he isn't a Malkavian, though.

8. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:19 Jerykk

It's just not possible to ever "see the effects of piracy" unless and until we can fork the timestream and try selling the same game both ways.

Exactly. This is why I chuckle whenever someone claims to have evidence of the effects of piracy. It's impossible unless you have two parallel universes to test, one with piracy and one without.

7. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:05 RP

Stardock rewards paying customers through a)Impulse downloads b)excellent support and patches. By registering your key, you get access to those features.

Contrast this with install limits and stupid DRM which punish people for spending money on a product.

6. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:03 Warskull

I get that Stardock thinks pirates don't buy games...but they don't actually have any evidence to support that belief. I am rather impressed that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is, though. OTOH, so do those companies that do use DRM (put their money where their mouth is, that is).

I think what Stardock believes is "DRM doesn't make pirates buy games." So why bother legitimate users with it, if it isn't working?

5. Re: Demigod Early Apr 13, 2009, 23:59 ViRGE

I get that Stardock thinks pirates don't buy games...but they don't actually have any evidence to support that belief. I am rather impressed that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is, though. OTOH, so do those companies that do use DRM (put their money where their mouth is, that is).
I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. Sure, technically it's DRM free, but then again what is a CD-key for MP if not DRM? Either release a SP-only game like Bioshock or Braid, or release a MP game that doesn't require keys, and then get back to me. It's easy to say "people don't pirate our game" when it's a MP-focused game that requires a key.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo