Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash

The Starbreeze Forums and Atari Forums for The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena each have threads complaining about the game's DRM, describing a non-revocable three-installation limit that does not allow further installations after it has been reached. This has inspired another protest centered on the reviews on the Amazon listing for the game, where an increasing number of reviews complain about the DRM. We contacted Atari about this and received the following response:

The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine. The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you donít change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system.

If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if itís a legitimate request you can get a new activation code.

We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

70. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 19:01 SCG

Don't get me wrong, I hate install limits, but using this as a reason to pirate the game is bullshit rationalizing, and using it as a reason not to buy the game seems way overboard. That's just me though..

Remember boys and girls, when you buy the game, some of the money is going to pay the salary of the guy to decided to put in SecuROM. And when he's talking to his boss, your sale is part of reason he's gonna defend SecuROM, thus Atari will make more games with SecuROM. So ultimately buying the game means you're giving future sales indirectly to SecuROM.

Enjoy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 18:55 SCG

" Changing GPU and CPU could also invalidate a license, not sure though..

Yes, they do especially for the CPU because those have serial numbers."

Actually so do GPUs. They have a GUID. Actually all hardware that conforms to the Plug-and-Play standard does aka all hardware made past 1993 (I think). PnP uses the GUID uniquely identify nearly every piece of hardware on your PC. So that's how these DRM technology program a "PC Signature".

68. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 18:29 Overon

Word on the pirate forums is that it uses solidshield+tages+online activation. The new version of tages that is supposedly hard to crack so it may delay the crack. But they issued a challenge to all the crackers. Maybe it will delay the pirates for some time to protect the initial few weeks of release. We shall see.

Also, if you read the reviews, the assault on dark athena portion of the game is weak compared to the remake of escape from butchers bay. Some reviewers are calling it escape from buthers bay 1.5 highlighting how weak the dark athena portion is.

67. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 18:27 Optimaximal

And it was all going so well... Who'd have thought Atari would manage too go so far to make people want a game only to AGAIN fuck it up at the final hurdle.

Might as well write off Ghostbusters too.

66. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:47 Nucas

there goes another probable purchase into the bowels of isohunt for me.
it's telling to me as commentary on this drm thing that i went from a lifelong collector to.. well, i'm still a collector, just that the only longevity comes from scene releases.

A good number did,period. You guys shoot the very thing that makes the games you like. No different than Obama, taxing the so called rich, guess what...the so called rich pays your checks!:)
the proleteriat disgust me as well, they should know their place and offer up profits without question as is their lot. you're a fucking walking cliche, i don't know where to start

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 17:49.

65. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:37 HellSlayer

A good number did,period. You guys shoot the very thing that makes the games you like. No different than Obama, taxing the so called rich, guess what...the so called rich pays your checks!:)  
o0

64. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:29 nin

Well we all burned the game took the key and then took it back.

No, we all didn't.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

63. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:25 HellSlayer

Ok time to vent:) I remember the days when you could take back a game you didn't like. What stopped that? Well we all burned the game took the key and then took it back. With most doing that they had to stop letting us take the games back. Can you blame them? I can't!Now because of people without a moral compass(at that time me included)we are stuck with a purchase even if the game was all hype. Ok, we warez half the games now and what do you expect? The question should be when will we learn?  
o0

62. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:23 Wolfox

@Metasparks:

Other people answered your questions better than I could possibly do. But there's a few comments I'd like to add.

1) if you want new activation codes, how do you get them? There are no explicit rules anywhere, and it would probably come down to calling Atari (by phone). In my case, that would mean paying international rates to (maybe) play the game I purchased legitimally, while a pirate doesn't even have that kind of hassle. Do you think that's reasonable?

Also, you asked if Atari would just want to rip you off - yes, they do, or they wouldn't have considered DRM to start with. Most people won't even know that new activations can be requested; when they run out, some people won't bother, some people will buy the game again. In both cases, Atari will still have the money you gave for a game you can't play. So, who is ripping who off?

2) most people that buy the game won't know they can run out of activations until they actually do. That happened to my father with an EA game. He is (rightfully so) angry at EA now, and will not buy its products anymore because of that. Technically-savvy consumers may work around this kind of DRM (and research about it before buying), but most people will only be hurt by it, unknowingly, because Atari/EA/whatever doesn't even bother to inform the consumer on the kind of "protection" they bundled with the game, or make clear, fair rules to ensure you have the right to play the game you purchased.

3) There's a very fine line between being understanding and gullible. I'd say you're probably walking that line, but I may be wrong.

In any case, if it's Atari's right to forcefully limit my rights when playing their games (and that is debatable), it's my right to not let them do that. I will not pirate the game either; I will just not play it, buy it, or recommend it to anyone. I'll use my money on DRM-free games, and make it clear to the publishers/developers that lack of DRM is important to me as an honest, paying customer. And I'll hope for a DRM-free future, which seems not so likely, but a man can dream, can't he?

61. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:17 Lokust

Another promising game just went from must-buy to must-pirate. Thanks Atari.  

60. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:59 Kxmode

When will they learn?

My policy is to avoid anything with DRM; including Steam... (waits for Steam zealots to begin foaming at mouth).

59. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:56 space captain

And fuck the devs, right?

not just the devs, fuck EVERYONE

Mwahaha

Go forth, and kill!

58. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:50 Grooves

Creston

These Devs you love so much....do you think they give a rat's fucking ass about YOU? Hell no they don't. They just want to get paid. They just want your dollar.

I just want VALUE for my money. And part of that VALUE is weighed in how much bullshit is attached to a product I buy. It's a give and take relationship. You don't understand that on any level. I GIVE them my money. I WANT a game. That's all. No bullshit attached. Too bad they couldn't do that. Many other Devs/Publishers do.

But to answer your question, no I don't care about the dev's. They are the least of my worries. The devs can take care of themselves...or wait...maybe they can't with such lousy activation scams in their game.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 16:51.

57. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:46 Grooves

"Seriously, how many times are you going to upgrade major components in the life span of a game installed on your machine? By the time you get around to doing so, the game will have already been dated and you'd have moved on to the next game."

Care about your liberties much?

The fact is it's my RIGHT to play with my machine as often as I fucking want. Do you even understand that? Since I have money to spend on parts I upgrade all the time. Doesn't matter though. Even if I reformat my drive and reinstall my OS once a week that's my right to do so.

It however is NOT their right to take my $50 and then tell me what to do with that product. Who are they kidding here? What buffoon would buy a car and then let the car company tell you which streets you can drive it on or better yet only allow you 3 modifications to the engine? Come on people. Wake up please.

People are not buying this game because of the activation scam. That alone tells you it was a bad idea. End of story. Period.

56. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:45 Creston

They absolutely deserve the rampant piracy this game will receive now.

Creston

55. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 16:44 Creston

Creston! The RIAA just called! Have they got a deal for you!!!

Really? Awesome!!

Afterwards I actually realized that cellular companies also treat their customers like this. So I should amend my statement to saying "one of the FEW industries that treats its customers like shit and gets away with it (so far.)"

The RIAA may be a bunch of cockwallets, but you can pretty much buy music nowadays the way you want it. Per song, per album, in packs, cheaper with DRM or a little more expensive without DRM.

For all the shit they get (most of it deserved), the RIAA is a fucking SAINT compared to the gaming industry.

Creston

54. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:40 Grooves

Fuck you and your legitimate request.

Who the fuck is Atari to tell me when and how often I reinstall a game I paid you for. I will now go download the game.

I will NEVER buy a game with any kind of limited activation. You are a fucking tool if you do.

Any of you defending this action are so absurdly clueless you don't even deserve an explanation about why you are so wrong.

They absolutely deserve the rampant piracy this game will receive now.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 16:42.

53. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 16:28 GT

The RIAA just called! Have they got a deal for you!!!
Aa bad as the RIAA is at least it learned its lesson over DRM in music. Sure it may be overpriced, but at least the RIAA offers its music without DRM. The software industry and especially the games branch of it has yet to learn that lesson en masse.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 16:30.

52. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 16:22 GT

Pirating it is just proving to them that their actions are valid.
Actually pirating should prove to them that their actions are pointless. If they were valid and effective, there would be no piracy. If they can't understand that, then they should get out of the business. And, if piracy is hurting their business as bad as they claim, it won't take long.

51. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 16:04 nin

The software industry is really the only industry that I can think of that treats its paying customers like shit.

Creston! The RIAA just called! Have they got a deal for you!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo