Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash

The Starbreeze Forums and Atari Forums for The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena each have threads complaining about the game's DRM, describing a non-revocable three-installation limit that does not allow further installations after it has been reached. This has inspired another protest centered on the reviews on the Amazon listing for the game, where an increasing number of reviews complain about the DRM. We contacted Atari about this and received the following response:

The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine. The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you donít change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system.

If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if itís a legitimate request you can get a new activation code.

We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

10. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:22 Wolfox

But if you can install it on three different machines as many times as you like, than that's completely acceptable!

Read again: if you change/upgrade any major components of a given machine, it will be considered a new machine. So, upgrade your computer three times and you'll run out of activations. Does that sound acceptable?

Further, they will allow you to legitimately request new codes if you reach maximum. This doesn't seem that restricting at all!

It is: you shouldn't have to ask politely to be able to reinstall and play a game that you bought. Also, you have no idea of how responsive Atari's support is - you may request new activations and find out that such emails are actually sent to /dev/null. And, finally, they are not REQUIRED to give you new codes - they MAY or MAY NOT, depending on what THEY decide. If for some reason they find you suspicious enough (no evidence required), they might just say "no" and leave you with a $50 dollar coaster.

They recaptured my purchase.

Well, some people are more gullible than others...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:20 Mysdrial

Is the "Atari Hotline" a toll free number?

I almost want to buy the game and reinstall windows everyday just to phone them and bitch. I wonder how many times people would have to phone before the cost would counteract any "phantom profits" they think they're getting from using DRM.

Ah, screw it, I'll just pirate it. My time's more valuable than that

8. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:15 Slashman

What the hell were they thinking? People were actually looking forward to this game. They are hurting themselves by hurting the people who WANT to support them.

Can the human race get any more stupid?

7. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:14 Metasparks

I don't see what the big deal is here, guys. At first, it sounded as if you could only install the game three times, and that's it. That would be horrible!

But if you can install it on three different machines as many times as you like, than that's completely acceptable! Further, they will allow you to legitimately request new codes if you reach maximum. This doesn't seem that restricting at all! They recaptured my purchase. Hopefully, it will be on Steam... who said it wouldn't be anyways?!

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 12:14.

6. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:13 Jackplug

all i can say is that it will increase piracy, cos noone wants to
mess around thinking abt how many times have i installed it!!

5. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:10 Parallax Abstraction

You'd think given the "concessions" other publishers have had to make on this issue given the huge backlash against this type of measure, Atari wouldn't be so stupid as to take a huge step backwards like this. I was planning to buy this for PC but I will now only rent this on the 360 (a version which as people have mentioned elsewhere, was pirated well before release and before the PC version.) I can't afford many games right now but was prepared to give them my money for this one and now they've lost it. Congratulations guys.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

4. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:09 theyarecomingforyou

Chronic DRM and no Steam release? Pass.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:01 Wolfox

They lost at least one otherwise sure sale because of that: mine. I was looking forward to this game, but, with this kind of DRM, I'd rather spend my money on DRM-free games in Gog.com, Gamer's Gate or indie developers. Too bad for Starbreeze, but blame it on Atari.  

2. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:00 SirKnight

"We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy."

Yeeeeeaaahhh. Sure it will. Just like EVERY game before it, this WILL get cracked BEFORE the game is even released.

I may get this game when the price goes down but I'll be sure and have a crack ready (like I did when I bought Far Cry 2). I won't download the game illegally, but I sure as hell will crack it so I don't end up in a situation where I can't play it anymore. It may be sort of unlikely but still.

Having to reinstall the OS or upgrade major portions of ones PC is a very common thing. I've always had to reinstall windows at least once a year going back to win95. That's just how that OS is.

I wonder if they consider upgrading your GPU to be "major." I probably won't do it again until next year but it's still something I do "often" since that's just how I roll.

1. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 11:57 Jerykk

We implement this protection in an effort to avoid early piracy.

So... once the game is cracked and distributed through the net, you'll release a patch that removes the protection?

Didn't think so.

I was planning to buy this at full-price but now I'll have to wait until it hits the bargain bin. Disappointing.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo