Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I took my laptop on the train with me last night and had a really bad connection on the way down, at which point Norton Internet Security told me it needed to download 42 MB of patches to be happy, which was perfect timing. I have been happy with NIS 2009 after my brief problem with it cleared up, but I'm starting to think it's not the best choice for a cell-modem laptop if it can want that much patching after 11 days of non-use, which is not uncommon for me.

Uncommon Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Effing Hail.
Zombieman.
Gunslingers Gold.
Links: The Top 7... Most embarrassing live-action game scenes.
6 Crappy Items Marketed Towards Gamers.
Stories: Spock’s Surprise Appearance at ‘Star Trek’ Screening. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Footballer given yellow card 'for breaking wind' during penalty shot. Thanks Boing Boing.
Japan sewage yields more gold than top mines. Thanks Digg.
Science: New discovery may end transplant rejection. Thanks Slashdot.
New Array Captures Redoubt Volcano Lightning. Thanks j.c.f.
Chimps Exchange Meat for Sex, Study Finds. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Guitar Superhero.
Media: Opposite day... in court.
Phoenix Wright Musical In Japan.
Saber, a lightsaber fight like you've never seen before.
Follow-ups: Friendly 'Death Star' Laser to Recreate Sun's Power.
Trent Reznor — Digg Dialogg.
US space tourist lands on Earth.
Military sonar blamed for mass dolphin strandings. Thanks Slashdot.
The Funnies: xkcd - Matrix Revisited.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Disappointed in you blue. Apr 11, 2009, 01:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Nis 2009 is the best security software on the market for performance and minimal ram usage without a doubt
NIS is a bloated piece of crap with a bad false detection rate and poor heuristics. There are free solutions that work better.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 22:26 Kxmode

Maybe he found geodes and just wanted to impress you?

The little geologist!

Bats your dog wouldn't by any chance happen to be called Indiana?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 20:37 banddirector

I still like the new version of Norton AV (haven't tried the internet security suite) - - it's a MUCH smaller footprint than in years past....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

28. Disappointed in you blue. Apr 9, 2009, 19:39 EvilAsh

Ok lets clear this up for you and the other uneducated.
What Av software do you know of.. likes it that you don't use your pc for weeks at a time? Of course the updates are going to be large when you got that long between updates. Nis 2009 is the best security software on the market for performance and minimal ram usage without a doubt. Also if you don't keep your pc up to date by allowing your av software to update itself on a regular basis.. do you really think its going to be prepared to protect you from the latest new worm or trojan? This mindest that many have is why I have a business thats extremely successful?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 18:41 Creston

ugh......puppy (he is 2.5 years) decides that rocks are a treat and tries to crack them open. Little knuckle head....comes running in the house all happy, missing 2 teeth and 1 cracked in half!

That sucks Bats. Dog's teeth will actually heal, so if the cracked one isn't hurting him you could just let it heal on its own, but you have to check him every day to make sure it's not getting infected.

They won't regrow old teeth (AFAIK), but he'll be fine with 2 missing.

Also, get him a bone. A nice thick heavy one. Dogs tend to chew rocks because they NEED to chew on hard things, but a bone works out a lot better.

My old lab used to chew freaking roof slates (the stone variety), and would break them in half with her teeth.

Edit : laptop keyboards suck for typing.

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 18:42.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

I would imagine that's going to be expensive...get him to the vet, pronto!

Well, they want to remove all damage.
So, tomorrow am he goes under the knife - also to get hip x-rays, so kind of a 2-1 deal.

1 tooth is missing the back of itself, 1 tooth is gone, and 1 tooth broke and only 10% of it is there. goofy pup.

$600 and change.

They haven't touched the rocks in the yard, but the older one likes to throw them, so the younger one doesn't know that she isn't chewing them, and started chewing them today. Comes in the house smiling....missing teeth but happy as hell. What a goof.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 18:33 PHJF

Maybe he found geodes and just wanted to impress you?

The little geologist!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 17:42 Kxmode

ugh......puppy (he is 2.5 years) decides that rocks are a treat and tries to crack them open. Little knuckle head....comes running in the house all happy, missing 2 teeth and 1 cracked in half!

That would be like a 17-year-old going into the backyard and munching on rocks. Yeah, that sounds about right.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 17:42.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 17:08 nin

*sigh*

I would imagine that's going to be expensive...get him to the vet, pronto!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 17:03 xXBatmanXx

*sigh*

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 17:03 Kxmode

I enjoyed it, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone that isn't a Bruce Campbell fan.

Oh! Bruce CAMPBELL. The other Bruce... Square

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 16:49 Creston

Norton... Internet... Security...

I got nothing.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 15:05 Cutter

Grr, still having problems with this RE5 Xbox bundle ad, Blue!

The Top 7... Most embarrassing live-action game scenes.
- LOL! Pure hilarity. That was just unbelievably bad.

6 Crappy Items Marketed Towards Gamers.
- Another big LOL! That gaming glove was priceless!

Spock’s Surprise Appearance at ‘Star Trek’ Screening.
- Awww, I should have been there for that. Austin thinks it's so cool!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 15:05 kanniballl

watched "My Name is Bruce" - highly recommend (for Bruce fans anyway)

Bruce LEE or Bruce WILLIS?

funny

I enjoyed it, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone that isn't a Bruce Campbell fan.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 14:55 Kxmode

watched "My Name is Bruce" - highly recommend (for Bruce fans anyway)

Bruce LEE or Bruce WILLIS?

16. Where the Wild Things Are! Apr 9, 2009, 14:36 Cutter

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/where-the-wild-things-are/trailer

Don't recall anyone else posting that. Looks pretty sweet. I anxiously await it. It's still my favourite childhood book. Let's the wild rumpus start!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 14:00 nin

Also, has he been working out? After his last tour video, i noticed that he seems to have bulked up quite a bit. I always remember Trent being a pretty skinny guy.

Once he kicked drugs in the early part of this decade, that's his new hobby...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 13:02 PHJF

BUAHAHA

I'm late in Last Remnant so a lot of the more difficult optional boss battles are turning up. I decided to give The Fiery Gates another go at Battle Rank 101 (I'd failed miserably at 96). Fiery Gates consists of 4 very powerful Boss homunculus-class groups reinforced by 4 very powerful Boss honunculus-class groups reinforced by 4 Boss homunculus-class groups and The Fiery Gates boss.

First round.... David gets Blackout V. Wipes the board.
Second round.... David gets Gae Bolg. Wipes the board.
Third round.... David gets Gae Bolg. Wipes the homunculi.

ha!

The ensuing battle with Fiery Gates was touch and go at times (I was down to 1 union up, one dead, and one enthralled at one point) but it turned out OK.

Any in case anyone is curious, the battle system is such that unique attacks (David's Gae Bolg, Arcana synergy attacks like Blackout) are available randomly. Getting three huge attacks in a row on a boss battle is most fortuitous at the very least.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 12:57 Mr. Tact

Uh, which product are you talking about InBlack?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2009, 12:42 Paranoid Jack

Funny that you posted about this today. I just got a pop up and deverted from Blues to SpywareRemover.Com but when I tried to exist the shit it was clearly spyware or worse. I got a link sent to my e-mail about this thread but when I got there the thread had no new posts. I had already seen them yesterday or the day before.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=97207

As soon as I read the last post and realized it was not a new post the warning popped up advising me I had spyware and changed from the Blue's thread to a bogus SpywareRemover.Com site.

I'm beta testing Vista 2.0 ..... I mean Windows 7 Ultimate. Has anyone else had this?

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo