Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Don't know if anyone else was watching Life on Mars, but I thought it wrapped up in a pretty cool way. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked the resolution as much if the show had gone on for years, so maybe it all was for the best. The show also ended an odd week of Dean Winters sightings, as he played little Sam's dad in the Life on Mars finale after popping up again the week before on both 30 Rock and The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Wintery Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Civiballs.
Plazma Burst.
Two Rooms.
Stories: Pets, owners challenged by increasing allergies. Yup.
Man Coughs Up Nail Stuck In His Nose For 30 Years. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Science: Signals could be from dark matter.
Jupiter's stormy Great Red Spot is shrinking.
Auctions: Wendy's Bid for Value. Reverse auctioning gaming goodies today.
NASA - Atlantis on the Launch Pad. Thanks Jim.
Media: 17 Memorable Game Explosions.
100 Seinfeld quotes set to music.
Ridiculous Red Band Trailer for Bruno! NSFW. Thanks dakslf.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. No subject Apr 4, 2009, 21:19 space captain

eggplant wizard  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2009, 01:28 zincthallinide

TAKE DA PEN  

40. Re: 24 Apr 4, 2009, 00:46 Creston

Don't y'all like the mindless action that is 24?

I do. This season has been excellent, imo.

Creston

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2009, 00:45 Creston

I was under the impression people raved about season 4, is that not the case?

If you like being so depressed after watching a show that you'll feel like slicing your own wrists, you'll LOVE season 4.

Otherwise, yeah, you might not be too happy with it. Does main characters committing suicide sound like fun?

Creston

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 22:39 Rigs

And, I mean, they had Edward James Olmos, one of the best actors ever.

I'll second that, tho I don't understand why (spoiler! if you haven't seen the last episode) they had so much fluff about his character in the final ep. What was the point of showing him puking on himself outside the bar? Only to drive home the fact that, yes, he is a human male, and all human males, at some time or another in their short lives end up puking in the dirt and then sit there and smile at the stars for hours for no apparent reason...I thought that was just common sense?

And the actor playing Baltar was amazing.

Yup, I'll second that one, too. Him, Adama, Lee and Starbuck were the only ones I really gave a damn about. But BSG would be nothing without Baltar's excellent performances...and self humiliations. I mean, even though he got smacked around every other ep, he still got the girls and stuck to his convictions...Is there a better example of what a man should be?

Back to your original thread programming,
=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

37. Re: 24 Apr 3, 2009, 22:33 Ray Marden

I really dug the first two or so years of the show.

However, some one-hundred similar seasons later , it takes a bit for me to really get into the show. Generally, I will ignore a year or two, let some time pass, and then rent a full year from Netflix and watch it all immediatley back to back.

I do enjoy the show, but the number of times this oen person saves the world or the number of inane double-crossings.....
ZOMG I DIED BUT I DID NOT DIE AND I SAVED THE WORLD BUT NOW I AM BAD!
Off to do my dailies ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 22:27 Ray Marden

It has received crital acclaim through all "four" seasons, but a significant twist occured halfway through and, at that point, it became an entirely different show.

I still think the "new" show is good in its own little existential way, but it is a shame that they could not finish the "original" series. It has a completely different tone and push to it. Some people (stupidly) thought it was too dark or tense, but that is what originally sold people on the show.

Toss in the ending (which I would argue is justified for the "new" show, but is 100% not what I wanted, to say nothing of most people) and it just compounds how much the show changed.
Then again, compared to the utter sh*t on most channels...
Vaguely following Lost, but otherwise bored with television,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 21:44 everyone

Sorry blue, but I gotta say, when I read comments like in this thread about all the troubles people have with ads, I'm glad I use AdBlock. The page is a whole lot cleaner too.

I hate ads on TV, and that's probably one of the main reasons I don't watch TV. When they try to follow me online, it just irritates me, so I'm thankful to have the tools to ignore them.

Most ads these days are just so bloody invasive, it's disgusting. I don't like seeing huge page-sprawling ads or gigantic Flash ads, or anything that makes my speakers talk to me. When I read comments about ads disrupting people's browsing experiences, that's just going way too far. If ads were less annoying, I wouldn't have a problem disabling AdBlock for sites like this. :\

34. 24 Apr 3, 2009, 21:20 banddirector

Don't y'all like the mindless action that is 24?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

33. Terminator:SCC Apr 3, 2009, 18:49 space captain

its an fairly decent show.. the characters are a bit goofy, and the attempts at artsy stylized parts are heavy handed and hokey ... but the overall storyline is somehow really interesting and the action is solid

odd mix tho

Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 17:21 nin

BSG does not.
It starts great. Season 1 is great. Season 2 is good. The test, spiral towards crappiness.

I was under the impression people raved about season 4, is that not the case?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Dark Matter Signals Apr 3, 2009, 17:19 theAntiELVIS

The signals have been deciphered:

"Please...send...batteries...for...flashlight...can't...find...car...keys"

-tAE-

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 17:12 Enahs

This is exactly why I've not watched Lost, and am waiting for the last of the BSG dvds to come out...

If it ends as good as it starts, THEN I'll watch it...

BSG does not.
It starts great. Season 1 is great. Season 2 is good. The test, spiral towards crappiness.

And, I mean, they had Edward James Olmos, one of the best actors ever. They started his character off great, as an amazing commander. But then they just did stupid stuff with it.

And the actor playing Baltar was amazing. But again, went a stupid direction with that character.

I would netflix it before you buy it.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 16:50 nin

As it is now with TV shows, it's basically like buying a book and hoping all the pages are there. (And in most cases they aren't.)

This is exactly why I've not watched Lost, and am waiting for the last of the BSG dvds to come out...

If it ends as good as it starts, THEN I'll watch it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 16:45 Creston

FWIW British channels do it when it's cheap enough - The Deadliest Catch has a different narrator for the US and UK broadcasts.

This irritates me to no end. I'm sure it's just because I'm used to them, but I love Mike Rowe's narrating for the Deadliest Catch, and I love the guy who does the US version of Mythbusters.

Then I go visit my folks in Holland and we end up watching a lot of Discovery because my wife ofcourse can't understand the dutch television. And the narrators are different and it just grates on me. Especially since the UK narrators are, imo, nowhere near as good as the US ones.

Creston

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 16:41 Creston

"Don't know if anyone else was watching Life on Mars"

It only ran for 17 episodes, so apparently not.

At least they FINISHED it (from what I can tell.)

I never watch a first season of a show anymore because I'll get invested in it, and then the fucking network cancels it after five episodes and you're left with a completely unfinished story. And if there's one thing I hate it's an unfinished story. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

They should make series that have a definite story in season 1, and allow the whole season to finish. Then if it gets enough viewers, make a second season and write a new story, basically. (or a follow-up, whatever.)

I think more people would watch new shows if they knew it would be on for at least a season and would wrap up the major points of the story at that point.

As it is now with TV shows, it's basically like buying a book and hoping all the pages are there. (And in most cases they aren't.)

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 14:25 Cutter

Watch the British comedy, No Heroics, funny as all hell.

Finally got around to watching Eastbound and Down too. I like Kenny McBride, but I don't know about the show. It certainly has funny moments, but it seems pretty depressing overall.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 3, 2009, 14:13 Dev

I edited my comment. I'm not sure how much that link will help you, because sometimes these things go through several links and sites and referrers before they end up somewhere. Anyway, I really appreciate your site. I visit it multiple times a day and its on one of my always open tabs.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 14:05  Blue 

Blue:
The page it took me to was:

Thanks much for that - I know I have a tendency to close those things so fast I can't figure out where they are from. Hopefully it can be tracked down quickly this way.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2009, 14:02 Dev

Blue:
The page the fake anti spyware ad involuntarily took me to was:
total-virusprotection dot com/xpprot/2/?a=ks125&s=mfcrxpainting&z=
Unfortunately I don't see the specific ad link that took me there, so this probalby doesn't help you much.

To all: DONT VISIT THAT SITE unless you want it to try and take over your stuff. Only visit it if you have stuff locked down, and don't use IE.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2009, 14:05.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo