Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Age of Conan Trial

This press release announces a free trial for Age Of Conan is now available, offering the chance to sample Funcom's MMORPG. They outline improvements to the game since its launch, including new content, enhanced PvP combat, improved siege warfare, enhanced performance, and more. Word is: "Funcom has also teamed up with Fileplanet and Ausgamers, and depending on which source you download from you will receive between seven to fourteen days free play time and a host of special rewards. Various websites across the world will also be doing exclusive give-aways where gamers can receive a special key that will unlock rare virtual items in addition to the free trial play time."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Still have my unopened full game box. Apr 4, 2009, 12:38 Ant

I have the retail game, but never opened its box. Can I install with the retail, do a free trial, etc. to avoid the big download?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 4, 2009, 12:17 Slink

I resubbed a few days ago and although the game has changed, it hasn't changed enough for me. Graphical bugs are still there (textures pop in and out) and you will get ganked the second you leave the town. Classes are still rather unbalanced (melee is far weaker than ranged) and some of "elite" mobs require you to group because they're so hard to kill, yet finding a group isn't the easiest because a lot of zones are empty. I'm still disappointed with it and probably cancelling again soon.  
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

21. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 3, 2009, 10:55 btallas

Checking on amazon.com now and the price for 60 day time cards is $26.99. Where are these $18 time cards you speak of?  

20. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 22:16 IQ

So how many servers are they down to? Started at 49, last i checked it was 18.  

19. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 20:09 Tumbler

It will probably take that long to download the demo.

The trial version of the game seems to be about 12.95GB. It says this is only that starter area, tortage, and you can download the rest of the game later if you like...

The download time for me off fileplanet is about 1.5MB/sec and it estimates I'll be done in about 2 hours... Just hit the 1GB mark... And it's been 5-10 min? Pretty sure this timer thing is way off but likely an hour at least for me. And I'm pretty fucking fast...

I tried applying the trial code to my old account to see if I could use that, sadly I have to start over on another account...which is frustrating to say the least. If I do like the game enough to come back I get to either continue with this guy or go back to my other account...

Luckily the 60 day time cards sell for about $18 shipped off amazon so at least playing it will be cheap...if that looks appealing after all this BS.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 20:03 HellSlayer

R.I.P  
o0

17. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 19:23 Z9000

It was fun the first character to 80 if you didn't mind grinding a lot and dealing with more bugs I have ever seen in any other MMO. After that it was a miserable existence. Not really much to do at 80. I am sure it's better now, but I doubt it's good enough. MMOs get one chance at release to capture and hold people. To me AOC was released in a pretty tragic condition. I doubt I would ever want to go back, no matter how good it got. If you have never tried it, it's worth experiencing, just don't go in to it with expectations that you will be there for an extended period of time.

Edit: Another thing that totally threw me off that game was the rampant and unhindered money sellers who spammed, mailed and took choice MMO money and item spots away from the player base to farm gold. That may have improved but I wouldn't bet on it.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2009, 19:28.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

16. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 15:29 Kxmode

Funcom has also teamed up with Fileplanet and Ausgamers, and depending on which source you download from you will receive between seven to fourteen days free play time and a host of special rewards

It will probably take that long to download the demo.

15. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 15:28 Grounded

I'll be honest, I went back and I havent stopped playing since. Three weeks straight now which beats my last attempt. Im actually having fun  

14. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 13:54 Steele Johnson

I don't see such a huge difference between the content of Disney Toontown and WoW, or any of the Final Fantasy games (which I personally enjoy). A game is a game is a game.

Exactly. It's just a different skin wrapped around the same old game. Although there is a free mmo called Atlantica Online that is quite interesting. It's turn-based Final Fantasy style grinding (i.e. requires thinking/skill). If you like turn-based Japanese RPGs, you might want to check it out.

13. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 13:35 kimbambaman

I was playing AoC until recently, its a great game, very refined now, runs smoothly with almost no show stopping bugs, and the PvP is fun. Unfortunately time constraints prevent me from playing today, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fun, combat-heavy MMO.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

12. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 13:08 Tumbler

Nice, I've been hoping to see what this game looks like now.

I'll have to reinstall it today....my god that is going to be a long install. If I remember correctly it took no less than 1.5 hours to install off the DVD's, it was INSANE. And the install folder checked in at something like 25GB. That was before all the patches so this should be interesting just seeing how f-n big this thing is now.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 12:39 Hellbinder

I play AO and it has a dev team of 11. They are still improving and adding content. The game director has weekly updates on their forum to the player base.

I seriously doubt AoC is dying. They will ultimately take the same route. A smaller focused dev team. probably aobut 20-30 people because AoC still has tens of thousands of players.

FC is a good company for long term game support. They dont drop a game becuase it only makes 5 million a year instead of the 100m they wanted. If it can pay for itself and its team and generate a little profit then they seem to be satisfied.

In other words they are a real *game* oriented company.

The Whales name is Bob.

10. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 12:36 Wallshadows

There was always a way to avoid having to enter your credit card with AoC and I'm sure any other MMO which allowed cash payments (something along those lines) could do the same. All you had to do was tick the cash payment and change the method of payment after since you won't be billed till the end of the month/days if you have that first month or trial for free.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

9. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 12:34 sauron

I don't see such a huge difference between the content of Disney Toontown and WoW, or any of the Final Fantasy games (which I personally enjoy). A game is a game is a game.

Might have to draw the line at Hello Kitty though - saccharine OD.

Kittens!

8. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 12:29 Donkey_Punch

Ya funny guys. Apparently all of you are 12 and don't have kids.

You can order Disney Toontown online just fine. They will gladly take your credit card. Try and find out how to cancel on their website. It is buried so deep you will spend a long time searching. Eventually you will give up and use their generic contact us form and even then all you get back is a form email saying you have to contact them during business hours on the phone.

7. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 11:56 sir

"I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her. Marooned for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet MMoRPG. Buried alive... buried alive."

www.khaaan.com

6. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 11:51 kibbled

Um, why were you playing Disney's toontown. Should we be worried?  

5. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 11:43 Techie714

Disney Toontown huh Jim, alright man hey here is another MMO you might enjoy as well. Oh I know it's for my kids....sure man...hehe Laugh2

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/us/

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: Free Age of Conan Trial Apr 2, 2009, 11:40 Donkey_Punch

I have never had any problems ever canceling an MMO subscription

Disney Toontown makes it as difficult as possible. You can't email them, and there isn't a way to do it online. The only way to cancel is to call the 1-800 number. A bit slimy.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo