Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FileFront Lives?

FileFront, which recently reported is was closing as of March 30, is still online, and has removed the introductory message about the planned closure. The FileFront Forums have a message from an administrator expressing a bit of mystification, but offering repeated assurances that this is not a joke, in spite of the timing, and that more information should be coming on what's going on sometime tomorrow. Thanks nucas.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 9, 2009, 18:02 Kxmode

A belated post here but now would be a great time to send Filefront a donation.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 21:24 CreamyBlood

That's great news. It's the only place I've been going to for downloads for several years now.

22. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 12:15 sc4r4b

I called it acouple posts down. One of the founders is an acquaintance of mine.  

21. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 12:08 GT

Thank god.

It still wouldn't hurt to have a mirror of all of the mod content somewhere else though especially given the current economic times.

20. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 09:06 Rosco

FileFront has been SAVED!!

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/04/02/filefront-bought-by-original-founders-stays-in-operation/

Remember last week when the file download site FileFront would be shutting down this week? Yeah . . . about that. As it turns out the site has been saved at the last minute and will stay in operation. No, a huge company didn't swoop in to buy it out. As is turns out the site was saved by its original founders.

Consoles are schwag.

19. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 03:10 Cthulhu

From http://farewell.filefront.com

FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 479'S, 12643'W Cthulhu

18. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 01:05 sc4r4b

The guys who started filefront and sold it to ZD are going to be back running things... let's hope.  

17. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 00:42 HardCore

I'd pay $5 a year.

Better yet, I'll remember to start letting sites get income when I visit with letting sites bypass the noscript plugin in firefox.

16. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 00:28 Prez

I didn't think they would last as long as they did, really. It seems sites like FF just can't make the revenue stream necessary for their existence nowadays. I'm just glad Blues is still kicking.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

15. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 2, 2009, 00:10 Narf2029

This is heartbreaking news. Their speed can't be beat. Everywhere else caps around 100k, at least for me, but the sky's the limit at FileFront apparently. A damn shame.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

14. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 23:51 Aero

Well that's kind of the point. If I can click a link, "save as/open" and then download at my full connection speed then the basic Firefox download manager is plenty. I've never had a broken on incomplete download from them and segmenting wouldn't help. It's very simple, all in one place, and well organized. So there isn't any need for 3rd party programs. It's the ideal situation really.

This is just for your standard downloading though of course, which is all I do--patches, mods, that sort of thing--rarely more than a couple hundred megabytes.

13. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 23:42 GT

that was the case for me yesterday, but the file browsing features are now fully functional again. try clearing your browser cache maybe?
Actually I hadn't check the sites again when I posted that, but it was true when I last checked the FileFront sites today at midday.

A problem that remains though is that I don't have an account on the game-specific sites' network so I can't login to them. And, I can't create an account either since the captcha image on the form isn't working anymore.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2009, 23:49.

12. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 23:39 Fion

What? FileFront is closing? That blows. They've been the absolute best download service for a while. :/  

11. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 22:29 Storm in a Teacup

Even if Filefront choked their downloads 50%, it would still be faster for me than most of the other sites. Filefront always transfers at about 90% of my connection speed, which is about as good as it gets for random downloads. Besides, their whole setup and interface is vastly superior to the competition. I'd still be perfectly happy to use it in the 300KB/s range.

If they could save money that way, it would be entirely worth it IMO if it meant saving the site.

You *do* realize they have these neat things called "download managers"? Google is your only true friend now.

10. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 22:18 Nucas

While you can't login to them and you can't browse files on them, their search feature still works to locate files, and the download links found work.
that was the case for me yesterday, but the file browsing features are now fully functional again. try clearing your browser cache maybe?

9. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 22:07 GT

Sure would be nice if it was picked up by another party, unless that party is GameSpy and FilePlanet. They would probably do the same thing they did to 3DGamers.com
I am still pissed over the "merging" of 3DGamers.com into FilePlanet. Why? Because no real merging of the site into FilePlanet was done at all. The 3DGamers.com library of files was just thrown away, and FilePlanet's excuse was that it already had about 80% of the files on its site. Well, IGN dumbasses, the ~20% of files you threw away were for obscure, old, and underserved games whose files are impossible to find elsewhere. And, now those files are lost or at least very difficult to find anywhere else.

8. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 21:59 GT

FileFront, which recently reported is was closing as of March 30, is still online, and has removed the introductory message about the planned closure
While the main FileFront website is still working, the game-specific sites (<gamename>.filefront.com) are down somewhat. While you can't login to them and you can't browse files on them, their search feature still works to locate files, and the download links found work.

However, how long all this lasts, who knows?

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2009, 22:00.

7. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 21:45 RP

FYI: There's a save FileFront effort being coordinated by these guys and rsync.net. Best of luck to them. The real question is who will ultimately end up hosting the files...  

6. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 21:29 Nucas

i've always had the best luck with both speed and consistency in downloads from fileshack, but filefront is like the internet's grand archives of modifications. the speed and ease of submitting mods to a filefront site is unparelleled. it going under would really be a disaster for a lot of more obscure mods and games that don't have any other singular communities.

hard to say what's going on, a couple days ago they killed their main file listings and forums (though you could still access downloads using the sites search functions) and now both are back up.

i've been reading accounts of people who were laid off from their jobs administrating filefront (in the most graceful fashions, just changing their swipe card access codes) and they are still very much without jobs, apparently.

5. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 21:12 Rosco

And speaking of money, I would much rather pay for a membership at FileFront then FilePlanet. Their mod database is much better then FilePlanet, even if you want a mod for an older game like Deus Ex.  
Consoles are schwag.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo