Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched

New updates are now automatically available via Steam for Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, updating Relic's World War II RTS game and its expansion to version 2.400. The list of changes in version 2.400 is epic, so you might want to brew a pot of coffee and order a pizza before settling in to read them.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 31, 2009, 03:36 Paketep

Try playing a 4v4 online and YOU'll bitch because the sky is blue  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 31, 2009, 02:42 raVen

I'm still updating with Steam. I was looking forward to playing today too.

At times it will go 700k/s and at other times it will drop to 20k/s. It's currently at 15k/s. Maybe I'll play it by the time the next expansion comes out...

21. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 23:20 Storm in a Teacup

Relic does wonderful games, but:

- Relic Online doesn't work most of the time.
- their patching process is pathethic (be it applying consecutive patches, downloading them or even trying to play without patching: it will force you to do it).
- their timing is pathethic as well (this patch was expected last summer!)
- their network code is the worst I have seen: my group doesn't even try anything other than LAN since we'll never be able to finish games with more than 4 players, and also a player with low FPS will slow everybody!
- their choice of DRM is appaling (only StarForce is worse than SecuSHIT).

The fact that we go through all of that speaks volumes of how good CoH is. Here's waiting to Tales of Valor and hoping that at least some of that is fixed.

I'll be damned if some people won't bitch because the sky's blue.

20. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 23:19 Storm in a Teacup

Now for the bad side of that: This 96MB patch means Steam users like myself have to redownload the entire 5-6 gig game.

Oh noes! Me wonders if the 50Gig connection can handle it! <shivers>

19. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 23:17 Storm in a Teacup

Oh. Dear. God. Great job Blizzard. I mean Relic.  

18. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 22:45 RP

Now for the bad side of that: This 96MB patch means Steam users like myself have to redownload the entire 5-6 gig game.

Holy Christ that explains that. I was wondering why the update was going an hour after it started.

17. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 22:42 KilrathiAce

umm so like where is dow2 patch....  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 22:35 monkay

Yeah they really need to fire all their network programmers

And find someone who can properly balance a game. Glad to see CoH players are finally getting a patch. Relic has said that they realize how much of a nightmare patching their games is, and that in DOW2 they have fixed that with a l33t patching system...it's been almost a month now since we last saw a patch which still couldn't fix the damn balance so that the game is playable competetively.

15. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 22:09 Charlie_Six

Yeah they really need to fire all their network programmers  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

14. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 22:08 Charlie_Six

rofl that's hilarious and sad at the same time  

13. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 21:01 bjack

You can avoid having to patch upon patch if you use the Steam version.

o.O

Not sure which way is better.

12. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 20:33 BurntSoul

Game is great, patching it is a nightmare. It is almost prohibitive in nature.  

11. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 20:19 Paketep

Relic does wonderful games, but:

- Relic Online doesn't work most of the time.
- their patching process is pathethic (be it applying consecutive patches, downloading them or even trying to play without patching: it will force you to do it).
- their timing is pathethic as well (this patch was expected last summer!)
- their network code is the worst I have seen: my group doesn't even try anything other than LAN since we'll never be able to finish games with more than 4 players, and also a player with low FPS will slow everybody!
- their choice of DRM is appaling (only StarForce is worse than SecuSHIT).

The fact that we go through all of that speaks volumes of how good CoH is. Here's waiting to Tales of Valor and hoping that at least some of that is fixed.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 20:19.

10. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 19:53 LittleMe

Six months ago or so I reinstalled my retail COH to give it another go and the entire patching process probably ended up taking at least two hours. Not only were there a gig+ of patches, but I had to install them all one after the other. It was also hard to find them all. If I rememb

Yeah, took me at least two hours to get CoH patched correctly. They don't make it convenient. It's like they find it funny or something. No cumulative patch, but several patches to walk through, crossing fingers each time.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 19:50 Charlie_Six

I uninstalled COH after getting fed up with all the network bugs. I was really looking forward to this patch, but I think I will just wait for Tales of Valor to come out so I can avoid the patching headaches. I heard TOV will let you play all the factions in multiplayer without having COH or OF installed.

8. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 19:33 FLY

Gandalf at the bridge of Khazad-dum: "This is beyond any.. ummm.. ruuuuun!"

Thank you Relic.

7. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 19:14 Aero

Six months ago or so I reinstalled my retail COH to give it another go and the entire patching process probably ended up taking at least two hours. Not only were there a gig+ of patches, but I had to install them all one after the other. It was also hard to find them all. If I remember correctly there were something like five of them that all had to be downloaded and installed separately in the correct order.

I'm never going to do it again, and it's a shame because I probably otherwise would reinstall occasionally when I get an itch for a WW2 RTS on some random weekend. It is a good one after all. Lots of explosions and stuff.

6. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 18:35 Parallax Abstraction

Bloody brilliant. I love Relic games but they have the worst patch management I've ever seen. I own the retail game so I run it, login to Relic Online, am told there's a patch and it spends 25 minutes downloading it. After it exits to install it, it says that I'm actually 2 versions back and that another patch has to be installed first (because they can't make the patches update any version, even though they're byte-level patches.) Their solution? Run the game and login to Relic Onlien again which just repeats the same broken process. And there's no manual patch yet! Brilliant!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

5. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 18:15 raVen

I've been putting off playing it for too long and I should go through the campaign, any suggestions for starting out?  

4. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 17:32 Jedi Master

This is like the patch when OF came out (except less than 10% the size) as it's patching the code up to Tales of Valor's level.

I'm keen to see if this really fixes the "AI runs from your arty the second you click it, even before the flares arrive" problem like it says.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo