Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 Footage

Some ShakyCam footage from Mass Effect 2 has leaked out of the Game Developer's Conference, showing several minutes from BioWare's upcoming RPG sequel. The clip can be found on Shacknews.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 29, 2009, 00:13 Jerykk

taken as a package, I found Mass Effect stunning and very fun to play.

Taken as a whole, I agree that the game was enjoyable overall. That's why I bought it. However, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

I agree there are areas for improvement, but I do not agree it "wasn't much of an RPG or shooter"... I think that's a really silly comment.

I don't think it's really silly at all. If you take the shooter aspects of ME and compare them to any pure shooter, ME fails horribly. If you take the RPG aspects of ME and compare them to any pure RPG, it fails horribly again. If you take the overall RPG/shooter package and compare it to other RPG/shooters, it also fails, though not as horribly.

ME had a great ambience and presentation. I really liked the cinematic nature of the conversations, though the dialogue system itself was pretty dumb. The writing was well-done though rather predictable and formulaic. Same character archetypes and story arc as every Bioware game since BG2. ME is one of the few games that I've enjoyed for superficial reasons more than mechanics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 23:39 StingingVelvet

The problem is that ME wasn't much of a shooter or an RPG. Deus Ex, SS2, hell, even FO3 all have better combat and RPG aspects. I want to see a lot more out of ME2. I want to see stealth, I want to see jumping and climbing, I want to see actual environmental interaction that goes beyond shooting explosive containers. I also want to see NPCs that actually do stuff and react to your presence.

There comes a point where you can't expect a game to excel in all areas at all times... taken as a package, I found Mass Effect stunning and very fun to play. I dropped 40 hours on it in a few weeks and put it near the top of my games of the year list.

I agree there are areas for improvement, but I do not agree it "wasn't much of an RPG or shooter"... I think that's a really silly comment.

29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 23:14 VoodooV

dude, I think we all want that. But it is a wee bit soon to judge I think  

28. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 19:47 Jerykk

It's an unusual vehicle in an unusual environment. It floats, a lot. It has a weird turn radius. Guess what? The controls are still fine. It wasn't difficult to control at all.

The controls were fine if you were driving on smooth terrain. They were awful for navigating rocky and jagged terrain (of which there was plenty). It's so bad they had to add jumpjets to the vehicle so you could free yourself when you inevitably got stuck. In ME2, they either need to remove the rocky terrain or use a vehicle that's far more flexible.

just because I like hardcore RPGs does not mean I can't like RPG/Shooter hybrids.

The problem is that ME wasn't much of a shooter or an RPG. Deus Ex, SS2, hell, even FO3 all have better combat and RPG aspects. I want to see a lot more out of ME2. I want to see stealth, I want to see jumping and climbing, I want to see actual environmental interaction that goes beyond shooting explosive containers. I also want to see NPCs that actually do stuff and react to your presence.

27. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 16:46 StingingVelvet

I like RPGs and thought Mass Effect was amazing... just because I like hardcore RPGs does not mean I can't like RPG/Shooter hybrids.

I also vote for "the MAKO controlled fine on PC"... on 360 it was a nightmare, from what I played.

26. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 16:07 [THA] Hamst3r

If you thought the Mako controls were fine, I think you need to play more games that involve driving.

It's a Lunar Rover - in space, not a Toyota on Earth. I would never expect it to handle like the cars in other driving games. It's an unusual vehicle in an unusual environment. It floats, a lot. It has a weird turn radius. Guess what? The controls are still fine. It wasn't difficult to control at all.

Based on that statement, I'm assuming you don't like RPGs?

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 14:31 peteham

Not to be the asshole, but considering Mass Effect 1 was a 360 Exclusive and then later released for the PC, how is it any surprise that the 360 is the 'lead sku'?
I thought that my sarcasm was plain, given the context.. It was more of a jab at certain "broken records" around here, IYKWIM

24. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 12:23 Creston

just release the footage properly if you want to show it to us ffs.

It's probably some kind of BS exclusivity deal where one site was promised the footage two days after the GDC is over and nobody else can show it for a week.

Creston

23. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 09:10 DG

Well TBF it's hardly "leaked". It's a recording from the GDC presentation.  

22. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 07:48 Mostly_Harmless

Is anyone else getting tired of these "leaked" shakey-cam viral marketing game videos, just release the footage properly if you want to show it to us ffs.  

21. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 07:14 theyarecomingforyou

This clip looks... exactly like the original game. I really do hope the final game is going to be more than a glorified expansion pack.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 07:00 Jerykk

As for the moon buggy - the control was fine on the PC. It was easy to drive and easy to aim.

If you thought the Mako controls were fine, I think you need to play more games that involve driving.

I'm glad they hit the fun-button and took the RPG lite route.

Based on that statement, I'm assuming you don't like RPGs?

19. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 06:47 Trashy

Mass Effect is a great movie/story with game elements.

the cookie cutter random levels where kind of lame sure.. But the main storyline levels where definitely good.

If your looking for a straight up shooter this isn't your type of game.

Now post a game that you like and I can bash it for not being a game that I wanted it to be.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 06:49.

18. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 06:12 [THA] Hamst3r

It certainly is not a great RPG, it is not a great shooter

Good thing it's a totally awesome game then!

I'm glad they hit the fun-button and took the RPG lite route. The gun combat could have been way better, but after playing for an hour or so I stopped caring - I was having fun.

Anyways, Mass Effect 2 - DO WANT.

As for the moon buggy - the control was fine on the PC. It was easy to drive and easy to aim. To climb steep cliffs you just drive up them diagonally...works like a charm.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 06:19.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

17. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 05:21 Jerykk

The Mako was painful to use on the PC too. Way, way too floaty. That + extremely steep and rocky terrain = no fun. They should just take out the Mako entirely and let you fly a ship or something. Makes a lot more sense when exploring foreign planets.  

16. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 04:38 The Half Elf

Not sure about the PC version but on the 360 the Mako was painful to use. From the movement of it, to how the cannon couldn't aim at anything more then 30 degree's above or below the horizion was a mess.

But I will say please give me more of the dialog options where I more or less will say words to convey the mood of the character.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 04:19 Jerykk

You really enjoyed those levels; to me they were just ridiculous.

They were ridiculous. The whole game was ridiculous. However, the levels were still far more interesting, challenging and varied than in any other Bioware games.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 04:21.

14. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 04:02 Dr. D. Schreber

Mass Effect 2 should be a KotOR crossover. Obviously, nowhere knew where Revan was in KotOR2 because he got lost and ended up in the Milky Way.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

13. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 03:53 Creston

The only thing I got from that is that ME2 is basically more ME1.

Which is fine for me, really.

Works for me too. I'd like to see a much better effort in the random planets (though they have admitted that most of the lack in those is simply time constraints. They could do better random planets, but then you wouldn't have had Feros, for example.), something to DO with the Mako (ie, more things that attack you. I really enjoyed the Geth planets, because it at least gave you something to shoot at.) and a bit more diversification in combat, but other than that I'm fine with the same game and more cool story.

Creston

12. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 03:50 Creston

How can you go after MDK2 when a Mass Effect "level" is just the same square or rectangle, just with the crates moved around?

I know you love Mass Effect, but come on.

Yes, the random planets are like that, and they have already said a dozen times over they'll make changes for the next game. The actual story levels were pretty cool imo. I especially liked the Feros levels.

In any case, I never said that ME's levels were the greatest, I just don't see that MDK's levels were all that spectacular. I certainly don't see it as some mythical disparacy of quality between the two games.

Jerykk,

To each his own. You really enjoyed those levels; to me they were just ridiculous.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 03:54.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo