Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games

Steam is offering Far Cry 2 for half-price for 24 hours, as Ubisoft's open-world sequel to Crytek's first-person shooter is today's installment in their week-long Ubisoft promotion. There's more Ubisoft digital distribution news on GOG.com, where they have begun adding Ubi's back catalog to this DRM-free marketplace. The first titles they offer are Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good and Evil, and IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, and they say more will be added soon.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 29, 2009, 00:19 GT

Why allow it on pre-orders but not bundles?
Because the pre-order game was a freebie and not a purchase. I don't agree with the policy, but I can see the distinction.

So as usual you are focusing on Valve as being the cause of the problem here, when most likely it's a Publisher decision
I am focusing on who controls Steam at the highest level, and that is Valve. Only a Valve fanboy would want to deflect that responsibility away from where it ultimately belongs. The evidence suggests it is not just a publisher decision because Valve doesn't allow bundles to be split up on its own games either with the exception of HL2 and EP1 in the Orange box. None of its other bundles can have parts gifted from what I've read.

Plus, whether or not Valve is the source of this problem isn't really the issue because Valve could rectify it in any case. Valve could certainly change the gifting policy for its own games, and even for third-parties Valve has had no trouble dictating terms on similar issues such as mandating achievements and setting prices with at least some indie developers' games. Valve has built up Steam's share of the PC game distribution market to the point where Valve wields a lot of leverage over third-party developers and publishers who want to put their wares on Steam. If Valve wanted to make Steam's gifting less restrictive, it could certainly do so even for third-party games.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2009, 00:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 23:08 Krovven

But we already established that in some cases with third-party games, there are exceptions. GTAIV/Vice City pre-order. Why allow it on pre-orders but not bundles? So as usual you are focusing on Valve as being the cause of the problem here, when most likely it's a Publisher decision.

51. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 22:56 GT

This seems ass backwards when you can get extra copies from pre-order bonuses (third party companies), the Orange Box as well as the L4D 4-pack.
It's a deliberate policy though. The Orange Box and the L4D 4-pack were the only exceptions mentioned in the gifting terms that I could find, and even with the Orange Box only HL2 and EP1 are allowed for gifting. The other games in the bundle are not.

I agree that the gifting restrictions are bad for customers, but from its written policies it is clear that Valve treats games on Steam as subscriptions and not products and doesn't allow customers to share, sell, or transfer their subscribed games so that it doesn't have to compete against them for sales.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 23:05.

50. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 19:24 Krovven

Did some searching and found someone that had bought the bundle and already owned Dark Messiah, and they did not get an extra copy.

This seems ass backwards when you can get extra copies from pre-order bonuses (third party companies), the Orange Box as well as the L4D 4-pack.

49. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 18:31 GT

I know this because I had purchased the GTA bundle on Steam when it was on sale. Then Vice City was included as GTAIV pre-order bonus.
Yes, but in your case the copy of Vice City wasn't a purchased bundle, but rather a single game added to your Steam account as a bonus. So, you didn't gift the copy of Vice City from the bundle, but rather the individual copy you received later. You may still be right that an individual part of a game bundle can be gifted if the Steam account already has an existing copy of the game, but your particular example is far from definitive on the issue.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 18:41.

48. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 04:01 Creston

Far Cry, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, IL-2 1946, and Beyond Good and Evil for 9.99 on steam this weekend.

That's just ridiculous. I'd buy that even if I already had all four games.

Heh, I think I now have 15 or so games that I've bought just because they are cheap, and have yet to get around to playing...

Creston

47. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 28, 2009, 00:06 Krovven

If you already own a game on Steam, and purchase a Bundle that contains another copy of that game, that game shows up as "1 extra copy" in the gifts column in Steam. You can gift these away.

I know this because I had purchased the GTA bundle on Steam when it was on sale. Then Vice City was included as GTAIV pre-order bonus.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 00:08.

46. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 23:54 GT

can't hurt to give one copy of DMMM away
My understanding is that you can't gift an existing game in your Steam account to someone else nor can you gift part of a new bundle purchase on Steam. And, if you meant that you would give away your copy of the retail version of DMMM, the person who receives it won't be able to use the multiplayer portion of the game if you have already registered the game's key with Steam.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 23:56.

45. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 23:30 Jerykk

I'm tempted to buy this pack on Steam and BG&E alone on GOG just to support the game. I already bought the retail version so I'll have three versions.  

44. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 22:26 Rigs

Yeah, but isn't the first Far Cry available for free download? I vaguely remember that...the rest are a good deal, especially IL-2-1946. Too bad they couldn't throw in Lock-on with that. Then it would really rock...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

43. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 14:16 Tumbler

Far Cry, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, IL-2 1946, and Beyond Good and Evil for 9.99 on steam this weekend.

Wow. Nice.

I just canceled my gamefly account today because there isn't much to play on the console lately that is worth renting...and I'm also seeing more money flow toward PC games lately and it's almost all because of these sales.

Old games for bargain bin prices are an attractive product on the PC. I'm sure some developers don't like it but this is putting my in front of my computer WAY more effectively than their shiny new games are.

Bring on the old games!

On the flip side these kinds of sales have got to be hammering the sales of new products. How many people are going to buy a new game at $29.99 or more when you can buy 4 for $10!? And how many hours are those old games going to keep you busy?

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 14:18.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

42. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 12:37 xXBatmanXx

I have 2 of the 4, but the 4 for 1 deal can't be passed up! On top of that, can't hurt to give one copy of DMMM away and then I also have FarCry in Steam.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 12:34 hiya

Dark Messiah was cheesy fun with good hand to hand combat for a FPS, had Thief designer consult on gameplay, so there's some similar stuff in there. Fun Game IMHO, after it got patched and fixed all the bugginess

40. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 10:18 GT

Now I can sign into yet ANOTHER online service!
Unlike those others GOG isn't an online service. The games have obsolutely no DRM, so once you download a purchased game from GOG, you never have to go back unless you want to buy another game or didn't backup your download.

Not purchasing from GOG because you don't want to create an account is like not purchasing from Amazon or any other online retailer which requires one.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 10:20.

39. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 10:14 nin

GOG > EA Online
GOG > Direct2Drive
GOG > GfWL

Exactly. Why would you use any of those other 3? Hell, I wouldn't touch EA Online or D2D with a ten foot pole.

Desecration Smile, if you've done business with them, it's your own fault. Do some research before you hop into bed next time.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games Mar 27, 2009, 02:36 Rigs

Should I even ask what kind of hooker you get for $15?

Oh god, please don't indulge him...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

37. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 27, 2009, 02:31 Creston

GOG...when GFWL, Steam, Impulse, EA Online and Direct2Drive just aren't enough...

GOG > EA Online
GOG > Direct2Drive
GOG > GfWL

They're about equal with impulse. Steam is better, it just has more games.

Did GOG kick your dog or something?

Creston

36. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Game Mar 26, 2009, 21:53 Storm in a Teacup

Hey! Look! GOG has a sale! Guess which service gets my money today?

Thanks GOG!

Hey! Look! Now I can sign into yet ANOTHER online service! GOG's catchphrase? GOG...when GFWL, Steam, Impulse, EA Online and Direct2Drive just aren't enough...

35. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games Mar 26, 2009, 20:45 Slashman

Does the crack limit your use of patches to update the game?

Actually no it doesn't, which means you are good to go forever. Just reapply the crack after you patch and it works fine.

34. Re: Far Cry 2 Sale & Ubi's Good Old Games Mar 26, 2009, 20:40 Kosumo

But, but, the cigar and hat, come on, help a brother out in these dire economic times! Throw me a bone!!! Sniff Pimp = Pleased
heheheheh

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo