Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

THQ and Relic Entertainment announce that Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor is gold, and the World War II real-time strategy standalone expansion is expected in stores on April 9. Here's the skinny:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced Company of Heroes®: Tales of Valor™, the next chapter in the critically-acclaimed Company of Heroes franchise, has reached the gold master stage of development and has entered manufacturing. Developed by award-winning Real-Time Strategy (RTS) developer, Relic Entertainment, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor offers three, intense single-player campaigns, three new multiplayer modes and an innovative “direct-fire” feature that offers an unprecedented amount of control on the battlefield. Scheduled for a nationwide release at all major retail and online outlets on April 9, 2009, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor will be available as a Games for Windows® PC title for a suggested retail price of $29.99.

“Building upon the recent critical and commercial success of Dawn of War II, Relic Entertainment is set to deliver the next great chapter in the award-winning Company of Heroes franchise,” said Kevin Kraff, vice president of global brand management, THQ. “Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor strengthens Relic Entertainment’s reputation as a leading RTS developer, with an unwavering dedication to innovative, ground-breaking gameplay experiences.”

“Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor brings an exceptional amount of tactical control and intimate combat to the franchise,” said Tarrnie Williams, general manager, Relic Entertainment. “The three new single-player campaigns, new multiplayer modes and advanced gameplay mechanics emphasize precision and require players to use a new level of strategy and skill to achieve victory during the historic battles of World War II.”

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of V Mar 27, 2009, 03:56 monkay

What I can't stand is the unit imbalances. There is a very clear set of units for each army that get the best results and that is at least 90% of the games you play.

I've lost faith in Relic's ability to properly balance a game. As of now, DOW2's balance is a big fuck-all to all non-nids(or eldar) players.

Playing as orks is a joke, so many units yet so few useful ones, especially against the nids.

I had such high hopes for this game. Too bad they seem to choose to please the nids fans only. Adding a race without any personality was a minor diappointment in the first place, now this race is breaking the game's balance. It's pissing me off.

The only reason I log in and play a few games now is to try and rank up my profile so I can see the cooler stuff on my orks.

Good luck to that. If you can win using orks vs other races, mostly eldar and OMFGPwNAG3 nids, please enlighten me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 21:21 Paranoid Jack

I love CoH (both the original and Opposing Fronts) it's easily the best RTS in my opinion. I was hoping they would add more armies from other countries... but this should still be good. Not sure how it will mesh with the older units though. I haven't followed it that closely.

Another good thing is that this should be out just before or just after we go on strike... so I'll have lots of time to enjoy it.

18. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 19:25 Fausticle

Loving DOW2 and plan to get this too  

17. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 18:20 Charlie_Six

oh man i just read the FAQ for TOV on its forums. This sounds really cool. I'll probably get this ASAP

It has a "DOTA"-like mode, along with a tank combat mode.. and other cool features. Really spices up the COH formula with interesting new gameplay modes.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

16. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of V Mar 26, 2009, 18:11 Tumbler

What game breaking bugs are in DoW2 exactly? Not saying I doubt it, I just don't know if I've run into any of them yet.

The game crashes on a fairly regular basis in 3v3 games. It happened a lot more frequently when I set my graphical settings on high. So I keep things on medium a lot but I enjoy the 3v3 games enough to live with it.

What I can't stand is the unit imbalances. There is a very clear set of units for each army that get the best results and that is at least 90% of the games you play.

If you want to handicap yourself you can try incorporating other units but it's a shame that as diverse as some of these armies are there is little to no reason to use at least half of the units in most games and even fewer of the specials that each leader gets.

It doesn't really have a lot of depth right now. You'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't and unfortunately that leads to very repetitive games.

And the ranking system has become a little frustrating. The idea behind it sounds like a lot of fun but you don't get to choose what upgrades you want your troops to wear and the army painter seems to have been made for the space marines and the other races get only very basic choices.

The only reason I log in and play a few games now is to try and rank up my profile so I can see the cooler stuff on my orks. But it's hardly satisfying now. You have to score 8000 to rank up from where I am and it keeps getting worse. The winners of a game typically score 1000 or more points each and the losers score approx 200 points which means somone is always getting screwed. I'd be happier if both sides scored similar points.

Close games have a score that is a lot closer 500 vs 700 but that is rare. Most game go one way or the other and don't ever stop.

I could go on but I don't see myself wanting to play this game until they make some major adjustments to the unit balances.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 18:11 Donkey_Punch

I loved COH but I got fed up with having 30% of my games crash or end because of network problems.. so I uninstalled it.

I only play single player and never had a single crash or problem. I assume all the problems are with multi-player.

14. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 17:26 Flatline

b) DoW2 team have not moved onto another project. I can tell you they are working on getting shit fixed. Some things are out of their control.

I heard that they're holding off on it because MS's certification for patches via GFWL is so expensive, they want to do a big patch all at once instead of a bunch of expensive, smaller patches.

13. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of V Mar 26, 2009, 17:09 Parallax Abstraction

What game breaking bugs are in DoW2 exactly? Not saying I doubt it, I just don't know if I've run into any of them yet.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

12. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 16:59 Ray Ban

http://community.companyofheroesgame.com/forums/topic/patch-2400-coming

This should fix most of it ...

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

11. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 16:24 Charlie_Six

I hope this game comes with fixes for all the weird network bugs and game crashes COH has already. I loved COH but I got fed up with having 30% of my games crash or end because of network problems.. so I uninstalled it.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

10. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 15:34 theyarecomingforyou

DoW2 team have not moved onto another project. I can tell you they are working on getting shit fixed. Some things are out of their control.
Unfortunately if they're still supporting a game they need to shout about it or else people will feel neglected... too many games are unsupported and how are we supposed to tell them apart?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

9. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 15:19 Krovven

My perception is they've moved onto another project.

a) Tales of Valor team is not related to DoW2 team other than being in the same building.

b) DoW2 team have not moved onto another project. I can tell you they are working on getting shit fixed. Some things are out of their control.

8. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of V Mar 26, 2009, 15:10 Warskull

Relic released DoW 2 with game breaking bugs in it and took nearly a month to even begin to do something about those bugs. They still aren't properly fixed and DoW 2 is for the most part being neglected. It just seems like a terrible idea to purchase anything from Relic right now. I wouldn't expect the new features to work at all.  

7. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 14:55 Donkey_Punch

I absolutely loved the first two releases of Company of Heroes.  

6. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 14:49 Caveman

Does this finally add co-op to CoH?  

5. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 13:31 mexpak

I can't tell if the choice of GFW was good or not for DoW2. On one hand, it stopped the release of the patch you guys are bitching for from coming out, but only because that patch would've fucked the game up even more.

Still, Relic has an uncanny ability to hold themselves back

4. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 13:12 FloorPie

Whats the word on copy protection/DRM for this?

Ditto on the DOW2 sentiment but then I've not even bothered to install it yet.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 13:13.

3. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 13:05 theyarecomingforyou

Relic is burning a lot of hard earned respect right now. My perception is they've moved onto another project.
Yeah. I thought DOWII was their big title but it just seems to have been left alone.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

2. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 12:09 Tumbler

Would be nice if Relic actually released a real patch for their other game, Dawn of War 2...

No kidding. You really think we're going to buy another RTS game from you after the current status of DoW2?

I kept holding out hope that help is on the way for that game but it's obvious that buying it for full price on release was a huge mistake.

The go gamer price of $35 isn't too bad but $50 was just wasting money in my opinion.

Relic is burning a lot of hard earned respect right now. My perception is they've moved onto another project.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Gold - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor Mar 26, 2009, 10:16 KilrathiAce

Would be nice if Relic actually released a real patch for their other game, Dawn of War 2...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo