Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Developer Choice Awards

Though the results have not yet appeared on the Game Developer Choice Awards Website, the award ceremony was conducted last night. The Associated Press, Gamasutra, and VentureBeat have write-ups of the festivities, and this press release highlights the game of the year award earned by Fallout 3, and lists all the winners:

Game of the Year
Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)

Best Game Design:
LittleBigPlanet (Media Molecule)

Best Writing:
Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks)

Best Technology:

Best Visual Arts:
Prince of Persia (Ubisoft Montreal)

Best Debut Game:

Best Handheld Game:
God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (Ready at Dawn)

Innovation Award:

Best Audio:
Dead Space (EA Redwood Shores)

Best Downloadable Game:
World Of Goo (2D Boy)

Recipients for the evening's special awards were:

Lifetime Achievement Award
Hideo Kojima

Pioneer Award
Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy

Ambassador Award
Tommy Tallarico

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 22:25 Acleacius

This is the only place out of the 4-5 gaming sites ......
Lol, where do you go, freaking xbox game sites and this is your one adult game site you cruse?

What would you give it to?....
Hell, any indie game RPG was better written than Fallout 3's, *seen my dad, a middle aged guy?*, anything by Spiderweb games. Did Stardock release last year can't remember atm? Depths of Perl, NWN2 expansion for the story it had, it was much better. Obviously almost any RPG is more of an RPG than Bethesda's action/RPG pretending to be an RPG. Does Mass Effect 2 count in the time frame, not sure the dates of being able to participate. Not sure if the Witcher counts in the time frame, it was defiantly better written.

Maybe this is a great story to you, worthy of winning best game of the year, cause you play consoles and don't know any better. Doesn't mean we have our panties in a wad cause we use humor, sarcasm and wickedly dark ironies of the most devious nature, to state facts.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 21:48 monkay

I notice that no one else suggests anything, aside from the guy who thinks L4D, a game without any writing really, had better writing than Fallout 3.

Don't you see? That's the point. A game without writing has better writing than FO3.

30. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 21:46 Yifes

Wallshadows, maybe you haven't played Fallout 3 so you don't know just how bad the dialogue and story in game is. This is like Michael Bay winning the oscar for best writing.

Quote from bethesda VP Pete Hines:

"Dialogue wasn't a battle we wanted to pick. There were other things that were more important for us to spend time and energy on... we just don't have unlimited monkeys and typewriters."

Apparently Bethesda had enough monkeys and typewriters to produce the best written game of 2008.

This has nothing to do with wether FO3 is a good game or not. It's pretty disturbing that the people who make our games hail Fallout 3 as the pinnacle of modern video game writing.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 21:53.

29. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 20:07 Kxmode

enjoy the titles you like rather then what other people claim is the best

That's right! I mean we shouldn't worry about what fellow developers thought was the best game with the best writing.

Ucrazy

28. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 20:00 Wallshadows

And speaking of douchy... thanks for the pro tips.

So what if Fallout 3 won. Should it affect how you feel about the title you think should have won? No. Complaining won't change the fact either. It's done, yesterday's news, move on and enjoy the titles you like rather then what other people claim is the best. We're all capable of independent, opinionated thinking and the ones who think this changes how they should view their product are just mindless drones.

So yes, I do enjoy watching people get all hung up over these award ceremonies. It's almost like they take it personally when their product is not chosen or when something they may not like does. Especially the ones who claim something sucks without giving reason why or better examples within superior titles.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

27. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 19:36 Kxmode

The Witcher was released in 2007 so it wouldn't count.

This is true, except I wasn't suggesting The Witcher, but The Witcher Enhanced Edition released September 2008. Given the enormity of additions, changes, bug fixes, and so forth it could be considered a 2008 release. According to MetaCritic many outlets considered it a big enough re-release to review.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/witcherenhancededition?q=enhanced%20edition

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 19:44.

26. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 18:14 Yifes

Fallout 3 for best writing? Ucrazy  

25. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 18:02 Fuzzmatang

The Witcher was released in 2007 so it wouldn't count.

I would have picked DHSGIT or Charles Barkley Shut Up & Jam Gaiden (for the lulz) but both are indies.

Looking at the list of games is pretty bleak, writingwise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:2008_video_games

Fable 2, maybe? MGS4?
Jeezus Fallout 3? They could have just picked the Penny Arcade game for best writing and it'd be the same thing.

24. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 17:24 Ozmodan

Funny thing is people are more often than not going the online route and I did not see anything mentioned about any of them.  

23. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 17:01 PropheT

All I'm seeing is people discussing their general disappointment over what most gamers seem to agree is undeserved kudos for a mediocre at best game.

This is the only place out of the 4-5 gaming sites I read that bitches about Fallout 3. Everywhere else either agrees that it's GOTY, or would pick GTA IV instead.

What would you give it to? I see a lot of people whining, but what would you have picked? I notice that no one else suggests anything, aside from the guy who thinks L4D, a game without any writing really, had better writing than Fallout 3.

22. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 16:42 Kxmode

I think the GDC judges confused atmosphere with writing because quite honestly the atmosphere in Fallout 3 is absolutely amazing. However atmosphere is not the writing, and definitely not the story. It's just the back-drop the story takes place in. Unfortunately the story itself wasn't engaging. It took itself way to serious. It didn't insert any humor found in the previous games. And I really didn't care about what happened to Dad or any NPCs (e.g. I came back to Vault 101 and killed everyone because I didn't CARE).

Juxtaposed with The Witcher and NPCs I really cared about what happened to them.

So if Fallout 3 sets the precedent for what is considered great writing then I think we're in a world of hurt for what's to come.

21. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 15:47 Warskull

Wow, these awards are terrible. I guess a buggy, crash prone game that got worse with patches it what constitutes game of the year these days.

If you look at the nominees its pretty obvious these are BS. They just nominated Fallout 3, GTA IV, Little Big Planet, and a few others for every category.

Pro tip #2: Opinions vary; we're not all alike so don't act like this is the first time a bad decision has been made. It's both hilarious yet confusing to see you guys get your panties in a knot

This isn't a regular bad decision. These are mind bogglingly bad.

20. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 15:45 Pineapple Ferguson

Pro tip #1: Complaining after the fact does not turn back time and should not affect how you personally feel about your opinion.

Pro tip #2: Opinions vary; we're not all alike so don't act like this is the first time a bad decision has been made. It's both hilarious yet confusing to see you guys get your panties in a knot.

Long-time member of Firingsquad until it got douchy.

And speaking of douchy... thanks for the pro tips.

I haven't really seen any knotted panties. All I'm seeing is people discussing their general disappointment over what most gamers seem to agree is undeserved kudos for a mediocre at best game.

I was looking over the list of nominees, and GTA IV was up for best writing. While that game doesn't deserve to win any real literary awards either, it was easily far better than F3.

19. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 15:07 Wallshadows

Pro tip #1: Complaining after the fact does not turn back time and should not affect how you personally feel about your opinion.

Pro tip #2: Opinions vary; we're not all alike so don't act like this is the first time a bad decision has been made. It's both hilarious yet confusing to see you guys get your panties in a knot.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

18. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 14:57 Donkey_Punch

Fallout 3 wins award for most bug-ridden PC game.  

17. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 14:31 NKD

I thought for sure Derek Smart was gonna get Lifetime Achievement Award.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 13:40 Techie714

While I enjoyed the game I feel it wasn't award worthy. Instead the enhanced edition of The Witcher, in my humble opinion, had a VERY engaging story.

I have to agree with you on The Witcher damn that game was so amazing!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

15. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 13:14 Acleacius

Fallout 3 Game of the Year and Best Writing? Roflmao what a bunch of BULLSHIT completely discredits this organization. Who are these Dumb Ass Game Developers?

A Game Journalist, should do an investigative piece exposing which Developers voted for each of these games. They deserved to be public exposed, even Game Developer's childeren should be forced to watch their parent pelted with 100 Rotten Tomatoes. We don't want the childeren growing up all whacked out, like their parent.

The Horror!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 12:25 monkay

Agree with the others. We all know this medium isn't particularly famous for its writings, but saying FO3 is the best is just...WTF.  

13. Re: Game Developer Choice Awards Mar 26, 2009, 12:11 Pineapple Ferguson

Wow.. ridiculous. I never thought I'd see Fallout 3 praised for its writing. Yeah Tunnelrats! Of course it's going to win GOTY, not that it was deserved, but you could tell from the hype that that was decided before it even came out.

Not a single award for L4D? Anything that comes out of any of the survivors' mouths was both written and performed better than anything in Fallout 3.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo