Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Beta Signups

The OnLive Website is live for this just unveiled cloud gaming service, and accepting signups for the OnLive Beta Program, which is slated to get underway this summer. Word is: "You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac." Also, Engadget has video of OnLive being shown off at GDC, where playing Crysis over the service is demonstrated, and the burning issue of how lag will be handled is discussed, as they outline the careful distribution of data centers to keep things humming.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 27, 2009, 00:17 elefunk

Spare us your backtracking explanations.

Now you're saying the exact goddamn thing right now that I and others have been saying for the last 3 days - things that you insulted us and called us shills for saying. Next time try actually reading peoples' posts before jumping to asinine conclusions, and attacking them with bullshit ad hominem attacks based on those asinine conclusions.

It also wouldn't hurt to stop making up your own reality where this announcement is somehow "conning" people regardless of the fact that no one is losing a dime except for the company themselves.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 00:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 27, 2009, 00:08 Cutter

Much like when Phantom was announced and everyone was trumpeting it was the next best thing to sliced bread. Well, we all saw how that came to reality, lol.

They're making grandiose claims without putting forth any evidence how their miracle compression algorthim will negate the problems we've all brought up. Awesome concpet, not doubt, but almost zero chance it will become reality inside of 10 or 20 years. And itsn't that it's not achievable except for the lack of infrastructure.

When FIOS is yesterdays news and people have 24+Mbps pipes everywhere and anywhere, than come talk to me.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 26, 2009, 15:40 Elessar

Cutter vs LMN8R seems to be less of an argument of the actual OnLive product and more of an argument about attitude. For that I'm going to have to agree with LMN8R. He's not championing their cause, he's defending the overall idea that people might be excited about something against wet blankets such as Cutter.

We should all be skeptical, that's a given. Especially with a self proclaiming revolutionary product such as this. But to come in here and shout that it's garbage without having tried it makes you look foolish. Doubting it is one thing, but arguing with people who are optimistic about it is just raining on people's parade. Not necessary.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

25. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 26, 2009, 09:55 nin

well we'll find out soon enough when the beta gets under way.

It blows...from http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1090

With several options to choose from, I eventually settled on BioShock--it being a game of high visual quality, and also a first-person shooter, which would give me a decent sense of the response time. Loading the title up, I at first had no sense the game was being streamed to the small PC laptop next to me. Menu response was fast, and 2K Boston's gem looked as it should.

But unfortunately, the illusion faded along with the loading screen. Once I was in the game itself, I immediately noticed the unwelcome signs of blocky compression. It wasn't so compressed that it was entirely distracting from the gameplay, but it was also worse than I expected. The visual quality was high, but the experience was marred by the considerable amount of splotchy pixels.

Playing around in Rapture, I found that response-time lag was mostly unnoticeable--mostly. When turning quickly, there were disappointing moments of hitching here and there. It was an impressive technical accomplishment, but at the same time unquestionably inferior to playing from a disc.

I asked OnLive representatives whether the connection at GDC was indicative of the optimal connection experience, and they replied in the affirmative. They stressed that three OnLive connections have been run on a single 6mbps Comcast connection in their tests, but I wondered whether any of that mattered.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2009, 10:08.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 23:43 Wag

I'm already playing games on my 56" HDTV at 1080p with a mediocre setup (E6600@2.4GHz, GTX 280, 4GB, Vista 64). If PC game developers stop putting out standalone PC games and start moving to a lower-end online type streaming 720p games exclusively I'd be pretty upset.

A compressed, laggy, 720p just ain't gonna do it for me.

23. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 21:44 elefunk

No, we haven't "all seen it before". There is absolutely nothing like this exact technology that has ever been demonstrated before.

How the hell are you still claiming me to be "championing them" when every single one of my posts on the topic demonstrates nothing but hesitant skepticism? It's yet more evidence to show that you're a terribly negative person who is incapable of anything but the most asinine, baseless, hyperbolically negative statements possible.

For fuck's sake, where did I make a "miraculous claim about how great this will all be"? Where the fuck do you pull this shit out of? Did you even read a single word of my post other than the phrase you copied and pasted into your quote?

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 21:48.

22. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 21:14 Cutter

But of course - hyperbolic ad hominem attacks claiming that people are company shills the second anyone defends against ridiclously hostile, hateful statements.

Yes, because in spite of the lack of any credible evidence that what they claim can possibly be true, you go on championing them with no logical basis to support it. We call that viral or stealth marketing. We've all seen it before. So you'll have to forgive our skepticism and hostility if you're not a shill, but you certainly possess all the characteresitics of one, and all your miraculous claims about how great this will all be isn't going to change anyone's mind without seeing the proof in the pudding ourselves.

It sounds like a scam, so we're treating it as such.

21. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 19:51 DG

well we'll find out soon enough when the beta gets under way.

fwiw, "Who the fuck cares how many observers they can have." - observers are important to some people for tournaments and such. Though, I think they bring it up to get across the point that since this works fundamentally differently, new things are possible. Maybe also this being like a social networking thing, and maybe being able to instantly preview how a multi-player game is going before joining in.

20. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 17:18 elefunk

There is a difference between skeptcisism and outright hateful hostility and bogus claims of being "conned". I'm skeptical of this technology, I've held significant doubts the entire time, and there's no way I'll be fully convinced until I actually see it running for myself. But I don't fucking hate the company for making unlikely claims like you and others do.

<100ms lag would be playable for this setup. Improbable to reach a consistent connection with that latency, it's not an optimal gaming experience, and it's definitely not worth replacing my local gaming setup that I'm perfectly content with. But it's not impossible either. And I'm certainly not being "conned", nor is anyone else.

But of course - hyperbolic ad hominem attacks claiming that people are company shills the second anyone defends against ridiclously hostile, hateful statements.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 17:22.

19. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 17:08 Cutter

Do you work for these guys, or are you entirely ignorant of how the physical medium of the interchange of data on the physical network we call the internet works? I haven't seen ANYTHING that Perlman has said so far that would even begin to make me remotely believe that anything he says is true. Then again, I suppose that things like Jesus walking on water, or changing water into wine are prefectly plausible to you too.

18. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 16:48 elefunk

Because it really amounts to little more than a conjob. Something where fools and their money will be parted because they don't know any better. They've made too many wild claims about how everything will just automagically happen and they can deal with any and all issues without breakintg a sweat. IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS. That's the first rule of dectecting fraud. And maybe we don't want to see people get needlessly burned because of another snake-oil salesman trying to sell a miracle product that simply can't work. Either that or he's an alien life-form that's managed to change the laws of physics. You choose.
No one is losing a dime on this until it's officially released, which is exactly what I said in my post you quoted. There is absolutely no need for so much hostility when every single penny is being spent by OnLive themselves, even going through the beta this summer.

No, you're not pissed about a "conjob", you're pissed because that's what you and many others on this site are always like. OnLive has done absolutely everything that is possible for them to do at this point to make their case, without charging you or anyone else a dime for pre-release investement. They're not "conning" anyone here but themselves if this product doesn't work in a real-world scenario.

You made up your mind about this product long before they ever explained themselves in full, and the unending and overblown hostility of you and many other users here has absolute jack shit to do with worrying about others losing money, but rather you guys fearing that maybe, just maybe, you'll be proven drastically wrong.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 16:50.

17. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 15:52 MindStalkerReturned

Well in their example demonstration they stated the servers were 50 miles away. I believe that just might be possible. If they can put a server farm in every major city everything will be great. The question is, can they get away with putting a server within 1000 miles. I personally don't think so, roundtrip 2000 miles is 10 milli-lightseconds (or 10ms ping time for fiber optic with absolutely no routing or processing).
For the average person the minimum ping time to almost any server on the internet is 50ms, 100ms is very, very common. So 50ms there, lets say they really can process your request and produce its compressed video in 2ms as they claim, and 50ms back, 10ms decompression time (at least) You're looking at a delay of 112ms. That's a little more
than 1/10th of a second between every action and its response. Theoretically the game could do a slight bit of negative lag and calculate the video based upon what would have happened had to sent the command 1/10th of a second before you actually did, but that will cause some jumps in fluidity... I don't know which is worse.

16. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 15:42 SpectralMeat

IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS. That's the first rule of dectecting fraud.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 15:35 Cutter

Why so much hostility? If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. You're not losing any money since you've obviously (and smartly) decided to wait and see before plunking down money on this, so why are you so constantly so utterly hateful in every single thread on this topic?

Because it really amounts to little more than a conjob. Something where fools and their money will be parted because they don't know any better. They've made too many wild claims about how everything will just automagically happen and they can deal with any and all issues without breakintg a sweat. IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS. That's the first rule of dectecting fraud. And maybe we don't want to see people get needlessly burned because of another snake-oil salesman trying to sell a miracle product that simply can't work. Either that or he's an alien life-form that's managed to change the laws of physics. You choose.

14. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 13:07 DG

actually I can pretty much buy into this except I can't see how they can get true good quality visuals down broadband nor how they can have latency good enough for controls to be processed by the server. You can do so much in the home unit and so much with the sever but there's still those intertubes in the middle and I can't see how they can do much if anything to reduce the lag better than gaming servers already do.  

13. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 13:07 haki

give the developers a break already. They have been developing this for SEVEN YEARS. Lets see if it works, and shut the fuck up until you actually see some results from the beta test. Of course you are all experts, so why would i even comment on this thread?  

12. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 12:32 elefunk

Why so much hostility? If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. You're not losing any money since you've obviously (and smartly) decided to wait and see before plunking down money on this, so why are you so constantly so utterly hateful in every single thread on this topic?

Servers with GPUs "cut it" if they scale up the number of servers and GPUs they have in their datacenter. It's not exactly rocket science here, and yeah, obviously it "is pretty much a high-end PC". That's the point. They're high-end PCs but configured in a way to get a high density out of them.

You're attacking this company using the same scalability argument in every single one of the 3-4 threads on Blue's. Do you honestly think that you're telling OnLive something they didn't already know here?

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2009, 12:33.

11. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 12:02 InBlack

But he said maybe a million people could view a top MLB 2K9 player playing the game

That little quote is damning in and of itself. Viewing? Viewing the game? Wtf does that mean? This is again latency related. Who the fuck cares how many observers they can have. How many "observers" does youtube have? This is sidestepping the question.

And servers with GPU's just doesnt cut it. A server with a GPU is pretty much a high end PC.

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 11:51 elefunk

Like I stated in one of the previous threads latency isnt the only problem. I would say that it isnt even the biggest problem.

Its scalability. What happens if 50000 users want play Crysis at the same time? Can someone calculate how much horsepower this would require? Now can someone translate that into $$$?
http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965787p1.html

Next question is whether OnLive will outsource the datacenters to partners, or whether OnLive will run the servers itself. Steve says they need to have specialized racks that have GPUs (regular servers don't need GPUs). That said, they designed it so it can be scaled, so they can add or reduce power easily. But he said maybe a million people could view a top MLB 2K9 player playing the game.

It's obviously a huge problem, but also obviously one they haven't simply ignored.

9. Re: OnLive Beta Signups Mar 25, 2009, 10:58 MindStalkerReturned

Yea, localized servers are a must. You could probably tunnel the service from a US host to use it in Canada, but your lag would be tremendous, it would defeat the point.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo