Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein Trailer

The new episode of Gametrailers TV is online, as chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3, and chapter 4, as they take a look at Raven's upcoming Wolfenstein game. They have also posted their Exclusive Occult Trailer for the game, offering gameplay footage highlighting the supernatural goings on in the upcoming World War II shooter. Following a trend we've seen often lately, the PC-DVD logo is not one of those at the end of the clip even though a PC version of the game was announced. In most previous cases this has been an oversight, so we won't take this as a sign we should worry the Windows version has been cancelled until we hear back from Activision.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 22:14 Lorcin

it just feels like Wolfenstein with some things tacked on

Is that bad? I love Wolfenstein even though I won't, for some weird messed up moral reasons, play any "realistic" WWII shooter. The joy for me deeply involves the fact the zombie/arcane elements are merged into the more mundane aspects without a great hoo-ha. The zombies, modern-warfare elements tend to be blended in such a way as too not make you question whether this was actually what happened but was obviously from the get go meant to be a game.

Every other WWII game seems to portray one single person as the sole winner of WWII (and normally his American to add insult to injury). Wolfenstein throws zombies, magic and god knows what else into the mix simply because it KNOWS it's a game loosely base on one of humanities darkest hours.

As for graphically - Tempest, Rez, Castle Crashers and an awful lot more are the irrefutable proof that a game's graphics are just the icing on the cake - the doom 3 engine can certainly be used to great effect in the right hands and I have high hopes for this one.

btw:
And when combined with an incredibly dated engine I find it very hard to get excited.
changing a number on the end of an engine's name does not make it a new one - anyone who has seen the advanced console for U3 knows it's the same as the one in U1. The engines don't change ala console generations they evolve until the publishers decide they need a large enough cash injection to warrant giving their cash-cows a new moniker. Case in point? Half-life originally ran on the Quake 1 engine - you know; that blurry brown/grey engine?

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 22:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 21:03 DangerDog

Got to love the response to "Where's Hitler?", oh him? well you already killed him remember?

They don't want to see the game out right banned in Germany, which despite switching out the Nazi imagery for made up "Wolfenstein" logos, still might happen.

It looks like they figured out a way to give the player "force powers", instead of levitating Stormtroopers we get levitating Nazi's.

They'll probably lead with the console releases and the PC version will follow.

23. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 20:53 theyarecomingforyou

Shit, the original AvP by Rebellion still had the lights on most of the time (unless you shot'em out) and all it took to knock the pants off someone was ambient noise and blips on your scanner.
Yeah, that game was fucking ace. The campaign was decent enough but the multiplayer was top notch... even with just three players (one for each race). And the motion sensor beeping... perfect. It had incredible atmosphere that puts games like Doom 3 to shame.

In RTCW you were given a Tesla Coil, fought armored robots and of course, Rob Zombie at the end. It's always been sci-fi shooting and it looks like this one is no different.
Yeah, but it only started getting really crazy towards the end, whereas this game seems to have been based around the sci-fi elements. And when combined with an incredibly dated engine I find it very hard to get excited. Nothing about the gameplay stood out and it just seems to be based around the gimmick of the different realities.

Wolfenstein in UE3 would be Gears of War with Nazi zombies. Nearly every game on that engine looks the same, ugh.
Yeah, the UE3 has been used a huge amount but at least it looks pretty decent - Bioshock, UT3, BiA:HH, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge. It's really flexible, even if most developers tend not to push the boat much.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. No Coop Mar 21, 2009, 20:16 jimnms

What a shitty excuse for not having coop. Doom had coop, and it's story was about a lone marine.  

Steam Profile

21. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 19:07 sponge

Wolfenstein in UE3 would be Gears of War with Nazi zombies. Nearly every game on that engine looks the same, ugh.  

20. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 18:16 Darkhand Brackstone

I just don't know if I can be excited about this one. I wanted to but it just feels like wolfenstein with some things tacked on  

19. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 18:12 Wallshadows

I'm sure instead of "underrated" you meant "cum-wank". idTech4 is about darkness and enclosed lighting - it really loses its appeal when it's used for large outdoor environments and better lit scenes.

Which is why I used an AvP game as an example. I'm aware of it's limited open-world abilities but AvP was never about a vast open-world to explore; it would be a title to really capitalize on darkness and enclosed lighting. Surely they know how to duct tape a flashlight to a Pulse Rifle.

Shit, the original AvP by Rebellion still had the lights on most of the time (unless you shot'em out) and all it took to knock the pants off someone was ambient noise and blips on your scanner.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 18:15.

18. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 17:46 StingingVelvet

I love all the complaining about ruining the story of... Wolfenstein 3D.

Har.

Game looks like over the top fun, which is what any sensible person would want from this series. Call of Duty and Medal of Honor have the more realistic side of WW2 sewn up completely.

As for the Doom 3 engine it works very well for that certain kind of game, which it appears Wolfenstein is. Quake 4 looked lovely I thought and I wish the engine was used more... Dead Space anyone? That would have kicked ass.

17. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 17:45 Sphinx

+1. That's what happened in Wolf3D as well - you started off killing Nazis and then eventually ended up against a cyborg Hitler. How they can claim they're being faithful to the series I don't know, especially when the main advertising points are switching between realities and using weird lazery weapons. They've clearly missed the point by plugging the sci-fi element. What's the first thing you think of when you think Wolf3D or RTCW? Nazis. This game? Zombie Nazis. Muppets.

In RTCW you were given a Tesla Coil, fought armored robots and of course, Rob Zombie at the end. It's always been sci-fi shooting and it looks like this one is no different.

-Sphinx

16. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 17:28 Elf Shot The Food

They're still doing a PC version; the newest issue of PC Zone magazine has a cover story on it.  

15. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 17:24 MuzixMon

Real cool they couldn't even be bothered to put the PC logo at the end, if they come back and say there isn't going to be a PC version of this it'll be a nice big slap in the face to all PC gamers everywhere. Wofenstein is a PC game and now another great gaming franchise has been taken from us and served to the easily pleased console fanboys.

Just wait a few months from now when we hear another great PC franchise DNF will also not be coming to PC, it won't surprise me a bit.

Man, being a die hard PC gamer has made me so bitter...

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

14. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 16:58 The Half Elf

An old engine that had how many games made from it? Doom 3, Quake 4, Quake Wars and Wolfenstein. Which translates into Id Software, Raven, and Splash Damage (I think).
The reasons developers don't use it is due to better engines being out there.

And no offense to anyone but fuck Wolfenstein, make another Jedi Knight/Academy or Star Trek Elite Force game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 16:54 Sphinx

Using the Veil superpowers in multiplayer doesn't seem like a good idea but I will personally hold off judgment until final product. I won't kid myself and say I won't buy it though. It's Wolfenstein, I love shooting Nazis, end of story.  
-Sphinx

12. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 16:29 theyarecomingforyou

Why ruin the Wolfenstein experience like we had in RtCW? In that game there was a pretty perfect, gradual increase in weird and "occult" stuff the further you got into the game but here it looks like they are going to drop us off right in the middle of the final boss fight from the beginning. Lame...
+1. That's what happened in Wolf3D as well - you started off killing Nazis and then eventually ended up against a cyborg Hitler. How they can claim they're being faithful to the series I don't know, especially when the main advertising points are switching between realities and using weird lazery weapons. They've clearly missed the point by plugging the sci-fi element. What's the first thing you think of when you think Wolf3D or RTCW? Nazis. This game? Zombie Nazis. Muppets.

I might be an old engine but I think it's one of the more underrated of the id Tech series.
I'm sure instead of "underrated" you meant "cum-wank". idTech4 is about darkness and enclosed lighting - it really loses its appeal when it's used for large outdoor environments and better lit scenes. Better engines? Source. UE3. Far Cry 2.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 16:15 sponge

Single player looks cool enough, but I don't have high expectations for multiplayer, despite the teams handling it (Threewave and Endrant)  

10. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 15:43 Sepharo

I agree with you Silicon.

This game needs to go all out ridiculous... And it looks like it has.

I wanna go kill some Nazis...

Oh shoot reread your post... You think they're being too realistic?!

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 15:45.

9. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 15:39 Silicon Avatar

I think this game needs to really ham it up like TF2 or Hellboy. I guess it is hard for me to take a story too seriously when there are Nazi zombies in it. From the look of the trailer it seems like they are wanting the audience to feel immersed and take it semi-seriously so I just kind of left cold.

8. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 15:19 CJ_Parker

Dumbasses might want to look up the meaning of "occult" some time. Occult includes that something is hidden, secretive, out of one's plain view. But here? You got zombie Nazis, all sorts of weird creatures, weird weapons and weird shit flying in your face by the shit-ton every few nanoseconds. WTF?
Why ruin the Wolfenstein experience like we had in RtCW? In that game there was a pretty perfect, gradual increase in weird and "occult" stuff the further you got into the game but here it looks like they are going to drop us off right in the middle of the final boss fight from the beginning. Lame...

7. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 15:15 NKD

Looks pretty good, though the graphics are rather backwards.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 14:19 Wallshadows

I might be an old engine but I think it's one of the more underrated of the id Tech series. Put in the right hands with the right developer and you could probably squeak out some amazing titles. I've always wondered what an Alien vs Predator title would look on the engine.  

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo