Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: BSG Mar 22, 2009, 19:16 Krovven

space captain and I seem to feel the same about BSG. There were weaknesses in the plot and characterizations from the mini-series in 2003. I seriously doubt they had planned to go that route with Baltar from the beginning. Baltar in the original series was a captive of the Cyclons and he was manipulated by them. But if I recall correctly, he also died in the first series saving the humans.

There were definite correlations to the original show, and I think season 1 and most of season 2 corrected a lot of that or at least walked a much finer line. Somewhere near the end of season 2 and largely in season 3 they ran out of original series content to exploit and twist to their own devices. They had to start coming up with their own original content, and they also realized they had a limited timeframe (2 more seasons) to wrap up the tale they had no ending for...and failed.

There were moments of brilliance throughout the seasons, and I think for more fans, they took the show in a direction that nobody was expecting. More importantly though, they took the show in a direction nobody wanted them to. The explanation for Starbuck, Caprica, Baltar is...angels...really? The series ended like a Touched By An Angel episode. So all this time Caprica was just an angel in his head manipulating him in a way he thinks he has gone insane, making him cause pain to himself? The hell if I ever want to meet an angel like that.

I'll check out the new shows, but Im not expecting much. I'm more interested in the rumor I heard about Battlestar Galactica being rebooted "again" by the original show's producers and that it actually has big studio interest. We'll see. This rumor has come up in the past, long before the current BSG existed.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 19:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2009, 13:36 mag

Sorry mag, "the movie" was Star Trek the movie this May, not Lost. That is what will break records. I was referencing things the article said and makes sense when you read the article. Changed the post for clarity.

Ha! Okay, I feel stupid now. Yeah, Trek might do well.

14. BSG Mar 22, 2009, 11:06 space captain

i had been watching this show from the beginning with the same morbid fascination of watching a train wreck in slo-mo

i never "really" liked it to begin with, but it was so outrageously pompous and self-important, with its heavy handed high-brow overtones - i just had to see how they were going to "complete" the story

and basically the only character i had interest in finding out about was Baltar

so when that ending came on, it was just as I had "prophesized" - complete inane garbage

every hanging plot twist gets wrapped up in a nice tidy bow, no matter that none of it really makes sense or has in any way some kind of coherency to it - beyond the basic "find earth - save the humans" bullshit

and Baltar, the 'savior' freakshow aspect - has a completely non-existent pay-off .. with nothing beyond what was already known, besides the little matchmaker "surprise" crap - actually i think the writers wanted to throw another religious bone in there and go for some kind of "adam and eve" bullshit

but overall - the entire story is just a totally piss-poor concept ... but when its executed like "days of our lives (in space)" people cant stop watching it because its so "gritty" and "real" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you want "drama"? yeh people, this is what you get - enjoy it

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2009, 07:46 Bhruic

Yeah Enterprise had it's failings, but I still wanted more at the end.

The last 2/3rds of the last season were quite good, imo. The problem is that some fucking idiot decided, "Hey, let's start off the whole show with a time travel storyline". That person needs to be shot. Time travel has to be the stupidest concept that was ever introduced in Star Trek, and to base the entire Enterprise storyline around it was a travesty.

Once they decided that was over, and started doing the 3 show "mini-arcs", they managed some decent shows. Although I still think they needed a different actor choice for Captain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2009, 00:30 Z9000

Sorry mag, "the movie" was Star Trek the movie this May, not Lost. That is what will break records. I was referencing things the article said and makes sense when you read the article. Changed the post for clarity.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 00:34.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2009, 21:36 mag

I know Lost is really popular, but I don't see it getting these box office numbers you expect. I don't personally know a single person that watches it, and I have a lot of friends that span the whole range of 20s and early 30s. I think that's its key demographic or something, isn't it?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2009, 17:10 Z9000

I wouldn't classify "Fringe" as a hit. Lost however is a different story. All this speculation means nothing until we see the Star Trek movie. If it bombs why bother. I don't mean financially, as I am sure the movie will rape the box office numbers and records, but on whether it fits in to the universe properly in the minds of fans. The guys who will Tivo it (hope people are learning about tivo ratings and remembering Firefly/Enterprise).

Yeah Enterprise had it's failings, but I still wanted more at the end.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2009, 00:35.

PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

9. Re: Does Dark Energy Really Exist? Mar 21, 2009, 16:33 theAntiELVIS

Yes - and it comes out of my butt.

-tAE-

8. Re: Trek Mar 21, 2009, 16:17 Capella

Enterprise was great because the Vulcan chick was hot as hell.

You aint kidding! That outfit she was wearing in In The Mirror, Darkly was SMOKIN!

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 16:18.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

7. Re: Trek Mar 21, 2009, 16:01 Cutter

TNG FTW! Picard = best captain ever.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: BSG Mar 21, 2009, 13:51 MMORPGHoD

It was entertaining to watch the 5000 people going nuts on the sci-fi BSG forums. Pure chaos. I didn't realize so many people were into this.

I had already not been all that interested the way the were going to remake this series, so I only watched BSG off and on until they made it to that settlement, New Caprica? After that I lost interest. Not enough action for me and too much milking of the plot lines without any revelation, almost as bad as LOST. Then I watched the last few EPs of BSG and found not much had changed since I left off. The ending? LOL. My thoughts:

Lee, now that you've saved your people, what are you gonna do? I'M GONNA GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN!!! Ok, see ya. And all that tech that everyone was pickin apart Galactica for? We don't need no stinkin tech. Throw it all in the sun! Phhft, glad I didn't get into this show..

Babylon 5 kept my interest much more intensely and I can still remember the emotion of the liberation of earth and Ivanova's vengence, "Who am I? Iím Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to earth. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me!"

5. Re: Trek Mar 21, 2009, 13:31 Enahs

Enterprise was great because the Vulcan chick was hot as hell. Amazingly hot. The actress had this alien sex appeal to her anyway.

Just google image search jolene blalock. If that is not sexy I do not know what is.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Trek Mar 21, 2009, 12:00 Ray Marden

It really needs a break, in my opinion.

There were just too many back to back series of questionable content or inconsistent themes.

I think DS9 is easily the best of the franchise, but there are people that utterly hate it. There are people that think ToS is defacto standard, but I find it incredibly hokey and does not age well (I do give it credit for what it did at the time.)
TNG was good, especially for what it did, but DS9 is better side by side.
Meanwhile, there are people that love Voyager and Enterprise. I think Enterprise was flawed in many ways and I...I am not even going to bother typing out a proper insult for Voyager supporters. That show isn't worth my time.

I do not see it happening, but I would hope "they" wait a few years before they try anything. From there, I would like to see something new - not a prequel, not a side story, not some damn teeny bopper cash grab, not an action fick. And I really hope that it would stay true to the grand ideals at the coare of the Star Trek world.
FFS, why won't anybody discount Tomb Raider: Underworld???
Still not sure that movie should be called Star Trek,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

3. Re: BSG Mar 21, 2009, 11:47 Ray Marden

I was really annoyed with the ending, but only because of what I wanted it to have: a gigantic shocker, everybody coming together, more of a puppet master element, etc.

If you look at the actual show, though, especially where it had gone in the last two years, this really is the way this show needed to end.

Boring secret text: Roslin died, per her prophecy, Adama can quit fighting, Starbuck effectively ascends back to the heavens now that she led the people to the new land, Cylons and human alike come from the same hybrid ancestor, and the cycle has a chance to be broken or at least greatly changed. In either case, there are two "angels" watching over things.

It is not even a depressing ending, if you can look at it from a different perspective. They found what they were looking for, people can live to their hearts, and errors can be rectified.

The single biggest clue is the 150,000 years. SST: How long did it take the other colonies and Earths to die? How quickly was the cycle repeated? How short of a period? Though treading some danger, here it is 150,000 years lates still going forward...

Alternately, short of a happy ending love fest, how else could they have ended the show? In the first two years, I admit they could have done something else, though I do question how much of a lasting impact it would have. But given what has happened in the last two years, a "happy fan ending" really would have been fairly trite.

It is not what I wanted, but it does make sense and it is not, in fact, a depressing ending. People have to make sure they do not make the same mistakes, people have to affect change, and having faith plays a huge role in that world.

Meanwhile, I love BSG, but I do not feel anything positive about Caprica. I will give it a shot, simply from my love for BSG, but...um...yeah.

Looking towars the cabin on the horizon,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Trek Mar 21, 2009, 10:59 Creston

Interesting article. I didn't realize there was so much resistance to a new Trek on TV, I figured that was pretty much a done deal. (Why else reboot the franchise in movie form?)

Is there ANY good sci-fi currently on TV?

Sigh.

Creston

1. BSG Mar 21, 2009, 10:55 Creston

BSG's final season has to be the most depressing thing I've ever watched on TV. It was only topped by its final episode, which was the most depressing thing basically ever.

I wonder if there's a single person out there who watched the show and thought to himself "You know what would be awesome? If the large part of characters we've been watching for four seasons will either die, vanish or kill themselves by the end!"
Because I think that's who Ron Moore wrote the show for.

And the one fucker who DESERVED to die didn't. Well, two fuckers.

Bah.

Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo