Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 DLC

Steam News has word that the Fortunes Pack is now available as new DLC for Far Cry 2, for $4.99. Word is: "This pack includes three brand new weapons, two new vehicles, and five new Multiplayer maps."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 20, 2009, 00:05 theyarecomingforyou

Duplicate post.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 00:06.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 20, 2009, 00:05 theyarecomingforyou

They should have also added leaning and prone. Aside from that, the port was pretty well-done. I only wish they hadn't made such horrible design choices with the ridiculous respawns and tedious missions.
Indeed. The game was very good for a PC release - it didn't feel like a console shooter - but it was the design decisions that let it down, regardless of platform.

Another problem is how the world doesn't really feel alive. There are no friendly NPCs wandering around, no people fishing, no people traveling roadside, no people waiting for the bus, no people really doing anything. During the game's intro sequence, they show things like this but you never see it in actual gameplay.
Exactly. The first time I came across a guard post I tried driving up to it slowly figuring I'd be able to get through it peacefully. It's a shame because during the intro they show the guy bribing the guards. And there is no neutral / friendly AI, except for your buddies and mission people. And having respawning guard posts makes it feel less like a real world.

I would have liked FC2 to be a lot more like STALKER.
+10. STALKER and FC2 combined would be an epic game. FC2 did a lot right but lacked depth and narrative progression, whereas STALKER SoC got the atmosphere spot on and Clear Sky had incredible weather effects and very strong AI. SoC with the engine and polish of FC2 would be ideal.

25. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 23:22 Jerykk

In what way was it too console? It had a bunch of graphics options, took advantage of the greater PC hardware for DX10 support and some nice visuals, had quicksave, controlled well...

It's good that they added quicksave to the PC version. They should have also added leaning and prone. Aside from that, the port was pretty well-done. I only wish they hadn't made such horrible design choices with the ridiculous respawns and tedious missions.

Another problem is how the world doesn't really feel alive. There are no friendly NPCs wandering around, no people fishing, no people traveling roadside, no people waiting for the bus, no people really doing anything. During the game's intro sequence, they show things like this but you never see it in actual gameplay. You occasionally see enemies driving back and forth along the same road over and over for no apparent reason but that's hardly impressive. I would have liked FC2 to be a lot more like STALKER.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 23:28.

24. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 22:10 StingingVelvet

I like the game played threw it a couple times but it just left me thinking how good it could have been with a little more PC and a lot less console.

In what way was it too console? It had a bunch of graphics options, took advantage of the greater PC hardware for DX10 support and some nice visuals, had quicksave, controlled well...

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 22:10.

23. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 20:56 Bone43

I like the game played threw it a couple times but it just left me thinking how good it could have been with a little more PC and a lot less console.  

22. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 20:53 StingingVelvet

I liked the game a good bit... with the camo outfit and the silenced MP5 you can play the game in a whole different way, and the same goes for if you use the high powered sniper rifle.

The two main problems I see are with "respawning enemies," which I just avoid, and with "enemies see me through foliage," which I never found to be true as I sneak up on them all the time.

The one thing I hate about the game is the enemies take too many hits to die, but that is a common problem with FPS games lately.

21. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 20:44 theyarecomingforyou

So... "it's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Bull. If I am literally unable to see the enemy due to foliage, they shouldn't be able to see me. Pure and simple. "But it enhances the challenge!" is apologist revisionist bull. Same with people sniping me from a mile away with an AK-47. If I literally can not hit someone from that range with an assault rifle, they shouldn't be able to hit me either.
Nonsense. It's not a bug at all and I'm not trying to justify a mistake. If you're close to a bush and the enemy is at a distance then they have a better view of you. That's why you position yourself behind solid objects. It's also possible to flank snipers, which is exactly what I did earlier. Snipers can be a bit problematic in more open areas but, despite the challenge, I never felt they were unfair. Whereas the original Far Cry was appalling because enemies would shoot through tents at obscene distances with pinpoint accuracy. FC2 makes you think about combat and really makes you consider cover.

A game where sloppy game design makes enemies invincible isn't a feature, it's a black mark.
Huh? I never came across invincible enemies.

Same with people sniping me from a mile away with an AK-47. If I literally can not hit someone from that range with an assault rifle, they shouldn't be able to hit me either.
Firstly, if you fully upgrade the accuracy of your weapons then it's fully possible to hit people with incredible accuracy at a distance. Secondly, I've not come across people shooting at me unrealistically with an assault rifle (not at a distance where I couldn't hit them back), though I have been shot at from huge distances with a sniper rifle. Make sure you're buying your weapons from the dealer regularly and not using old weapons or those picked up from bodies (which are always unrealistically worn).

Far Cry 2 is overflowing with sloppy design decisions. No friendly AI to speak of, horridly unrealistic hostile AI, repetitive missions, using an "alternate" set of weapons for AI than for the player (AI is FAR more accurate, especially at extreme range, than most players ever will be with the same weapons), and dodgy detection mechanics (true story, I snuck up in a savanna area, behind a boulder, behind a hill, to kill some badguys on the other side of the hill.
Yup, I agree.

Far Cry 2 took all of the complaints from the first Far Cry and threw them into a bonfire and completely recreated the worst parts of FC1. Which makes me wonder if the AI is hard-coded into the engine or something.
No. They removed the sci-fi plot elements (mutants), substantially improved vehicle (best in any FPS to date), made the game completely explorable, added depth (weapon reliability, health system, map, diamonds), dramatically improved the AI and combat, improved the graphics, gave it a serious real world plot, created the best fire system ever seen and gave it a new feel that didn't simply rehash the previous game (like Crysis did). The issues in FC2 come from the developers being incredibly ambitious but ultimately making some pretty serious design issues, not from breaking what was already in the previous game.

I accept that there are some serious issues BUT the game is incredibly fun. I'd forgotten how good the game was before giving it a decent play earlier today.

20. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 19:55 Reactor

Flatline, quit whining. It's an imperfect game, but it's a fun one. If you missed somewhere that games can be repetitive and not perfectly representative of the real world, and yet somehow still be enjoyable, that's something to give yourself a slap for.  

19. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 19:29 Flatline

However, the combat is exceptional and the dense foliage really has you running about trying to find the best location, using trees for cover as you try to locate the enemies. And the long distance snipers gave the game that extra dimension, especially as they're not one-hit kills. I was just playing now and came across one of the snipers and it really made me think about how I was going to approach the combat.

So... "it's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Bull. If I am literally unable to see the enemy due to foliage, they shouldn't be able to see me. Pure and simple. "But it enhances the challenge!" is apologist revisionist bull. Same with people sniping me from a mile away with an AK-47. If I literally can not hit someone from that range with an assault rifle, they shouldn't be able to hit me either.

A game where sloppy game design makes enemies invincible isn't a feature, it's a black mark. Far Cry 2 is overflowing with sloppy design decisions. No friendly AI to speak of, horridly unrealistic hostile AI, repetitive missions, using an "alternate" set of weapons for AI than for the player (AI is FAR more accurate, especially at extreme range, than most players ever will be with the same weapons), and dodgy detection mechanics (true story, I snuck up in a savanna area, behind a boulder, behind a hill, to kill some badguys on the other side of the hill. No detection miraculously, until I get behind the boulder, at which point the bad guys on the other side of the hill "detect" me somehow, run over the hill, and blow me away. I believe there is just a general radius you get within and the enemy is alerted to you).

Far Cry 2 took all of the complaints from the first Far Cry and threw them into a bonfire and completely recreated the worst parts of FC1. Which makes me wonder if the AI is hard-coded into the engine or something.

18. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 19:19 Flatline

PC gaming is dieing, I don't give a fuck what people say. In my eyes it is... and the developers that bitch about this happening are the ones causing it.

I'll agree with you the day that consoles start supporting native mouse/keyboard setups.

RTS and FPS would flood onto consoles and forego the PC more or less, and gaming would die on the PC.

17. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 18:58 Joss

"And it's cheaper to sell shit and keep people buying it than it is to support and grow a good product year after year."

That's it in a nutshell. So let that be sign for a game Developer not giving out modding tools = No Future Shit Title.

16. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 18:35 necrosis

Microsoft came out with Xbox Live and everyone fell over themselves to pay for a service that should be free and then Microsoft micro-transactioned people to death with DLC, where again console people ate it up and asked for more!
I feel this way to. XBox 360 proved micro transactions work and idiots will gobble it up.

The thing is it was NEW on consoles. HDD's, upgrades, patches. They threw something new at a... new market. Old skool PC users are the only ones crying fowl because we are used to free content, user created content. Console only people don't know better, the ability to DL ANYTHING is new to them so paying for it does not phase them as much.

Problem is now this shit is affecting the PC market. Delayed PC releases, games that started and built their empire leaving for consoles, series after series after series getting COMPLETELY BUTCHERED to work on consoles, PSYCHO DELAYED or NON EXISTENT SDK's/Map editors/DEDICATED SERVER'S... I could go on.

PC gaming is dieing, I don't give a fuck what people say. In my eyes it is... and the developers that bitch about this happening are the ones causing it.

15. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 18:34 StingingVelvet

Shame it's for the Steam version only.  

14. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 18:11 theyarecomingforyou

2. Dangerous Animals! it would make the game sooo much more interesting if u creep through the grass lands to a base and get attacked by a lion.
They're talking about that for the next DLC: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3721.html

Still, I question the benefit of adding predatory animals to the game. You only have enough ammo thanks to the enemies you kill and I'm pretty sure lions don't carry machine gun ammo - it basically means you'll have to sink all your ammo into creatures leaving you stuck when you then come across enemies.

13. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 17:49 w00kie

The DLC this game really needs is:

1. A SINGLE PLAYER map editor that would of added HOURS of re-play

2. Dangerous Animals! it would make the game sooo much more interesting if u creep through the grass lands to a base and get attacked by a lion. Or swimming up the river to see a crocodile! That would be worth a few gold coins.

12. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 17:11 DangerDog

What the hell happened between now and then?

Microsoft came out with Xbox Live and everyone fell over themselves to pay for a service that should be free and then Microsoft micro-transactioned people to death with DLC, where again console people ate it up and asked for more!

11. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 16:51 Tumbler

Developers/Publishers discovered that if they let players share their own content then additional content they want to sell in the future (aka expansion packs) have more competition and have to either sell fewer copies or drop the price.

People who purchase games are a commodity to be exploited, not competition to be nurtured. They don't want lots of free content. They want only their content that costs money.

DICE had fantastic support for BF1942, BF2 was largely built on the backs of the Desert Combat Mod. That probably didn't make them too happy that their road to rome and secret weapons expansion packs got ignored in favor of a free mod called desert combat.

BF2 has pretty good support for mods but the subtle changes made it much harder to get people interested in free content and I don't think anyone is touching BF2142, certainly not BF:BC.

Free content is competition for them they don't want.

It would be if they intended to keep selling their products but they want to spend millions of dollars making a new game then sell that for $60 instead of trying to get more and more people to buy copies of an older game.

It's all about Hype. Hype sells. Hype sells A LOT of shit. And it's cheaper to sell shit and keep people buying it than it is to support and grow a good product year after year.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 16:45 theyarecomingforyou

Also: charging for multiplayer content is fucking stupid. My experience with Battlefield 1942 multiplayer expansions: not enough people bought them, so lots of servers refused to put the maps in rotation, giving you less incentive to buy them. In short, charging for multiplayer content segregates the community.
Absolutely. Especially when the FC2 map editor is so easy to use that custom maps are played on most servers.

I remember when I could download damn near full title mods for the original Unreal Tournament (or any mod friendly title) for free. Never mind three weapons, two vehicles, and five maps.
Mods still exist but it takes a lot more work to match the quality of professional titles, much more than in the past. Not only that but modding tools have been lacking, as FC2 only featured a map editor - they deliberately didn't include modding support to protect the DLC / expansions they were planning. That, to me, is a stupid idea because if the modding community gets behind a title it really lifts it, like was the case with UT99 and the original Half-Life.

I stopped playing 1 hour after getting the game because of the HORRIBLE mouse lag.
Never noticed it myself.

I quit playing after a day or so when I realized that yes, the enemies were spawning right in front of me, and yes, they could snipe me through a quarter mile of heavy jungle foliage (no line of sight) with an AK-47 that looks like more rust than metal.
The respawning, constant guard posts, malaria, repetitive missions and vehicle chases / running you over were annoying and really detracted from the game. However, the combat is exceptional and the dense foliage really has you running about trying to find the best location, using trees for cover as you try to locate the enemies. And the long distance snipers gave the game that extra dimension, especially as they're not one-hit kills. I was just playing now and came across one of the snipers and it really made me think about how I was going to approach the combat. The only other game that did that for me was Clear Sky.

FC2 is so close to being a great game but some serious design flaws really let it down. I really hope they produce a FC3 and listen to the criticism. They at least did a better job responding to the criticism of the original Far Cry than Crytek did with Crysis. However, it's very disappointing that the multiplayer has not been supported and no patches have been released to address the main gameplay concerns (the ones that are patchable).

9. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 16:40 Marvin T. Martian

UBI---Da Vinci Code that translates to POS----which is what UBI PC games are known for now.  

8. Re: Far Cry 2 DLC Mar 19, 2009, 16:15 Wallshadows

I remember when I could download damn near full title mods for the original Unreal Tournament (or any mod friendly title) for free. Never mind three weapons, two vehicles, and five maps.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo