Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Starsiege TRIBES to Return

At first glance InstantAction Brings Tribes To Your Web Browser on Kotaku seems like another article about Fallen Empires: Legions, the browser-based game that's been called a "spiritual successor" to Starsiege TRIBES. Of course, this is why second glances were invented (well, that and thong bathing suits), since closer examination reveals this unveils plans to bring TRIBES itself to InstantAction, so the highly regarded shooter by GarageGames progenitor Dynamix is returning as well. Word is they will debut the TRIBES revival at GDC next week, showing off improved graphics and modding options.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 31, 2009, 14:13 Flatline

That's not exactly true. In T1, at least, with enough skill, planning and timing, you could grab the flag and be gone in a split second with defense having no chance to catch up. You'd never see this in Quake or UT.

That youtube link isn't running a vanilla copy of tribes. Looks like there's some shock grenade jumping and a few other things. The spinfusor's disc is orange instead of blue, suggesting it's a different weapon.

Even in base Tribes, two good snipers could lock wide swaths of a map down if they were communicating. When I first started to play Tribes, me and the dude who sat next to me at the LAN party would always kit out with a sniper rifle, and we'd communicate. We'd find perches to establish crossfires, and would use our rifles in tandem to take out light armor in one volley. Medium and heavy armor was too slow, even skiing, so the extra volley time was negligible.

We'd have people blowing through the map with our flag like a greased crack monkey, but the two of us could usually snipe him out of the air, kill him dead, and a team member would pick up the flag to return it. In fact, thanks to the momentum of the physics engine, once you were airborne you were often an easier target to hit than on the ground. You were committed to your flight arc, and could only gently modify your flight path. Made sniping out of the air easy.

All this changed when we moved on to Renegades, but base tribes was pretty easy to mount a solid defense if you communicated.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 20, 2009, 06:16 LittleMe

That's not exactly true. In T1, at least, with enough skill, planning and timing, you could grab the flag and be gone in a split second with defense having no chance to catch up. You'd never see this in Quake or UT.

Not true. The Quake 2 ctf had 'grapple monkeys' where you could not catch up to them because of the slow mechanics of weapon switching to the grapple made it so that you couldn't chase & fire at the same time.

Alternatively, Quake1's instant weapon switch allowed fast grapplers to escape but a skilled chaser could shoot him down but it was more about overall skill than just running like quake2.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2009, 06:16.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

46. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 19, 2009, 05:01 Jerykk

I cannot stand any of the Unreal games where the people move at, well, unreal speeds. It is far too cartoony and twitch where T1 and T2 somehow had weight to everything. I never felt I could haul ass away from anyone, especially in T2 against a good Tank crew or Shrike pilot.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVU9fWNAKs

45. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 19, 2009, 04:41 Surf

Speed

I really enjoyed the speed/feel of T2. The game was a tad slower, to me, that Tribes 1. T1 was great as well. I cannot stand any of the Unreal games where the people move at, well, unreal speeds. It is far too cartoony and twitch where T1 and T2 somehow had weight to everything. I never felt I could haul ass away from anyone, especially in T2 against a good Tank crew or Shrike pilot.

Loved those vehicles and the mobile base.

44. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 19, 2009, 04:18 Beaner

Yeah, I don't really enjoy Legions either. The added midair direction changing is nice but overall mobility feels greatly limited when compared to Tribes.

This is one of the more interesting things about Legions vs Tribes. A lot of people that like Legions talk up the fact that its faster, but I don't really think that's true. Its fast in regards to the ease at which you can gain speed and with overdrive yes its fast. But it doesn't have the mobility feel of Tribes. That is with Tribes you just could move quickly from a standstill and your momentum once you got going didn't really sputter so quickly. In Legions your momentum sputters out quickly if you don't keep finding a steep slope or hill to downski on. Almost like TV but nowhere near as bad. This is why the rabbiting and chasing issues are so prevalent in the game. Currently because of that Legions only really plays well on smaller maps. With Tribes it didn't really matter the size of the map, whether it was a pub or a pu. They have however improved the movement a lot. It just needs a bit more tweaking.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 04:21.

43. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 19, 2009, 01:38 Jerykk

And as much as I liked T1, I really hope they plan to make a new Tribes game on their new engine. Sort of a combination of T1 and T2C. I just cant get into this Legions thing its just not the same.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy Legions either. The added midair direction changing is nice but overall mobility feels greatly limited when compared to Tribes. I also don't like the combat. GG should just scrap Legions and focus on remaking Tribes with better graphics, popular script integration and a couple of new weapons (Shocklance plz) to replace the ELF and Blaster. Maybe even some new packs to replace the Sensor Jammer and Ammo Pack.

A full, big-budget sequel would be ideal but that won't happen. GG doesn't have enough funding and a big-budget PC exclusive shooter is very unlikely in today's gaming climate.

42. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 19, 2009, 00:44 Beaner

Awesome sauce. Tribes is like a Led Zeppelin of the multiplayer FPS world. Its such a classic that never gets old and yet its never really garnered the commercial support or respect it deserves. Hopefully with the IP in the right hands it can be resurrected the right way and young console kids can discover why it can make many of the other FPS games seem a bit boring. And as much as I liked T1, I really hope they plan to make a new Tribes game on their new engine. Sort of a combination of T1 and T2C. I just cant get into this Legions thing its just not the same.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 00:57.

41. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 23:29 BubbleMage

Suck my disc.  

40. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 23:15 Sepharo

I missed out on Tribes 1 and only spent a few months with Tribes 2.

Looking forward to this.

39. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 22:57 Jerykk

Scripts allow cheating.

Any PC game enables cheating, whether or not you officially support mods and scripts.

There were some cheats in T1 and T2 but they were fixed and weren't a problem if you played on good servers. Scripts added a lot to the games, streamlining or making apparent functionality that already existed. It wasn't cheating, it was making the game better. If T1 hadn't had such a large script community, Dynamix wouldn't have learned from them and integrated them into T2.

As for a proper Tribes sequel, I don't know if that's even possible. The series has such a fragmented fanbase that you simply can't please them all with one game. T1 fans hated T2 and T2 fans hated T:V. Even within T1, the Shifter and Renegades communities were completely separate from the base Tribes fans. The different fanbases have completely different reasons for liking Tribes.

WESTERN ALLIANCE -- best Tribes 1 clan!

I'm pretty sure Imperial Elite was the best T1 clan of all time. Those guys were unbelievable.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 23:00.

38. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 22:47 Morgan19

I said a camera at to see people waiting at inventory, not to see if people were cheating. Oi.

Regardless, people will find ways to cheat even if there were no scripts. They were definitely more of a boon than a hindrance.

m19

37. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 21:44 Surf

Scripts allow cheating. If they were gone, there would be no cheating and you wouldn't need something as idiotic as a camera to see if someone was cheating. If caught, what do you do? Bitch? Like that will ban someone.

Scripts SUCK!

36. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 20:50 Morgan19

I for one hope they BAN ALL SCRIPTS as that ruined the game for me. All scripts do is allow losers to cheat in order to get an unfair advantage

Adding shadows, being able to set your favorites up outside a station, and adding an inventory cam so you can see if people are waiting are cheating and unfair? Mmm... I'd reconsider that statement.

m19

35. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:56 Jackplug

Ive just read it now, this is brilliant news :o)  

34. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:22 Overon

That was just you. Learn2Play.
Spoken like a true Tribes fan lol.

33. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:17 Overon

Oh my god. Have our prayers been answered?  

32. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:16 Roachmojo

T2 was the shit. The only thing I didn't like about it was all the whining little T1 bitches who didn't like it. Fuck T1, I loves my T2 Shrike.  

31. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:06 DedEye

No other game to date has held my attention as long as Tribes did. BF1942 came close (if I include the pre-release wake island demo ;))

I had Voodoo card when T2 came out and was disappointed. U/G to nvidia (think it was geforce or geforce 2 at the time) and schwing!

I still fire it up once in awhile but there aren't too many base servers, which has always been my fave.

Good luck to the devs, I'd love to see it succeed.

30. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 19:00 Surf

I for one hope they BAN ALL SCRIPTS as that ruined the game for me. All scripts do is allow losers to cheat in order to get an unfair advantage.

I am fine with mods that affect all users in the game or new maps.

I prefer T2 over T1 but either would be welcome!

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 19:00.

29. Re: Starsiege TRIBES to Return Mar 18, 2009, 16:47 ColoradoHoudini

I've wanted a new Tribes since.. well.. for damn near ever. The closest a game came was Unreal XMP, which I believe could still be a badass game if redone on a good engine (not a pig engine like XMP was)..

Failing that..

a true successor to the Tribes franchise is sorely needed. A "thinking man's" FPS.. not that bullshit that was Tribes:V
I remember in beta saying "nobody is going to like this.. it's too twitchy etc.." of course the idiot fanboys who knew nothing of the original Tribes told me to shutup.. yeah, turns out i was right.

Give me a real Tribes 4.. with all the goodness that was in Tribes 1 and the fixed version of Tribes 2.

I want to set up my top defenses in my heavy and play a long game of cat and mouse. With my turrets, mines, camera, inv station and my big guns.

WESTERN ALLIANCE -- best Tribes 1 clan!

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo