Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Playing a twitch shooter like QUAKE LIVE made me painfully aware of how slow the polling was for my trusty MX518 mouse under Windows Vista. I looked it up, and sure enough it was 125Hz, and apparently forcing a higher rate under Vista requires more hax0ring than seemed worth it. So I picked up a snazzy new laser G9 jobbie with the interchangeable shells and weights and all, as it supports a 1000Hz rate. I have to say the difference surprised me, and I immediately went from being a little below average to a little above. It's funny how many other shooters I played where I never noticed this, but in Quake it was painfully evident right away.

Twitchy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Bureau of Steam Engineering.
Boxheaded.
Perspectite.
Links: The Top 7 games you either love or hate.
Meet the Cajun Crawler - A Segway Like Device With Legs.
5 Ways 'Common Sense' Lies To You Everyday.
Story: Harlan Ellison ANGRILY Sues Paramount Over His Old "Star Trek" Script. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Gravity satellite heads skyward. Thanks brother19.
Teen dinosaurs hung out, got into trouble. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Cows Really Do Have a Magnetic Sixth Sense.
Images: Alien Versus Predator Game Night. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: How much is that Invisible Doggie in the window?
NCAA Expands March Madness To Include 4,096 Teams.
Follow-ups: Space Station Safe From Space Junk.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 21:02 Tanto Edge

Games radar has great stuff.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 16:44 FatalTourist

The G19 is the current keyboard with unnecessary LCD.
Maybe when you're waiting for a game to load, you can play a smaller game on the LCD.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4956&cl=us,en

Escape Pod Films

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 16:08 Kxmode

Have you guys seen Logitech's G15 Gaming Keyboard?! It has a freaking LCD screen that can be setup to display the current time on a song, your CPU's temperature, or any number of possibilities!

However if I had a mere $1692.31 I'd buy an Optimus keyboard!
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 16:00 Bucky

Have you guys seen Logitech's G15 Gaming Keyboard?! It has a freaking LCD screen that can be setup to display the current time on a song, your CPU's temperature, or any number of possibilities!

Couple it with Everest and you can display just about any system information you can think of. Very handy for overclocking.

Edit(2): Well that was odd, my edit ended up in the wrong post.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 16:05.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 14:44 Wallshadows

The OCZ Equializer 750 mouse is about as good as it gets for the $20 (cnd) I spent on it. Six settings from 600 to 2500 dpi, five buttons, and sleek design really make it a champion.

The only problem I have is a terrible habit of being a clumsy pointer; often moving my mouse and clicking it in the wrong place. So many times have I mistakenly close firefox tabs when I only wanted to click on the cell next to it...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 13:56 DG

I'm using a mx510 on vista 64. I didn't even bother with the logitech software, is there any point? Oh and is there any benefit of USB over PS2? I'm sure initially people were saying PS2 was better because usb has latency.

I actually went to have a look at a G9 today as I have some vouchers but the store doesn't have it. TBH I like the mnx510's two side buttons (back/forward in browser; p2talk/main weapon in games) though I could settle for 1 if the mouse is that much better.

I use a 5 basic MS keyboard and it's fine for me. The keys are responsive but tactile. I can't imagine using the plethora of extra keys on the fancy keyboards.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 13:58.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 12:26 kimbambaman

I always kind of found the Logitech peripherals over-priced, the mice are the best, so I guess thats OKAY, but the other stuff is just not worth it.

I agree. I can understand how critical the mouse is for competitive players but for me I'm way more interested in how comfortable the mouse is (for work purposes) than its refresh rate.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 11:38 InBlack

I always kind of found the Logitech peripherals over-priced, the mice are the best, so I guess thats OKAY, but the other stuff is just not worth it.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 11:26 Enahs

I have now.
It looks stupid.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 11:12 Kxmode

Have you guys seen Logitech's G15 Gaming Keyboard?! It has a freaking LCD screen that can be setup to display the current time on a song, your CPU's temperature, or any number of possibilities! Thumbsup

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1870601,00.asp

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 11:07 Warhawk

Busy day yesterday - went to my own Dr. Toothy (his name is Dr. Payne - yeah, I know, but he's pretty good) and they said they accidentally scheduled the appointment too soon and I would need to come back another time (to qualify for the 6-month insurance requirement for cleanings). No biggie, they aren't far from the house (15-20 min) so I went to work. Got a call later - they had pulled my dad's file by accident (same first name, different middle names) so I was due after all. Need to reschedule.

Gave blood after work - and if you haven't donated in a while, don't be a pansy and go! It really doesn't hurt much at all. Does a lot of good!

Also was our 6-year old's first T-ball practice this season. Should be a fun T-ball year!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 09:43 Ant

I still use cheap PS/2 mice. I'd get USB, but I still use those old KVM switches, from 2000, that have VGA and PS/2 ports (the newer ones are way too expensive). However, I rarely play games these days (0-2 hours a week; in fact, I haven't gamed for like a month!).  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 06:10 Bucky

I actually downgraded from the G9 back to the 2-button G5. The G9 is a phenomenal mouse, but the way the outer shells forced me to grip the mouse started to cause some serious discomfort after even moderate length gaming sessions. I had high hopes that Logitech would eventually release shells of different shapes (I was one of the first adopters of the G9) but since release all they've done is offer a single stock shell with a customizable logo.

With that said, maybe I'll dig it out and try again since it seems to have helped the Quake Live experience so much. That's right after all the parts arrive today for my new Core i7 rig.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 06:05 emgarf

That's funny - I also went from a MX518 (awesome) to a G9 (godlike), although it had nothing to do with Vista, which I was able to bend to my mousing will in both cases.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 05:26 InBlack

Thanks for the heads up Blue, Im using an MX518 (my third so far) and have no intention to switching to the G series. Laser mice are considerably more fragile and the rough surface textures get dirty much much quicker.

The MX518 is smooth and fast enough, so I guess this is another reason to stay away from Vista for the time being.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2009, 05:30.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 04:27 Cutter

Sounds like a good call. My G5 has all but given up the ghost and I'm looking for a new mouse anyway.

Teen dinosaurs? Hah, those punks dserved it!

AvP Game night? Sweet shots! Love those! Particularly the pool one.

Harlan Ellison article! Awesome! His statement and the rebuttal. Brilliant! Best damn thing I've read in a long while! And oddly enough - or maybe not so oddly - both of them are right. Sort of like Relativity and Quantum mechanics - mutually exclusive but both correct.

St Paddy's - Ahhh, what a joy it was. Gosh and be'gorah and all that jive. It wasn't as painful as it could have been, but it was still painful nonetheless. I'm just glad it's done. And it's 4am - I just rolled in an hour ago and I'm tilting a bunch of gin and tonics - drink of champions, doncha' know! - to good ol' St. Patrick and my Irish kin everywhere.

If any of my fellow Bluesers are in the big smoke ever want to come by and say hi, just shoot me an email, we'll have a beer and a laugh. I just don't like to publish personal details like that on the net what with the identity theft and what not all going on these days.

And as someone mentioned yesterday, no, it's Paddy, not Patties. Patties are style of food. Paddys are Irish. Paddy is also the informal for Patrick, which is why the Irish are called Paddys, after St. Patrick. So, using the vernacular, you'd say St. Paddy's, not St. Patties.

Now, pog mahon, ya bastards!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Alien Versus Predator Mar 18, 2009, 02:48 DangerDog

They were done in Modo

http://www.luxology.com/gallery/image/?mode=Search&tags=alien

pretty cool.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 02:33 Flo

I bought a Sidewinder X8 Mouse just for Q3
Feels like being 16 again...

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2009, 01:11 Dr. D. Schreber

The G9 is an awesome mouse, especailly with the sensitivity ajuster placed right below the left button. But careful on those weights; they can cause a lot of strain on your wrist.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo