Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 21:13 Aero

The peripheral thing really irks me about the Xbox360. I've been keeping my eye on the consoles, waiting for the prices to fall to a point where it's worth it to me.

I like racing sims a lot, but the pickings for good simulations on consoles are slim: Gran Tourismo on the PS3 and Forza & RACE Pro on the 360.

I understand that realism-wise Forza is the best. The trouble is that by all accounts the Microsoft steering wheel is utter garbage. Moreover, they won't license their force feedback implementation to other manufacturers, so there is no way out of getting shafted one way or the other.

The PS3 on the other hand will take a G25 which is an excellent wheel, and force feedback support isn't restricted (I understand there were some licensing catches, but that they've been sorted out by now). It also works with a PC to boot so knock $100 of the price of the PS3 because I don't have to buy another wheel as I would with the Xbox.

A good wheel really is necessary for these sorts of games, and even if Forza is more realistic than Gran Tourismo, having to use a crappy Microsoft wheel or a wheel with hobbled force feedback would pretty much wreck the experience.

Then there are the other games, and I'm told here that the Xbox360 is better in that regard. Racing sims may be my primary interest, but I like other games too, so I have to keep this in mind as well.

Really, that's what's messing it all up. I'm probably towards the extreme end of people nitpicking about peripherals, but from my perspective, each console has a very fundamental flaw--peripherals or software. Ultimately, that is putting me off all of them. It probably won't be until next Christmas that the prices of both start getting in the range where I'd pick up one or the other just for the hell of it, so we'll see how things go by then.

Maybe I ought to just buy a Wii and one of those boards for my girlfriend to dance around on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 16:36 Verno

That being said, both Sony and Microsoft gambled and lost on the market penetration of HDTV at this point in time. As a result, Nintendo is making money hand over fist with last-gen, disposable-cost hardware at next-gen prices (not to mention an incredibly effective marketing campaign).

Yeah great point but fortunately for Microsoft they realized their mistake and price dropped the system while also giving their low-price SKU more features. As a result it's selling very well now and they are comfortably ahead in second place overall. All of that despite their pathetic performance in Japan too. Sony is the one who just can't seem to see reason, it's pretty sad that my 15 year old cousin can accurately identify what their problems are yet their own executives seem to completely misjudge the market time and time again.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 16:27 RP

The PS2 is still doing amazingly well, too.

There was an article the other day about how digital distribution threatens the current loss-leader console strategy. How can you convince everyone to sell consoles at a loss for x/years if people start buying more and more digital games (where B&M retailers don't get a cut)? Someone suggested that retailers could get a small cut from every transaction made on a console bought from their store.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 16:12 killer_roach

right now people are looking to spend as little money on consoles as possible.

I'd argue that price doesn't always equate to value, but right now low cost of entry does seem to be the preferred way to go.

That being said, both Sony and Microsoft gambled and lost on the market penetration of HDTV at this point in time. As a result, Nintendo is making money hand over fist with last-gen, disposable-cost hardware at next-gen prices (not to mention an incredibly effective marketing campaign).

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 16:12 kimbambaman

“Everybody in the development community would love for the PS3 to be free, so they could just sell razor blades,” Dille said in an interview. Sony is concerned with profitability, as well as the installed base, he said.

Umm...what? This is the kind of tripe that continues to come out of Sony. Nobody expects gaming consoles to be free. Sell razor blades? What the hell does that even MEAN? WTF?

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 16:05 SpectralMeat

I don't think it really matters anymore if Sony cuts their prices or not. It is way too late, and the way the economy is right now people are looking to spend as little money on consoles as possible.

The days of "we build a better machine and sell it twice as expensive as the competition and people will buy it because the sticker says Sony on it" are gone.

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 15:35 Verno

What are you talking about? The 360 has far more quality exclusive games than the PS3. The Wii is the dumping ground for cheapo titles. Something like 80% of the titles on the PS3 and 360 are released for both systems. What you're saying doesn't even make sense. I agree the MS peripherals are priced too high but everything else reads like some dude just raging against The Man or something.

No, the PS3 is in third place squarely due to Sony's arrogance. They have even admitted that. It's also due to them not supporting developers efforts with a brand new CPU architecture. They went overboard with features and the system was too expensive to make and sell.

Even Home, despite a rocky start, will evolve and become something (I'm hoping) of stature. They've claimed they hope to reach a point where players can produce their own content.

I really doubt it, they didn't listen to developers or users needs. They just wanted to design their own vision of what they thought multiplayer interaction should be and tied a poorly thought out 3D social network to it. People can say what they will about Xbox Live costing money, I agree it's a bit stupid but you do get what you pay for at least there.

Macroshaft isn't terribly clever for your information, it's a company not your personal nemesis who steals your lunch money.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2009, 15:38.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 15:27 Tanto Edge

The 'problem' with the PS3 is its modularity. It accepts PC peripherals.
My local computer outlet charges pennies to the dollar against USB attachments sold for PS3.
The 360 has only high priced, cheaply made, 360 shit.
w00t for Macroshaft as they lead the way in landfill refuse. Burger King titles that could be produced for under a hundred grand because the sdk is freely available.
Freedom yes, standards no. But then, when was Macroshaft ever about standards?
The PS3 isn't so much market failure (bad timing, too expensive), the 360 is a massive success, in suckering the masses through mass marketing.

The PC peripherals, the cheap hard drives, the built in wireless, the built in bluray, when the system shipped, it included card readers, four usb ports and will still accept any 2.5" solid state as easily as any other Sata. It accepts multiple operating systems ..sort of..

The System offered too many options and didn't gouge the consumer enough to cover the costs as their plan was.
That is, the system's games and accessories would bridge the price gap and allow Sony to enjoy a positive margin. Not the case though, as despite the level of quality, consumers purchasing this stuff aren't necessarily affecting Sony's margin.

Even Home, despite a rocky start, will evolve and become something (I'm hoping) of stature. They've claimed they hope to reach a point where players can produce their own content.
They'd better move fast, because the competition on this is fierce, especially with everyone moving away from Second Life.
I'll admit I've spent nearly ten bucks through the Home service on imaginary shit, but not furniture, or homespaces... not yet I assume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 14:05 Verno

I don't think those companies understand that there is definitely a ceiling for that style of game and between all of the various brands, they might be already hitting it. The cost of the game/peripherals certainly isn't cheap and that's amplified more by the price of the DLC songs and all that.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 13:57 MindStalkerReturned

Viacom Inc., whose MTV division owns the rights to the Rock Band franchise, said last month that sales of Rock Band 2 were lower than it had hoped and cut into the company's profit.

Music games are "certainly losing steam," said Evan Wilson, senior research analyst at Pacific Crest Securities. "This year will establish the direction that this genre will go. Maybe it continues to take off. Maybe it tops out at 15% of the software market. Or it could just turn out to be a fad. I think the latter two scenarios are most likely."

It didn't "cut into the companies profits" it cut into the expected profits, BIG difference honestly. And 15%!?? You have 15% of the software market is your crying that its not higher. OMGWTFBBQ

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 13:34 Verno

Well mainly I wanted the PS3 since it was the only upgradeable Blu-Ray player at the time. But like I said, I couldn't justify that steep price tag. I'm seeing plenty of Blu-Ray releases in stores now but by the time I can't get DVD's anymore, Blu-Ray players will be like $50.00 anyways. They just need to price drop the PS3, it's pretty much that simple. They won't remain competitive otherwise.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 13:25 MMORPGHoD

When you can pick up a blu-ray player for $150, the PS3 starts looking overpriced. Before it made perfect sense to get the PS3 if you wanted something that played blu-ray movies, because all the players were up there in price anyways. Now it only makes sense if you seriously plan on playing PS3 games. The drop in blu-ray player prices should actually start adding to downward pressure on PS3 console price.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 13:09 Verno

I don't know, Blu-Ray is an incredible picture and well worth if you have the TV to back it up. I still can't justify spending that much money on a console, especially given accessories and games easily ups that another $200.00. They really do need to cut the price to stay competitive, the Xbox360 and Wii are kicking their butts all over town.

Home was a massive failure compared to XBL/NXE and WiiWare/etc.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2009, 13:16.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2009, 12:14 MrBone

Yeah, cut the price. Blu-ray is so over-hyped it isn't funny. As for the games...oh man. Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 are all I mess with now.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo