Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Utah's Game Bill Rolls On

HB 353, the Utah truth in advertising bill crafted with assistance by former attorney Jack Thompson has now passed the Utah State Senate after previously passing in the house, bringing it one step closer to being signed into law (at which point it will likely face a constitutional challenge). GamePolitics has a report on this, speculating that presentation of the bill was taken from "Jack Thompson's Playbook," something Thompson denies.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 20:01 ldonyo

Forrest Gump's mother was right, stupid is as stupid does.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. No subject Mar 13, 2009, 19:23 Umbragen

"What I remember of Utah: a state trooper..."

He pulled you over because you had California plates - he was looking/hoping he could find probable cause to search your vehicle for drugs. The 'weapon' thing, pure bullshit.

14. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 18:32 Frijoles

Can't get a drink there

Supposedly they're trying to change that. I'd give you specifics, but I haven't been paying attention to them. They're trying to increase tourism by making the drinking laws friendlier.

13. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 18:04 Prez

The place of origin of the bill is irrelevant. Bills of this flavor have been popping up (and subsequently shot down) all over the United States.

The problem I have with these news stories is that they rarely link to the actual bill, instead relying on a brief synapses which doesn't address the REAL concern gamers have with them - the inadequacy of verbiage that could allow for abuses down the road.

Bills of this ilk have not been overturned on Constitutional basis simply for being what they are, if the statements released by the overturning legal body is any indication. These bills routinely fail to pass Constitutional muster because of vague and ambiguous wordings that can, in the opinion of the courts, lead to unconstitutional infringement on the First Amendment.

If a bill can be crafted that will actually lessen the chance of children, without parental consent, obtaining inappropriate (for their age) media without allowing for future abuses by crusading nutjobs, then I would support it fully.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 17:33 Cutter

Utah, however, does have one of the most beautiful natural parks in the world.

Natural Bridges National Monument
http://www.nps.gov/nabr/

It's worth the drive to Acton!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 17:17 Hpankin

Yeah, Coolone, what was it about AnarKane's post that made you believe he was making a gross generalization about everyone in Utah? I swear, you guys gotta learn not to read so much of your own foibles into others' posts.  

10. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 17:05 AnarKane

I know, Coolone, that's why I'm not starting. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone in the state is that way.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

9. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 17:00 Coolone

Flatline, your friends obviously didn't leave the house, there's plenty to do outdoors here.

And AnarkKane, you're entitled to your opinion, but not all of us fit the stereotype.

And RP, our cops have nothing better to do, so I'm not surprised in the least about what happened to you.

*braces for a massive flaming*

8. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 16:54 Aero

Everyone I ever knew who grew up in Utah said the only two things to do out there, especially in SLC, is to do drugs and screw like bunnies.

Well, at least it's good to know they're getting a proper upbringing then. Some things are more important to developing a young man's character than video games. This is provided they leave as soon as they have the means though. I understand the benefits wear off as you get older and your resistance to assimilation wears down.

7. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 16:36 AnarKane

I won't even start my tirade about Mormons, Brigham Young, and Joke Thompson.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

6. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 15:35 RP

What I remember of Utah: a state trooper pulled me over because I grabbed a weapon from the back seat of my car, the weapon being a pair of sunglasses. After I stepped out of the car and took off my coat, he pated me down. Then he asked why someone with California plates would ever drive through the glorious state of Utah. I told him I was heading to Kansas.

He must've felt sorry for me because he promptly let me go.

5. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 15:25 Flatline

You know he is being backed by the Religious folk as the Religious folk like to destroy anything that's fun. Constitution? Pfft...

They aren't doing anything about the drug "problem" out there. IF they make games harder to buy for kids, you'll see the drug and premarital sex rate go even higher. Everyone I ever knew who grew up in Utah said the only two things to do out there, especially in SLC, is to do drugs and screw like bunnies.

4. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 14:58 Kxmode

Umeh  

3. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 14:25 Wallshadows

You know he is being backed by the Religious folk as the Religious folk like to destroy anything that's fun. Constitution? Pfft...

No wonder he picked Utah to lead his crusade.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

2. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 14:21 Techie714 ©

Utah=Fail!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Utah's Game Bill Rolls On Mar 13, 2009, 14:09 Surf

Utah - Do we need to say anything else? Can't get a drink there and its 70% Mormon.

Typical assholes.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo