Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Friday the 13th! It seems like just a month ago we had another of these. Curse you February, and your usually divisible by seven day count! Anyway, an interesting note as the QUAKE LIVE beta progresses is that is was eleven years ago today that John Carmack announced that what had previously been plans for a Quake II mission pack had been scrapped in favor of an all new game: Quake III, which eventually became Quake III Arena, and now QUAKE LIVE.

Lucky Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Visible.
Mr. Mullet.
Links: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time.
The Wednesday 10: Needs More Zombies.
The Nicolas Cage Movie Plot Generator.
Stories: Sears Tower renamed after insurance company. Thanks Jim. What you talkin' about Willis?
Scientist Makes Sure That No One Uses His Patent On Malaria Drug To Gouge The Poor.
Auction: Star Trek: Real (used on show) Dilithium Crystals. Thanks Devicer.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2009, 12:15 Enahs

Do you hate her. too?

Seeing is how she loves to go lingerie shopping with me, no, I actually do not.

Is there an Amber Alert in your area?

Whats his name?

I do hate you however.

And just to clarify for you tards. She wears the lingerie. Lets just nip that joke in the bud before it even starts.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2009, 12:16.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 22:50 jam777

Damn! That's alot of covers!!

IMO, the Psygnosis/Psyclapse covers were #1. SSI covers were 2nd.

Dungeons of Daggorath FTW!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 22:11 xXBatmanXx

On a positive note I started a new relationship a few months back; and she is by far the smartest and sexiest woman ever. So that is a plus.

Is there an Amber Alert in your area?

Whats his name?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 22:10 xXBatmanXx

Anyone catch or watching 20/20 tonight? Great insight to what is really going to happen with this "stimulus".

The media is FINALLY understanding common sense....to bad they are only doing it to have something to talk about and don't really give a shit.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 22:04 Warhawk

On a positive note I started a new relationship a few months back; and she is by far the smartest and sexiest woman ever. So that is a plus.

Do you hate her. too?

J/K - congrats!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

18. Re: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 20:01 Kxmode

The article should be renamed "40 Video Game Covers I think are The Tops of All Time". I guarantee you those are NOT the Top 40.  

17. Re: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 17:44 Cutter

Uh, no mention of any of the SSI Gold Box games? Those covers kicked ass. That and other CRPG's like Temple of Apshai, etc. All the SSI covers rocked!

e.g.
Curse of the Azure Bonds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Azure_Bonds

And holy crap! I just found this site looking around for some game covers and found THEE definitive cover site here. ZOMG! Check out some of these titles, man does it ever take me back!

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/c64-games

And that's just game covers, they have covers for everything!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 15:34 Enahs

Bummers PHJF. Sucks. How long must the "wound vac" be used?

On a related note. I had a bad cold for 2 weeks, and just as I was getting over it I got the freakin FLU.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 14:59 DG

HL2: "the designers cleverly simplified down to Half-Life's most distinctive image". IMHO they did that with the Edge next issue page that announced HL2, the most distinctive image is the crowbar and they cleverly shaped it into a "2" while allowing it to be mistaken for a question mark http://www.cs-linka.com.ar/linka_crowbar.jpg .

GTA4: arguably GTA3 being earlier with the very same idea disqualifies the latter game http://www.mobygames.com/game/grand-theft-auto-iii/cover-art/gameCoverId,12892/

I'd also argue for including Civilisation, either I or IV, for skilfully communicating the game's relatively complex premise and extensive span.

ps. I advise against googling pilonidal cystectomy.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 15:00.

14. Top 40 Video Game Covers of All Time Mar 13, 2009, 12:50 Kxmode

How did The Orange Box cover art rank so high? It's pretty bad.

It's a fluff piece with no real research. The editors likely told the author to make something that will increase traffic. The author went to Mobygames and scanned a list of games (presumably the top rated ones). Then made a Top 40 list...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 12:41 theAntiELVIS

YES! Forsaken! Thank you. Terrible game based on another terrible game.

Great artwork on the box and ads, though. I mean they obviously couldn't use any in-game images....

-tAE-

12. Re: Happy Friday the 13th! Mar 13, 2009, 10:02 nin

Beware of guys in hockey masks wielding machetes!

March 13 was also on a Friday in 1964...
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2009/03/dayintech_0313

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 10:02 Elf Shot The Food

How did The Orange Box cover art rank so high? It's pretty bad.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 09:38 |RaptoR|

I am glad Doom got a mention, but I think Quake should have been on there somewhere... the Q is iconic.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 09:30 |RaptoR|

AntiElvis - I think you're talking about Forsaken, the descent clone  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 09:11 sauron

Good link to the top 40 covers. System Shock 2 had a version of the cover that included metallic inks, that was the version I bought on release day and I'm not sure if it was a limited edition or not. Nice to see Grim Fandango in there too, and UltimaVII.

I'd definitely include Planescape:Torment in the list as well - the box and the disc holder inside were both bright orange and were so loud you almost needed a pair of shades to look at them.

btw nice to see the AntiElvis on the site.

Kittens!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 09:07 MTechnik

PHJF- I went through something kinda similar, but worse, lasted for years. You have my sympathy.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 08:36 WarPig

theAntiELVIS?

Holy shit - it's been a long time. Good to see that you're still alive. I used to enjoy your site.

GO SEAHAWKS!

5. Happy Friday the 13th! Mar 13, 2009, 03:43 Kxmode

Beware of guys in hockey masks wielding machetes! Knife  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2009, 03:29 fliptw

Forsaken  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo